disappointed in friends and relatives

SweetSue
SweetSue Member Posts: 217
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
A heartfelt thanks to all of you who replied.
Much love and luck to all of you...you are very kind survivors.
Sue

Comments

• JKAlley
    JKAlley Member Posts: 84
    Sue, keep in touch with us! Judy
  • blossomtime
    blossomtime Member Posts: 98
    Sorry this is late. I went back and read your first posting and I'd like to reply. I was sorry to hear your problem but I can relate. I was divorced after 23 yrs of marriage about 16 months prior to diagnosis. My ex in-laws said nothing would change, I was like a daughter to them. But that has not been the case. I rarely hear from them and got little to no emotional support from them after my diagnosis. My sons dont hear from them either. Not sure if they are afraid I will ask something of them or what. But it is their loss. I have found support from others to more than compensate. I have grown closer to my own mother and sisters. And my coworkers have been here to pull me along when I needed it. I hope you find the support you need but feel free to e-mail me if you need someone to talk to. Also the chat room on this site has been wonderful for me, only wish I had found it sooner. Good luck, Sharon
  • SweetSue
    SweetSue Member Posts: 217

Sorry this is late. I went back and read your first posting and I'd like to reply. I was sorry to hear your problem but I can relate. I was divorced after 23 yrs of marriage about 16 months prior to diagnosis. My ex in-laws said nothing would change, I was like a daughter to them. But that has not been the case. I rarely hear from them and got little to no emotional support from them after my diagnosis. My sons dont hear from them either. Not sure if they are afraid I will ask something of them or what. But it is their loss. I have found support from others to more than compensate. I have grown closer to my own mother and sisters. And my coworkers have been here to pull me along when I needed it. I hope you find the support you need but feel free to e-mail me if you need someone to talk to. Also the chat room on this site has been wonderful for me, only wish I had found it sooner. Good luck, Sharon

in-laws are not blood....good thing u have your family
  • podbr36
    podbr36 Member Posts: 1

I am so glad I found this site!. My dad was diagnosed w/Lung Cancer 6/1/03. In the month that has followed, tests verified cancer has not spread to his liver and bone. He has started radiation this week, and doing well! Now for the hard part...Family and Friends! They have disappeared! I have one sister and four brothers. Two of my brothers have avoided the situation, not even calling or stopping by for Father's day. My wife has distanced herself from me, never asks how I am doing. Completely forgot aboout my birthday on 6/26. Dad's been hospitlaized twice within the month, 2 brothers and wife couldn't find time to visit or even call. My sister has been great, My parents and I are so grateful for her help & support. a 3rd brother lives hours away - but he has found time to visit at the hospital and house. I have moved out of my house back in with my parents to help (both in their 70's, my mom has health issues too). I am their primary caregiver, and have a great sense of purpose in caring for them. All but 2 friends at work have scattered. I am shocked, sad and disappointed. This has been equally as hard to take as the reaction of family members. I just can't comprehend why they have recated like this. I am so sad and frustrated, I am seeking counseling.
    Thank you for listening. -brian

podbr36@charter.net