Tamoxifin

Options
lavender
lavender Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I hope that someone who has been taking this for awhile can tell me if joint pain gets better, I hear that is the case. I have been drinking a lot and trying to exercise but still have a lot of leg pain especially at night.

Comments

• miraclemom
    miraclemom Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Dear Lavender,I have been on tamoxifen for about a year now and my joints and muscles are always giving me aches and pains. I really notice it when I get cold or the weather gets rainy. I am going to doctor next week and going to ask about something different-get tired of hurting all the time.I hope it gets better over time if this is the only drug I can take for my cancer. Takecare,Lori
  • DeeNY711
    DeeNY711 Member Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm not on Tamoxifen, but have read all the messages on it and recall many that spoke of getting enough relief to live comfortably by using regular over-the-counter analgesics like ibuprofen (Advil, Nuprin) naproxen (Aleve) and tylenol. Ask doctor for recommendation.
  • cammie
    cammie Member Posts: 102
    Options
    This does happen with neuropathy as well. I am a juvenille diabetic on Tamoxifin with neuropathy. I haven't noticed the leg pain because I wear magnets in my shoes. They are inserts and are terrific. I swear by them. My pain use to be so bad at night it hurt to climb the stairs. I am only 38 and couldn't keep up with the kids. Someone gave me my magnets. Couldn't live without them. Cammie
  • mc2001
    mc2001 Member Posts: 343
    Options
    cammie said:

This does happen with neuropathy as well. I am a juvenille diabetic on Tamoxifin with neuropathy. I haven't noticed the leg pain because I wear magnets in my shoes. They are inserts and are terrific. I swear by them. My pain use to be so bad at night it hurt to climb the stairs. I am only 38 and couldn't keep up with the kids. Someone gave me my magnets. Couldn't live without them. Cammie

Hi Camm!
    Its me, Michael here! I didnt take tamoxifen, but I did take some chemotherapy that caused severe neuropathy, and Severe Wasting Syndrome. It has been 8 yrs since diagnosis and I still get cramps in my legs and hands. Like a chronic ache then all of a sudden my hands curl up such as when I am cooking, cleaning, wash dishes (now there is a site... I hope I meet a woman who like cleaning broken glass!!) or writing. Other times I can just be sitting watching tv, and it happens too but not as often or severe when I am doing nothing. Do you think those magnet thingies would help me? Sounds like a good thing thre. Thanks!
    -mc
  • blackbandana
    blackbandana Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Lavendar, I was on Tamoxifen for a 1yr and suffered with terrible back, leg and foot pains. I did my own test to see if it was the tamoxifen causing it (I've suffered for years with foot problems and recently herniated a disk in my back, so I wasn't sure), well sure enough the tamoxifen was making my symtoms worse. I informed my onco and she put me on Arimidex, found it to be much better on the back, legs and feet, BUT now I have my period back its causing that to be very very heavy and I can't move when I get them. So I've yet another visit now. Please don't just accept the fact that you have to stay on Tamoxifen, there is a wide range of other tablets out there. Take care and be good to you.
  • kamehameha6470
    kamehameha6470 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi Lavender:

I've been on tamoxifin for about a year now, and I do have some leg cramping and trouble with my hands. I'm on 10 mg now because the symptoms were so very bad on the full 20 mg dose my doc wanted, plus it played havoc on my moods. Maybe you could talk with your doc and see if this is an option to you.
  • cammie
    cammie Member Posts: 102
    Options
    mc2001 said:

Hi Camm!
    Its me, Michael here! I didnt take tamoxifen, but I did take some chemotherapy that caused severe neuropathy, and Severe Wasting Syndrome. It has been 8 yrs since diagnosis and I still get cramps in my legs and hands. Like a chronic ache then all of a sudden my hands curl up such as when I am cooking, cleaning, wash dishes (now there is a site... I hope I meet a woman who like cleaning broken glass!!) or writing. Other times I can just be sitting watching tv, and it happens too but not as often or severe when I am doing nothing. Do you think those magnet thingies would help me? Sounds like a good thing thre. Thanks!
    -mc

Hey mc - doesn't hurt to try. I got my magnets from a friend. But they are called Nikken. I am sure there is a website for them. Good luck sweetie, I hope they work for you too. Love Cammie
  • jake10
    jake10 Member Posts: 202
    Options

Lavendar, I was on Tamoxifen for a 1yr and suffered with terrible back, leg and foot pains. I did my own test to see if it was the tamoxifen causing it (I've suffered for years with foot problems and recently herniated a disk in my back, so I wasn't sure), well sure enough the tamoxifen was making my symtoms worse. I informed my onco and she put me on Arimidex, found it to be much better on the back, legs and feet, BUT now I have my period back its causing that to be very very heavy and I can't move when I get them. So I've yet another visit now. Please don't just accept the fact that you have to stay on Tamoxifen, there is a wide range of other tablets out there. Take care and be good to you.

I'm on the Arimidex and have the leg, foot and back discomfort as well. Seems to be worse when I am seditary or first thing in the morning when I get up. OTCs like ibuprophen and such seem to help enough. But some days I feel like an old lady. There really isn't anything else out there to block/prevent the estrogen. Just tomomoxifen or the Arimidex. But if is interfering with life to a great extent it is smart to have a talk with the oncologist. Good Luck Beth
    020306 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    HI LAVANDER, I HAVE BEEN ON TAMOXIFEN A LITTLE OVER A YEAR & OFF CHEMO ALMOST 3 YEARS .. THE LEG CRAMPS AND JOINT PAIN ARE A CAUSE OF BOTH THE ABOVE.. I TAKE ASPRIN (COATED) & SOMETIMES NAPROXEN WHEN REALLY HURTING AND CAN'T SLEEP(GEN
    FOR NAPROSYN) .. A LOT OF STRANGE THINGS HAPPEN TO OUR BODIES AFTER CHEMO & TAKING NEW DRUGS.. IT DOES GET BETTER AND THERE IS A RAINBOW...DID U DO CHEMO.. I THINK THAT HAS A GREATER EFFECT ON OUR BODIES... IT COMBINED W/ THE TAMOXIFEN SENT ME BACK INTO MENOPAUSE FOR THE SECOND TIME. THAT LED TO A HYSTERECTOMY.. MY DRS. STILL FEEL 5 YRS ON TAMOXIFEN IS THE BEST FOR LESS SIDE EFFECTS AND GIVE U A BETTER CHANCE OF THE BC NOT RECURRING..MY AGE IS 62... YOU WILL GET STRONGER AND YOU WILL FEEL BETTER .. IT JUST TAKES TIME...