Hair Help...

Options
AngelBaby
AngelBaby Member Posts: 47
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My hair is starting to grow back, HOWEVER, it is a different texture and color. My old hair was jet black and straight... now it's baby fine and auburn...What's the deal?

Comments

• jeancmici
    jeancmici Member Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    >>What's the deal?

It's always a surprise! Usually straight hair comes in curly - especially with young women _ i'm guessing about the age thing.

Mine was silver gray - thick and wavy - grew back straight and the longer on tamoxifen, the thinner it got. Now it is blah gray, and very thin. Of course, the recurrence I have is most on my mind but I MUST ADMIT that sometimes my hair which was so pretty is a real downer!

Your hair is probably not in its final state - wait for the next chapter.
    Jean
  • krisrey
    krisrey Member Posts: 194
    Options
    Hi AngelBaby,
    I have the same dilemma. While I am totally delighted that my hair is growing back, it is coming in an entirely different color. I had blondish hair before chemo, now sometimes it looks brownish,or very dark, sometimes it almost looks white...eeek!! I really don't care what color it is, it just feels good to have it back, everybody tells me it looks great and I am starting to go without a hat, so I feel GREAT!!
  • AngelBaby
    Options
    krisrey said:

Hi AngelBaby,
    I have the same dilemma. While I am totally delighted that my hair is growing back, it is coming in an entirely different color. I had blondish hair before chemo, now sometimes it looks brownish,or very dark, sometimes it almost looks white...eeek!! I really don't care what color it is, it just feels good to have it back, everybody tells me it looks great and I am starting to go without a hat, so I feel GREAT!!

Yes I am glad that it's coming back considering what we have all experienced. I don't yet have enough to go without my wig but soon....
  • hounddog
    hounddog Member Posts: 115
    Options
    After chemotreatments hair comes back different. I bet your hair is very soft also . My hair is very soft and starting to curl in the back. Mine came back the same color . A friend of mine from church she and I went through the exact same chemo treatments her hair came back very curly. My stepmom had a friend that went through chemo treatments and her friends hair came back dark and curly. It is the chemo that does that.
    Marilyn
  • Snookums
    Snookums Member Posts: 148
    Options
    hounddog said:

After chemotreatments hair comes back different. I bet your hair is very soft also . My hair is very soft and starting to curl in the back. Mine came back the same color . A friend of mine from church she and I went through the exact same chemo treatments her hair came back very curly. My stepmom had a friend that went through chemo treatments and her friends hair came back dark and curly. It is the chemo that does that.
    Marilyn

Well, mine has been growing back in since August and I had wavy, curly at the ends hair that was blonde. Now, I have CURLY, tight spiral curls and my hair is brownish. I wish I could blame the gray at my temples on chemo but that came from 20 years of teaching and especially the last 10 which were in Junior High! So, I agree that I am happy to have hair and I think I would be safe to Hi-Light it in Jan or Feb which is 6 months after chemo so the gray will go away. I need, as my neighbor said, to get it back to it's original color! HaHA- Happy Holidays to all of you and may God bless you and your families this year and next! Candy
  • me2
    me2 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    My last chemo was Sept. my hair is about 1/2" long. It's dark, straight and baby soft. Can't wait to go without the wig!
  • TylersMom1
    TylersMom1 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Hi,
    My hair came back baby fine but the same color. It also came back very curly. My onco said the curls would probably go away in 6 months or so but I still have them (it has been about 9 months). The texture of being baby fine lasted about 6 months and now it feels like my old hair. As my hairdresser says, "A lot of people pay good money to get the curls I now have". I would rather have paid the money then gotten them the way I did! I know I am just happy to have hair again! God bless...Cheryl
  • live42day
    live42day Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Well, here is one more reply to the hair saga. It is 19 months since my last chemo and my blonde straight hair came back in dark brown and wavy. I had always wanted to spike my hair but never had the nerve to get it cut that short. I have kept it short and get it cut every 4 weeks. It has gotten back to the original texture and is straight again, but still dark. You can go without a hat or wig pretty early if you go the spike route. And it is fun and in style. I agree, any day you have hair is not a bad hair day! Lots of luck with your new hair.
    Janet
  • Sandis
    Sandis Member Posts: 85
    Options
    I'm four months after chemo and am also going the spike route. I teach graduate students and they say its "edgy". I've neve wanted to be edgy, but I'm so grateful for hair and eyebrows and I know the hair will grow!
  • bturner
    bturner Member Posts: 9
    Options
    I think you can see from the replies that almost everyones hair comes back different. I finished my chemo in October of last year and it was actually about July before I felt my hair was getting back to normal. I had always had some wave, but it came back kinky curly. I went thru what my hairdresser called a "psychological state" because I could not bear the thought of cutting it, but once I got over that and had about 2 good haircuts, it is now back to normal. as far as the color, I had it highlighted before I ever took my wig off (5 months after my last chemo) and it did not seem to hurt it at all. The color did not seem alot different but I had coloring and highlights for so long didn't really know what "natural" color was.

I never dreamed I would wear my hair as short as it was when I first took my wig off, but I got up one morning, started to put my wig on and said to myself, "I'm not doing this another day". I called my hairdresser, got some highlights and the wig came off that day.

Just remember when you "take the wig off", it's an opportunity for a whole new look. And, hang in there, your hair will get back to normal!
  • blossomtime
    blossomtime Member Posts: 98
    Options
    I finished all treatment in March and it has taken forever to grow back. Finally started going without wig in mid October but it is still quite thin on top. But it also came back curly and soft. The texture on top quite different from the rest. Some days I am still not very comfortable with it, but at least it is hair and it is all mine. LOL
  • sioufu
    sioufu Member Posts: 4
    Options
    i need hair help
  • AngelBaby
    Options
    sioufu said:

i need hair help

What kind of hair help do you need?