lymphedema concerns

Options
marysun
marysun Member Posts: 39 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello all. I saw my surgeon last week for my 6 month followup. He said "see you in one year"!!! So he is pleased with my progress. The soreness at the surgery site(s) that I complained about was deemed to be within his expectations and he allowed that it might be sore for a while longer. We discussed lymphedema and he certainly made it sound that very few patients developed the condition. I know 2 ladies who said to me "I wasn't careful enough" when talking about their lymphedema and they both wear full arm compression sleeves. I had 21 nodes removed and of course I am concerned about the lymphedema. I am wondering if anyone else has had problems with lymphedema. I myself have had no symptoms, but it is just one more thing to stress about within the Big Cancer Picture.

Comments

• mc2001
    mc2001 Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Hi Marysun
    Congrats on your medical report! Yes Lymphedema does happen but not to everyone. Plus I think there is a medicine that can help keep it at bay. So, enjoy your good news! And try not to stress over what may not even happen to you. Doctors orders!

-Dr. MC
  • smvargo
    smvargo Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Hi Marysun,

They took 19 of my nodes. I am just very aware of the behaviors that seem to worsen soreness. I do the stretches recommended and watch what I lift with my right arm. Repetitive activity, like sorting through piles of clothes for laundry is my nemesis. There is also a gentle kind of massage called "lymphatics" that was very helpful in relieving any minor swelling I have experienced. I have not had any problems so far, in fact my healing has been great. I am a guitar and bass player and don't want to lose that ability. My cat scratched me, pretty big scratch, and I went to my onc. to make sure there was no infection and that I wasn't a candidate for "cat scratch fever." I kept singing the song and meowing, your treatment team deserves some entertainment. I was told never to hesitate to come in if I had a concern. I'm going to follow that advice. Just be aware, follow good medical advice, and you will be fine.
    Stephanie
  • bunnie
    bunnie Member Posts: 233
    Options
    Hi i have had a little bit of lymphedema going on but noithing major i have went too a pysical thearpist that specilizes in this and she showed me massage technics too use.and i also wear a comprasion sleeve around the house once in awhile or if i ride my 4 wheller i wear it.But if you keep your eye on things you can catch it before it gets bad or anything and then there are some people that never get it.Hope you never do contuinue healing well.Amy
  • Snookums
    Snookums Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Well here I sit in a full pressure sleeve of a lovely peach hand and separate arm section. I did NOTHING to bring on the my welling in my left hand. My left was my cancerous breast and I had 27 nodes removed. (all clear! woohoo!)One day I called my onc about some swelling on the top of my left hand and woosh- I was in OT and working on reducing very minimal swelling. It was good I guess looking back now that I learned about it early. I now know there is no magic; a mosquito bite, or any small activity could have caused it. Honestly, I was not doing any extra lifting (5lbs) or such but it got me. I am not glad I have it but now I am not so afraid of it. It is manageable and I don't have to wear my sleeve all the time. If I want I can remove it for a special occassion or whenever I feel like it. I wear it to exercise and use no weights on that side but I live a normal life with it. So, what is my bottom line- don't worry about how to keep away from it to any extreme. Live your life and be smart about lifting heavy items but know if you do get it you'll be able to handle it and move forward. I pray for God's strength in my life and other than that what else do we need.Hope I helped- Candy
  • joules112
    joules112 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    mc2001 said:

Hi Marysun
    Congrats on your medical report! Yes Lymphedema does happen but not to everyone. Plus I think there is a medicine that can help keep it at bay. So, enjoy your good news! And try not to stress over what may not even happen to you. Doctors orders!

-Dr. MC

Do you know the name of the medicine that takes it away? I've had lymphedema for 14 years and it's really a problem for me. Stuck with my achor - pump that I'm hooked up to for 90 minutes twice a day to keep swelling under control. My skin is so tight I feel it will tear. It's got nothing to do with how careful you are! Some folks get it and some don't.