chemically induced menapause

quincygirl
quincygirl Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Help!! I am really suffering from hot flashes. I can't sleep more than three to four hours initially then only 15 - 20 mins every other hour or more. Just finished last chemo AC doctor suggested Zoloft but wont kick in until 1 month. Don't think I can last that long. Ambian and sleep agents dont last either. any tips???

Comments

• sassysally
    sassysally Member Posts: 150
    hey I know how frustrating this can be. The best thing I can tell you is I took lots of cold showers and sleep with a fan blowing 6 inches from my face to keep it cool. I had also tried effexor which is much like zoloft, and it did nothing. So, now its winter time and I can keep my windows open and the temperature in my room down so that everyone is happy. Hope this helps a little.

*BLOWING COLD AIR YOUR WAY*
  • marysun
    marysun Member Posts: 39 Member
    I completed my chemo in February 03 and shortly after that I began to have hot flashes. That took some getting used to, but then in June I started tamoxifen. **whew** I am melting about every 2 hours. I tried everything with the tamoxifen -- took it at night, took it in the morning, took 1/2 a pill at night and then the other 1/2 the next morning. I found that red wine seems to accentuate the hot flashes, where chardonney or a light rose isn't so bad. To tell the truth, a glass of wine helps to ease things along anyway :-)

When I get home from work, I sneak off to my bedroom, take off ALL my clothes and lay on the bed under the fan for 10 minutes or so. That works great but not too convenient any other time. The nights are hard at first, but I keep a glass of water at the bedside, get up to go to the bathroom when the flashes wake me. That little trip is just long enough to let my sheets cool off. I am counting the minutes until I no longer have to take the tamoxifen. 4 years, 7 months to go . . . .

(My dr refuses to blame anything on the tamoxifen. I blame everything on it -- weight gain, sleeplessness, lack of coordination, inattentiveness, mood swings, hang nails -- the list goes on.)

I am 50 and was perimenopausal, but the chemo "did it's job" and put me there for good. I was on my period the week of my first chemo treatment. That was my last period, dec 2002.

Some women I have talked to who have gone through the change without chemo or tamoxifen say that after a few years the flashes diminish. Others have nothing but trouble and rely on the hormone supplements. Well, that's out for us, so just carry a fan in your purse and try to get by.

Love, hugs and lots of cool breezes!!
  • DeeNY711
    DeeNY711 Member Posts: 476 Member
    When side effects or disability or sleeplessness bother me.... and they do..... I try to remember that if these treatments were not available, I'd be planning my own funeral music instead of managing to carve out some normal activity from each day. There is a beginning, a middle and an end to chemotherapy. Although the effects can be a giant pain and inconvenience for years afterward, it beats the alternative. Hugs, Denise
  • kelli63
    kelli63 Member Posts: 84
    oloft that is an antidepressent. I have managed to minize mine. I take over the acounter sleep agents and relaxaton techniques and my husband help to so we togete3hr fight this. WE are more closer now as a couple. Try effexor it helped me at the first there are different agents you can do. E mail me if you need help.

Kelly
  • jake10
    jake10 Member Posts: 202
    DeeNY711 said:

When side effects or disability or sleeplessness bother me.... and they do..... I try to remember that if these treatments were not available, I'd be planning my own funeral music instead of managing to carve out some normal activity from each day. There is a beginning, a middle and an end to chemotherapy. Although the effects can be a giant pain and inconvenience for years afterward, it beats the alternative. Hugs, Denise

Amen, Amen! The alternative sucks. I was post memopausal and put on Arimidex and the hot flashes returned with a vengence. I've been on the Arimidex for 10 months now. I don't know if it's because winter is here, but the flashes are less severe and less frequent. I do find that when I am excited (mad, happy, suprised etc.) the flashes are very prolonged and strong???? Boy we are wired strange!
    But anyway, I think they do get easier to tolerate and I get to stand on my porch in the middle of the night and admire the stars and planets, I've become quit the astronomer. I asked Santa for a telescope. Might as well put the time to good use. It's all in the attitude. Cool thoughts and Wyoming winds, Beth
  • hounddog
    hounddog Member Posts: 115
    My chemo treatments kicked me in to early menapause and some one from church told me to drink soy milk it seems to help also black cohosh . I also wake up sweating at night when the heater is on I get up and turn it off and my husband freezes . I also kick the covers off on to him . I get cold then I sweat like all get outs it is uncomfortable. I know what you are going through.
    Marilyn
  • hounddog
    hounddog Member Posts: 115
    I forgot you deffinately do not want Zoloft I have seen what it did to my husband .I to not and mean do not want the same thing happen to you that ZoLoft did to my husband.I'm on effexor Xr . But what ever you do do not get on ZoLoft.
    Marilyn
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    hounddog said:

My chemo treatments kicked me in to early menapause and some one from church told me to drink soy milk it seems to help also black cohosh . I also wake up sweating at night when the heater is on I get up and turn it off and my husband freezes . I also kick the covers off on to him . I get cold then I sweat like all get outs it is uncomfortable. I know what you are going through.
    Marilyn

Hi! I would check with your oncologist about drinking soy and taking Black cohash. Cancer cells eat off estrogens and soy and black cohash have estrogen properties. Some MDs don't think it's a problem. My MD suggested I stay away from it. HUGS!! Cathy
  • das1055
    das1055 Member Posts: 1
    marysun said:

I completed my chemo in February 03 and shortly after that I began to have hot flashes. That took some getting used to, but then in June I started tamoxifen. **whew** I am melting about every 2 hours. I tried everything with the tamoxifen -- took it at night, took it in the morning, took 1/2 a pill at night and then the other 1/2 the next morning. I found that red wine seems to accentuate the hot flashes, where chardonney or a light rose isn't so bad. To tell the truth, a glass of wine helps to ease things along anyway :-)

When I get home from work, I sneak off to my bedroom, take off ALL my clothes and lay on the bed under the fan for 10 minutes or so. That works great but not too convenient any other time. The nights are hard at first, but I keep a glass of water at the bedside, get up to go to the bathroom when the flashes wake me. That little trip is just long enough to let my sheets cool off. I am counting the minutes until I no longer have to take the tamoxifen. 4 years, 7 months to go . . . .

(My dr refuses to blame anything on the tamoxifen. I blame everything on it -- weight gain, sleeplessness, lack of coordination, inattentiveness, mood swings, hang nails -- the list goes on.)

I am 50 and was perimenopausal, but the chemo "did it's job" and put me there for good. I was on my period the week of my first chemo treatment. That was my last period, dec 2002.

Some women I have talked to who have gone through the change without chemo or tamoxifen say that after a few years the flashes diminish. Others have nothing but trouble and rely on the hormone supplements. Well, that's out for us, so just carry a fan in your purse and try to get by.

Love, hugs and lots of cool breezes!!

Hi,
    Reading your message it sounds so familar. I started chemo in March and April was the last I saw my period I am 48. But between the chemo and the tamioxfen it really warms me up. I wake about every 2 hours heated up and then I get the chills once the hot flash is over. Dr said if she can be real sure that I am in permanent memopause then she may switch me to armidex.Not suppose to have the hot flashes with that. Well I survived chemo so I guess this is just the next chapter.