herceptin without a port

jeancmici
jeancmici Member Posts: 665 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Are there any of you who are getting weekly infusions of herceptin without a port. I did the AC and Taxol - 8 treatments in all - without a port - and also have had three infusions of zometa but the next zometa will include herceptin/ chemo and will be weekly - the herceptin goes on indefinitely. I'e like to avoid a port - am hoping some of you will say: I'm doing it - no problems.

thanks,
Jean

Comments

• hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    Jean, think long term girl! I did A/C and Taxol w/o a port, but I've been on Herceptin now for 2 years. Get a port! (((HUGS))) hummer
  • jeancmici

Jean, think long term girl! I did A/C and Taxol w/o a port, but I've been on Herceptin now for 2 years. Get a port! (((HUGS))) hummer

Thanks for your info. I thought I would first see if the herceptin has any good effect and if so, then would do a port. Bet I'd have to suggest that myself too!! Also was thinking of having herceptin alone for a few months and then add the navelbine.What are your thoughts of that route?

The weekly chemo sounds like such a drag altho' necessary - and I assume I'll have to have blood tests each week before it. More insults to the veins. I do have good veins when the person knows what he/she is doing. I had one dummy for the last taxol and after three tries I asked for another person - got one of the known good ones - he took the vein I had suggested to her the first time - but she wasn't going to take MY suggestion.

Wondering about your brother - things going well?
    Hugs, jean
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    jeancmici said:

Thanks for your info. I thought I would first see if the herceptin has any good effect and if so, then would do a port. Bet I'd have to suggest that myself too!! Also was thinking of having herceptin alone for a few months and then add the navelbine.What are your thoughts of that route?

The weekly chemo sounds like such a drag altho' necessary - and I assume I'll have to have blood tests each week before it. More insults to the veins. I do have good veins when the person knows what he/she is doing. I had one dummy for the last taxol and after three tries I asked for another person - got one of the known good ones - he took the vein I had suggested to her the first time - but she wasn't going to take MY suggestion.

Hugs, jean

Jean, my guess is it depends on the extent of your tumors. I'm avoiding chemo as long as I can! Got recurrent met rt arm, which broke, but glory be to God has basically healed in only 3 weeks. I'm having rad for 2nd time to that arm. Met in
    L-spine shows some growth, no symptoms so they won't re-radiate that yet. I'm looking into alternative therapy. Found out on PubMed today nitric oxide destroys breast cancer cells. An amino acid called L-arginine increases nitric oxide in body. I'm going to start that, 200 mg/d.

DISCLAIMER:
    NOT recommending it to anybody.
    Search the net, go to acs.org or nih.gov for info AND check with your doctor if you decide to take it. Nitric oxide IS an anti-oxident, that occurs naturally in the body.

HA! Just teasing. However, I do stand by the above recommendations.

Thank you so much for asking about my brother. He is doing well. He's had 1 treatment, great attitude, said they told him 'urine might be red for a day or two w/ adriamycin.' Said, 'tumor must have sucked up the chemo, red only one time!'
    Kinda disappointed him, you know how men are, probably wanted to write red in the snow! LOL Course that poses two problems cause we don't have any snow this far south.
    God bless you lady, keep me posted. (((HUGS)))hummb
    OH! and don't forget the zometa! Ask your doc about zometa!
  • jeancmici

Jean, my guess is it depends on the extent of your tumors. I'm avoiding chemo as long as I can! Got recurrent met rt arm, which broke, but glory be to God has basically healed in only 3 weeks. I'm having rad for 2nd time to that arm. Met in
    L-spine shows some growth, no symptoms so they won't re-radiate that yet. I'm looking into alternative therapy. Found out on PubMed today nitric oxide destroys breast cancer cells. An amino acid called L-arginine increases nitric oxide in body. I'm going to start that, 200 mg/d.

DISCLAIMER:
    NOT recommending it to anybody.
    Search the net, go to acs.org or nih.gov for info AND check with your doctor if you decide to take it. Nitric oxide IS an anti-oxident, that occurs naturally in the body.

HA! Just teasing. However, I do stand by the above recommendations.

Thank you so much for asking about my brother. He is doing well. He's had 1 treatment, great attitude, said they told him 'urine might be red for a day or two w/ adriamycin.' Said, 'tumor must have sucked up the chemo, red only one time!'
    Kinda disappointed him, you know how men are, probably wanted to write red in the snow! LOL Course that poses two problems cause we don't have any snow this far south.
    God bless you lady, keep me posted. (((HUGS)))hummb
    OH! and don't forget the zometa! Ask your doc about zometa!

Have been on the Zometa right along. They'd have a hard time doing radiation on me since just when I think a certain spot will never stop hurting, the focus changes to another area. Fortunately now on no meds until Dec. 1 from the day I stopped Femara (Nov. 10),I am having a few less painful days.BTW, my onco said rads *sometimes* are done twice in the same area and you are proof of that.

Live and learn - hopefully may we all live longer and learn more!
  • rizzo15
    rizzo15 Member Posts: 153 Member
    jeancmici said:

Hugs, jean

jeancmici. Just wanted to chime in that I, too, am sick and tired of medical people who think they know where our best vein is for chemo and blood draws. The only reward I get for someone who won't take my suggestion is that sick, panicked look they get after a couple sticks and they aren't getting any results and the embarassed look they have when they have to ask for help from someone else. Now I just tell them, "Use a butterfly, the back of my right hand, on the vein where you can see I've had previous IVs during surgery. You can get 4-5 vials and it will not collapse. Use something else and this will be a bad experience for both of us."

I love my port. The doctor says he will keep it in for 2 years, unless it gets clogged. No problem!!