Skipping a day of radiation

Options
rizzo15
rizzo15 Member Posts: 153 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
The radiation machine at my oncology center broke down today and I couldn't get my treatment. For those who have already done radiation, or are doing it now, do you think this happens very often? I know they are very expensive machines and they can't keep a spare one around...but I wanted to get an idea of how many days in a row this would probably happen or if it is unusual.

Comments

• ksfc
    ksfc Member Posts: 251
    Options
    I had radiation last summer and I know the machines broke down one day right after I had my treatment, but they were fixed by the next day. Also, we took a day off for routine maintenance on the machines, and also they let us choose whether or not we wanted to come on the fourth of July. My take is that it happens once in awhile and a day here or there is not big deal. I also got too burned and had to switch to the boost for a few days to let it heal, and then finish up with the regular rads. Hope that helps - Diane
  • mc2001
    mc2001 Member Posts: 343
    Options
    hello Rizzo
    I agree with Diane. These things like all machines have their days when things dont go right, considering how much the rad machines are used. I suggest following your doctors lead. If she isnt too concerned with this missed day, then Im not concerned, either. Besides, the doctors are prepared for these things and they have back up plans if needed. Hope this helps.
    -Michael
  • mc2001
    mc2001 Member Posts: 343
    Options
    new email
    Hello People!
    For those of you that know me, my new email address is:
    mc@only4youvideo.com

just kidding!! lol
  • jeancmici
    jeancmici Member Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    mc2001 said:

hello Rizzo
    I agree with Diane. These things like all machines have their days when things dont go right, considering how much the rad machines are used. I suggest following your doctors lead. If she isnt too concerned with this missed day, then Im not concerned, either. Besides, the doctors are prepared for these things and they have back up plans if needed. Hope this helps.
    -Michael

I had to skip a day for Labor day when I had no choice - radiation was closed for the holiday so my radiation ended on a Monday instead of Friday as the extra day was added on the end. ask them about making up that missed day - would think they intend to do that.
  • heavenlee
    heavenlee Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Hello there,
    I was undergoing radiation during the holidays so I had to miss alot of treatments. They seemed to think it wasn't any big deal..just as long as you have the number you are suppose to in the end. The machine never broke on me..but still missed alot.
    Good luck and Have Faith!
    Angel
  • ryley
    ryley Member Posts: 55
    Options
    I missed a whole week so I could go on vacation. The dr. claimed they give week-long breaks frequently to let women heal towards the end so it was no big deal. I went longer and so had all the treatments I was supposed to have.

Ryley
  • rizzo15
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The radiation oncology folks tell me the machine is broken again today, so I'll miss 2 days, have one treatment, then have another 2 days off for the weekend. I guess it's just me being nervous when things don't go as planned. Again, thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it!
  • rizzo15
    Options
    Hey everyone. It turned out the radiation machine was broken down for 3 whole days. The longest it has every been broken in the history of the radiation center. I had a second session and for my third session I had to wait over 1.5 hours past my regular appointment. Can you believe it? An earlier patient reached down and activated the emergency shutdown system and the mainframe computer had to be completely rebooted. They are saying that this has also never happened in the history of the radiation center (7 years). Maybe the next time they get the patient that shut down the machine, they could superglue his hands to his thighs. I think I am kidding.