Life after Tamoxifen

Options
chemoqueen1
chemoqueen1 Member Posts: 50
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This just published by the New England Journal of Medicine. It shows real promise for those of us currently on a 5 year treatment of Tamoxifen.

THE STUDY involving more than 5,000 women with the most common form of breast cancer was suspended halfway through its planned five-year timespan because of the surprisingly strong results. The journal also moved up publication of the study, which will appear in the Nov. 6 issue, because of the importance of the findings.
Cutting the study off early prevented more substantive longterm findings but gave all its participants the option of immediately starting letrozole treatment, according to the journal article and two accompanying editorials. Other breast cancer patients also could start on letrozole when they finish tamoxifen treatment.
“It is likely that in the coming months there will be much debate over whether the data and safety monitoring committee made the best decision” in halting the study, said one of the editorials, titled “Letrozole after Tamoxifen for Breast Cancer — What is the Price of Success?” by Dr. Norman Wolmark.
“At a minimum, suitable patients must be apprised of these important observations and must be given the opportunity to receive letrozole, with an understanding of the limitations of the data,” it concluded.

The study found that women with estrogen-sensitive breast cancer who had completed five years of tamoxifen treatment and then took letrozole were about 40 percent less likely to have the cancer return or get a new tumor in the other breast than those who received a dummy pill after tamoxifen.
“The estimated magnitude of the benefits ... was substantially greater than expected,” Wolmark wrote.
Estrogen fuels the growth of about half of all breast cancers, especially those in older women. Tamoxifen, the top hormonal treatment for estrogen-fueled tumors, is given to almost all such U.S. patients after surgery to help prevent breast tumors from returning.

Here is the link to the web site.

http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/978057.asp

Comments

• Snookums
    Snookums Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Thanks for the info sound VERY promising. How nice to get good news. Our prayers are being answered daily.
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Snookums said:

Thanks for the info sound VERY promising. How nice to get good news. Our prayers are being answered daily.

Thanks chemoqueen1.

This study does offer some potentially promising breakthroughs!

I saw a report on the study today. The guest was a physician from Dana Farber. (don't recall his name) While he was guarded about the study's findings, he did point out that
    Femara is only for women who've had hormone sensitive tumors and are post menopausal. He also commented on the side effects of Femara, stating that they were: Increased hot flashes and night sweats; bone and muscle pain; and that the drug accelerates osteoporosis. He noted that caution is needed until such time that superior osteoporosis testing methods are found, as well as until better drugs/treatments are found to prevent and effectively treat osteoporosis. (what about Calciuma and Vitamin D???)

It also occurred to me as I was listening to the doctor that with the advent of Fosamax, etc. why was he so concerned regarding osteoporosis and effective treatment? I realize that not everyone can tolerate Fosamax, but he seemed oblivious to it's existence and didn't mention it at all, stating that "we need something better than HRT".

It was very interesting and the doctor was well spoken and seemed matter of fact in his comments and answers to questions.

Will check out your referenced URL to see if perhaps there's more detailed info there re this doctor's osteoporosis concerns.

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    inkblot said:

Thanks chemoqueen1.

This study does offer some potentially promising breakthroughs!

I saw a report on the study today. The guest was a physician from Dana Farber. (don't recall his name) While he was guarded about the study's findings, he did point out that
    Femara is only for women who've had hormone sensitive tumors and are post menopausal. He also commented on the side effects of Femara, stating that they were: Increased hot flashes and night sweats; bone and muscle pain; and that the drug accelerates osteoporosis. He noted that caution is needed until such time that superior osteoporosis testing methods are found, as well as until better drugs/treatments are found to prevent and effectively treat osteoporosis. (what about Calciuma and Vitamin D???)

It also occurred to me as I was listening to the doctor that with the advent of Fosamax, etc. why was he so concerned regarding osteoporosis and effective treatment? I realize that not everyone can tolerate Fosamax, but he seemed oblivious to it's existence and didn't mention it at all, stating that "we need something better than HRT".

It was very interesting and the doctor was well spoken and seemed matter of fact in his comments and answers to questions.

Will check out your referenced URL to see if perhaps there's more detailed info there re this doctor's osteoporosis concerns.

Ink

Good point Ink re: Calcium, Vitamin D and Fosamax plus exercise will help prevent osteoporosis. Besides that, if this drug works so well, what's a little osteo vs recurrent cancer! No one wants a bunch of brittle bones, but I think I'd prefer that over cancer, if I had to pick my poisen, so to speak.
    Thanks for the info chemoqueen!
    Jean...looks like your doc has you on 'the cutting edge' pharmaceutically speaking.
    Praise God for that!
    I just love the way we all share info on this site
    (((HUGS))) hummer
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to post some URL's for this study:

www.cancer.ca This is the Canadian site and is fairly informative but this particular page is not as detailed as some of the others.

www.nci.nih.gov More detailed info can be found here. Choose "trials" and then choose "aromatase
    inhibitors" (first topic there) and you will find some excellent links.

You may also try: http://cancer.gov/newscenters/pressreleases/letrozole I beleive this page has already been reassigned but if so, you will be given a link to follow.

Very interesting reading.

Ink