reconstruction with implants

Options
toni61
toni61 Member Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Almost one year after my masectomy I have begun reconstruction. I had the expander put in almost 3 weeks ago. The first week it was really painful. It is getting better but still hurts. My question to those in the know is....will all this be worth it? I know it will never feel like the real thing but will I still feel the implant when that is finally in place? How long do you think this process of stretching the skin will take? I do like having a little mound instead of my concave chest!

Comments

• cammie
    cammie Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Toni - the expander is the worst. I hated going in for 200 cc or 100 cc. It felt like you couldn't move your arm. AHHHHH then the implant came. SO much better. It took me 4 months to expand so by the time I got the implant I was very happy. The implant is not real..... It is not like the other breast. My skin is so thin you can see some wrinkles through the skin. Sort of like the California Raisins. BUT as time goes on, I am appreciative of the fact that they could give me this implant. I choose a silicone only because it feels more real then the saline. I get my tatoo, nipple and lift on the other breast Nov. 13, I can't wait. It will look like a breast from a mile away. LOOK out ladies,,, I am the DECEMBER CENTERFOLD......Cammie
  • Snookums
    Snookums Member Posts: 148
    Options
    cammie said:

Toni - the expander is the worst. I hated going in for 200 cc or 100 cc. It felt like you couldn't move your arm. AHHHHH then the implant came. SO much better. It took me 4 months to expand so by the time I got the implant I was very happy. The implant is not real..... It is not like the other breast. My skin is so thin you can see some wrinkles through the skin. Sort of like the California Raisins. BUT as time goes on, I am appreciative of the fact that they could give me this implant. I choose a silicone only because it feels more real then the saline. I get my tatoo, nipple and lift on the other breast Nov. 13, I can't wait. It will look like a breast from a mile away. LOOK out ladies,,, I am the DECEMBER CENTERFOLD......Cammie

I am on my stretching phase (left breast) as well and yes, it is TIGHT and I am constantly massaging and trying help stretch it. I went thru it on my right just after my bi lat. but the left got an infection and had to be removed. So, last month I had the right finished with a permanent saline filled implant and I do think it feels real. It is soft and plyable and I do not have any wrinkles. I am very happy with the right and that makes the left worth it. I will just say hang in there and as long as you trust your plastic surgeon- you will be happy with the results.
  • pamelaa
    pamelaa Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Day 10 post op from bilateral expanders being placed! Had by drains out yesterday(OOUCH!!) and feel 50% better. My plastic surgeon says he only fills with 50cc biweekly to prevent thin skin or stretch marks. In about 4-5 months I'll get my new equipment and can't wait! I know what you mean,about day 3-4 post op I was saying what have I done!! It certainly is nice now tough looking at a lump instead of those concave holes! Pam
  • blossomtime
    blossomtime Member Posts: 98
    Options
    I had immediate reconstruction with tissue expanders. After all chemo and radiation I had the implants put in, that was in june. At the same time I had lift on other side. I am actually more disappointed in the lift than the surgery on mastectomy side. I wish it had been lifted a litte higher. Oh well. But overall I have been very pleased. I only notice the implants when I am very tired or have been very physically active. I am scheduled in December to have nipple reconstruction and subsequently tatoo. I will be so glad to be finally finished but I am so very glad I had this option available to me. Good luck!!!!
  • live42day
    live42day Member Posts: 64
    Options
    I also started my reconstruction a year post mastectomy. I had the expander put in place last October and was supposed to be finished up in Feb, but due to insurance change at work didn't get to be completed until April. I had the silicone implant put in, the lift on the other side and nipple reconstruction all at the same time. I was sore and tender on both sides, but it is all finished up except the tatoos. I am glad I did it. It just feels so much better to put on pjs and not have one side flat. It will never be exactly like your old breast, but it sure is nice to have one again! Getting pumped up to stretch the skin was uncomfortable for about 2 days after. It made my ribs hurt. Then the skin would be stretched out enough that it didn't hurt. The implant feels sort of like the prosthesis at first, then you kind of get used to it and don't notice it much. One thing about the expander is that they have to over inflate you, so that side is much bigger than the real one. My plastic surgeon told me to use shoulder pads to even out the other side. They work really well.
    Janet