Alcohol Consumption/Continuing Risk?

DJC
DJC Member Posts: 52
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am a wine collector and while I don't overindulge, I know there is an associated risk between drinking alcohol in moderate to heavy amounts and developing cancer, particularly breast cancer. Now that I've been diagnosed and am currently receiving chemotherapy, I'd like to know if anyone out there has received advice from their physician to completely abstain post diagnosis or risk placing oneself back in harm's way. My breast surgeon says that a glass of red wine occasionally is permissable, but nothing more. Naturally, during chemo, the consumption of alcohol is an absolute No-No and, to be honest, wine doesn't appeal to me right now anyway. Would appreciate feedback on this subject for future reference, though. Thanks All, Donna

Comments

• momof4
    momof4 Member Posts: 56
    not long ago during the last day of school we decided to rent a limo of go out of town for the night myself a 9 more coworkers, knowing there would be alchool i made sure i asked my oncologist if i could have a glass of win, his answer to me was ........not more than one and it would be best if you ahd a half....Donna and that was 2 weeks after my chemo treatment .
    My advice to you would not to have any.
    Hugs Mariateresa
  • vac
    vac Member Posts: 97
    i went to disney at the end of april and 3 weeks after my last chemo. i asked my oc if i could have a glass of wine he said yes, he also said i could have a pina colada. i did it was great the wine did not taste very good and i love wine, but the pina colada was great.
  • ryley
    ryley Member Posts: 55
    Before bc I would have a couple glasses of wine on a Sat night and so during chemo (on those Sat nights I felt OK) I asked my onc if I could do the same. She said that's fine, but to remember that my liver was cleaning my system of chemo and alcohol then. I had one or two when I felt up to it and my liver did all right. It also made me feel more like my "normal" life to have a glass of wine. So I would say if you feel comfortable having a glass or two now and then, and it's OK with your onc,go for it!

Ryley
  • SweetSue
    SweetSue Member Posts: 217
    I know it's just me, but I don't think I am going to drink alcohol anymore. I don't want to do anything that may cause the cancer to come back.
    Sue
  • SweetSue
    SweetSue Member Posts: 217
    I know it's just me, but I don't think I am going to drink alcohol anymore. I don't want to do anything that may cause the cancer to come back.
    Sue
  • DeeNY711
    DeeNY711 Member Posts: 476 Member
    This is not based on empirical evidence, or even scientific theory, but personally I believe that alcohol can be like the lit flame of a match igniting gasoline, when it comes to cancer. Alcohol is known to damage cells in the brain, so its relationship to damaged cells or cells that multiply in an abnormal way concerns me as a possibility. I personally think that alcohol fuels reproduction of cancer cells, but that is just an opinion. Perhaps that only occurs in some people and not others.
  • workingtired
    workingtired Member Posts: 13
    I too am a wine lover, and was told by my oncologist to only have 1 glass a day. Sort of makes me mad to have to give up something I enjoy for cancer which I do not enjoy having.
  • epgnyc
    epgnyc Member Posts: 137

I too am a wine lover, and was told by my oncologist to only have 1 glass a day. Sort of makes me mad to have to give up something I enjoy for cancer which I do not enjoy having.

I was diagnosed in May 2002 and in March of this year I finished my treatments for bc (3 surgies, chemo and radiation). During chemo my oncologist (I was treated at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NY) recommended that I abstain from all alcohol, which I did. But after chemo was over he said a couple of glasses of wine a week are fine. I figure that with MSK being the #1 or #2 rated cancer treatment hospital in America (depending on the year - this year they're #2), I figure their advice is bound to be good. I realize this is a highly personal choice and opionions are many but I've decied that if my doctor, whom I trust, admire and adore, is okay with it, then so I am. I don't want to put my entire life aside because I've had cancer. I want to enjoy the rest of my life, however long it may be. I'm a good do-bee in all other respects (follow-up, testing, etc.) and I guess I feel if a couple of glasses of wine here or there are going to do me in, then so be it. Good luck to you no matter what your decision.
  • Mico
    Mico Member Posts: 3
    I too love wine and champagne, my oncologist said it was ok in moderation for me thats the whole bottle when I drink it, maybe once a week but I drink 10 16 oz bottles of water every day. I think...every body cover your heads>>> I think it's an individual choice with your Onc's opinion. Having cancer has changed so much in my life and I'm going to hold on to the few things I enjoy ..My belief in God...wine, food and the gym.

hugs, love and prayer
    Mico
  • smvargo
    smvargo Member Posts: 39
    You know what's really twisted? I would know that I was feeling better from chemo when I could have some wine and smoke a cigarette. Horror of horrors! I'm not going to confess to any of the vices I continue to indulge in, but I will confess that a glass of red wine is a pleasure I refuse to give up. I want to live life, every single moment I have. The healing for me is to be able to be as much of who I am even after the cancer. For me it's a kind of defiance against illness...a sacred "yes" to life...a very personal decision.
    Stephanie
  • DJC
    DJC Member Posts: 52
    SweetSue said:

Sue

If you Ladies want to scare yourself something silly - just type "alcohol and breast cancer" into your Internet search engine - I guess I'll be selling off my collection of wines - it was an entertaining hobby while it lasted - thanks to everyone who responded. Donna
  • joules112
    joules112 Member Posts: 23
    I was told no alcohol ever again. I know that red wine is suppose to be good for digestion. But I haven't even brought it up - it seemed so....unimportant in light of everything I'd been thru. Since you're a collector - it's obviously important to you - ask you doctor and see what he says.