mets to the bone

jeancmici
jeancmici Member Posts: 665 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Wondering who out there has recently had breast cancer go to the bone. I am having a bone scan Thursday for constant back pain - well, I've had back pain since spring but it came and went - now it is staying.

Wondering who is taking Zometa and who is taking Aredia?

Of course, any other info would be appreciated too.

Thanks,
Jean

Comments

• blossomtime
    blossomtime Member Posts: 98
    I also had been having lots of back pain so first I had a bone scan and it was negative. But I continued to have back pain so my doctor ordered an MRI several months later. Thank goodness that also showed no cancer just degenerative changes, haha so just old bones.Keep good thoughts and hopefully yours will be fine also. Good luck.
  • jeancmici

I also had been having lots of back pain so first I had a bone scan and it was negative. But I continued to have back pain so my doctor ordered an MRI several months later. Thank goodness that also showed no cancer just degenerative changes, haha so just old bones.Keep good thoughts and hopefully yours will be fine also. Good luck.

Thanks for your hopeful message - the constant pain was what led me to call the onco. Also I lost 8 pounds in a few weeks without even trying.

Today I am a mess - took a 10 mg. Ativan instead of the Lortab which zonks me out - and it got a bit better. Old bones - what a welcome diagnosis!
    Thanks!
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Hi Jean:

Read your message and just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and sending good wishes.

I too have bones which decide to ache from time to time...nothing regular or persistent. Just "old bones" too, me thinks. Good that you checked it out with your doc and I'm hoping that your scan will rule out anything serious and put your mind at ease.

Keep that positive outlook you've always had and I'm sending along a big warm hug with your name written all over it!!!

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    I had bone mets to arm and low back 8/01 and 10/01 both radiated. I took Aredia, but asked to be switched to Zometa about 18 months ago. For me it was the convenience, less infusion time, 2 hours vs 15 minutes. Onc didn't want to switch me at first, didn't think time was that big of a deal. Course I look at time differently now than he does! LOL
    Anyway, maybe you do have just 'old bones' but if not, remember its breast cancer mets to the bone, not bone cancer, which that is a big difference. Hope this helps! God bless. hummb
  • jeancmici
    inkblot said:

Hi Jean:

Read your message and just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and sending good wishes.

I too have bones which decide to ache from time to time...nothing regular or persistent. Just "old bones" too, me thinks. Good that you checked it out with your doc and I'm hoping that your scan will rule out anything serious and put your mind at ease.

Keep that positive outlook you've always had and I'm sending along a big warm hug with your name written all over it!!!

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink

Thanks gals!

It's the 'constant' that got to me - supposedly the one distinguishing feature between 'c' and arthritis.

It's harder to be positive with this possibility - but I won't be the first - nor the last -and will just get on with what needs to be.

I knew some of you would come thru with some comfort! :-)

Hugs, Jean
  • isaiah4031
    isaiah4031 Member Posts: 240
    Hi Jean,
    I had lots of bone pain and had a scan which came back negative also. Apparently, I'm getting older than I think I am and it turned out to be related to arthritis, plus some of the meds I'm taking cause bone pain. I will be praying that it is the same for you.
    Love, Jayne
  • SCmom
    SCmom Member Posts: 46
    Wow, after reading these posts, i'm wondering about my knee. All of a sudden a couple weeks after my surgery/radiation, I started having problems with my knee. When I walk down stairs it hurts. Then sometimes it aches, but mostly when I am walking down stairs. Talked to dr. and onco, neither were concerned. Dr. said it was arthritis. Said I was, "falling apart." Neither ordered bone scan. hope it's just arthritis. laura
  • jbeardslee
    jbeardslee Member Posts: 75
    Hi Jean, I'll be thinking of you on Thurs. Good luck with the scan. Keep the good thoughts!!! -Judy
  • jake10
    jake10 Member Posts: 202
    How did it go? I was thinking of you today. Keeping my fingers crossed and you in my prayers. Beth
  • jeancmici
    jake10 said:

How did it go? I was thinking of you today. Keeping my fingers crossed and you in my prayers. Beth

Thanks Beth, but don't know yet - it's Thursday but you are welcome to keep praying! :-)