Last Chemo Treatment....For Now!

Unknown
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Well folks, Bert finished his last chemo treatment today...but at another reduced dose. Diarrhea has plagued him nonstop and all the meds that have been prescribed just don't seem to help. He is dead tired, doesn't look well, and was told by the onc today that quite frankly, his body just can't take any more chemo. For the first time, he has lost weight (I guess that's from the endless going to the bathroom). Again, it was his last treatment on 3 cycles, six weeks each, of 5fu/leuc. He is scheduled to go back a week from today for blood tests and then has a regular appointment for scans, blood work, etc., late January. This may all not happen as we are scheduled to start with a new oncologist January 8, 2004 at USC/Norris cancer center (see previous posts for details). I know that the new onc will want to put Bert on two more months of chemo...and not just 5fu/leuc but 5fu/leuc/oxaliplatin. The doctor will do it, if memory services me correctly (LOL),by pump rather than infusion...supposed to be less toxic...is this true? Dr. Lenz (new onc) firmly believes that at minimum chemo should be at least six months...if not more. Bert really didn't have it that long. Even had he not missed two treatments (remember, he was hospitalized), he still would have only had 18 weeks of treatment, which does not equate to 6 months....and, the last six treatments were at reduced dosage, with today's being the lowest of them all. I am worried about him...he just looks so very tired and pale, yet his blood count continues to be normal and no other shots (ie, Procrit, etc.) were needed. He's still going to work daily, but that's about all he can do.

I wanted to also take a few moments to thank each of you for your tips on providing some relief for rectal burning as a result of the endless diarrhea. The last couple of days, things like Baby Wipes, Tucks, desitin, A&D ointment, etc., worked. Today it flared up again...so we'll just double dose the desitin and other creams.

Hugs to all,
Monika

Comments

• Pewter
    Pewter Member Posts: 24
    I realize Bert has had the chemo related diarrhea for some time, and has even been hospitalized for it,but has he ever been checked for C. difficile (a bacteria) in his stool? This infection is commonly seen with the use of antibiotics, but it is also found with 5 F/U treatments. I got it during my first round of 5 F/U, and actually had to be hospitalized for dehydration. I just happened to ask if I was tested for it, and the resident reluctantly agreed. Low and behold, it was there, and much improved after only two doses of flagyl. Just a thought - because you never know...
  • pattieb
    pattieb Member Posts: 168
    Pewter said:

I realize Bert has had the chemo related diarrhea for some time, and has even been hospitalized for it,but has he ever been checked for C. difficile (a bacteria) in his stool? This infection is commonly seen with the use of antibiotics, but it is also found with 5 F/U treatments. I got it during my first round of 5 F/U, and actually had to be hospitalized for dehydration. I just happened to ask if I was tested for it, and the resident reluctantly agreed. Low and behold, it was there, and much improved after only two doses of flagyl. Just a thought - because you never know...

monika
    I agree with pewter I had that after my surgery when I got home, I didn't take the fagel has they thought that was what caused it but they did give me something stronger and within a couple of days I had relief, so maybe you should have that checked. Good luck with the new onc.
    Pattie
  • If there was something I could do about it...absolutely, I would want the test. But if I couldn't do a thing until tumors had gotten that far, I agree with Pattie...I worry about to many things as it is and would rather not know.

Just my two cents worth.

Monika