Insurance Issues

Options
jake10
jake10 Member Posts: 202
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just to FYI you all. It is a FEDERAL law that you can not be penelized for a preexisting condition if you are covered by insurance at an employer and then change jobs and get new insurance as soon as it is available. HIPAA
When you leave your employer they should give you this form called "Proof of insurance" You give that to your new employer and it should take care of the problem. The HIPAA laws were first made to make it possible for people with health issues such as ours were not forced to remain in the same positions or had problems if we were layed off or terminated and then went to a new employer. Just thought you'd want to know. Beth

Comments

• cammie
    cammie Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Thank you Beth! Is it the same for disability and life insurance as well? I had trouble with short term disability changing over to long term disability. I had been hired and was working but they owed me two months of disability. I waited and waited then they said they had to make sure it wasn't pre-existing, like breast cancer could be pre-exisiting. I waited from June and just recieved it last week. They checked with my PCP, Onocologist, Gynolcogist, Pharmacy and Health insurance to make sure I wasn't scamming them and it took almost five months to get paid for two months of disability. HIPAA or no HIPAA laws, either way back yourself up, or it will take forever............ Cammie
  • jake10
    jake10 Member Posts: 202
    Options
    cammie said:

Thank you Beth! Is it the same for disability and life insurance as well? I had trouble with short term disability changing over to long term disability. I had been hired and was working but they owed me two months of disability. I waited and waited then they said they had to make sure it wasn't pre-existing, like breast cancer could be pre-exisiting. I waited from June and just recieved it last week. They checked with my PCP, Onocologist, Gynolcogist, Pharmacy and Health insurance to make sure I wasn't scamming them and it took almost five months to get paid for two months of disability. HIPAA or no HIPAA laws, either way back yourself up, or it will take forever............ Cammie

Disability coverage is either a private insurance or a state provided coverage. It is not federal. I live in WY and we don't have state disability coverage. I was unable to get a AFLAC policy after I had been diagnosed. I have to be cancer free for 5 years. Now- if you had AFLAC and then got disabled, I am sure they would check to make sure that the disability happened after coverage started. So.....sometimes it takes a long time to get the monies owed to you. Beth
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    jake10 said:

Disability coverage is either a private insurance or a state provided coverage. It is not federal. I live in WY and we don't have state disability coverage. I was unable to get a AFLAC policy after I had been diagnosed. I have to be cancer free for 5 years. Now- if you had AFLAC and then got disabled, I am sure they would check to make sure that the disability happened after coverage started. So.....sometimes it takes a long time to get the monies owed to you. Beth

I'm not well versed in disability issues but know that they differ from state to state. However,
    there are life insurance companies that WILL
    underwrite life ins. policies for people who have not waited the 5 years, post cancer. Globe, is one of the companies which comes to mind. They will typically limit you to $15 or $20 thousand in coverage until the 5 years have passed, at which time you may choose to up the coverage. May be worthwhile to refer to the yellow pages and ring the major life insurers and see what they offer.

Just wanted to pass that info along as I've a friend who obtained life insurance last year, following her cancer treatment and if I recall, she pays roughly $300.00/year for 20,000 coverage. So, it can be done.

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink