Large B-cell lymphoma

12346»

Comments

• Rexmax
    Rexmax Member Posts: 55 Member
    No Neulasta

Nothing to boost any blood counts and BC/BS is our only insurance, right now just waiting on approval on a Cat Scan....

• yesyes2
    yesyes2 Member Posts: 591

Sounds to me, for what it's worth, that the insurance declined because of the diagnosis.  You could ask your doctor to re submit with DLBC as your diagnosis.

Neulasta usually isn't given for people under 60 unless their blood counts tank to a dangerous level.

Back when I was having PET/CTs all were approved, and I was getting them every 4 months for about 3 years.  Anthem BC paid for everything.  We than changed to CT and than to ultra sounds.  I received way too many scans.

Wishing you the best Rexmax.

• Rexmax
    Pet

The Dr told insurance about DLBC still won't approve and I'm 62 so just hoping for the best right now 

• yesyes2
    yesyes2 Member Posts: 591
    edited October 2017 #105
    Pet

Rexmax,

Sorry that the insurance is being so difficult.  Let us know what happens with the CT scan.

Best to you,

Leslie

• lindary
    lindary Member Posts: 711 Member
    edited October 2017 #106
    BCBS

I have the same insurance. I had the Dr tell me several time that they had to wait before doing another CT or PET because the insurance insisted on a certain wait period between scans. The Drs seemed very familiar with this. 

• Rexmax
    lindary said:

BCBS

I have the same insurance. I had the Dr tell me several time that they had to wait before doing another CT or PET because the insurance insisted on a certain wait period between scans. The Drs seemed very familiar with this. 

Scans

I agree shouldn't have too many scans just confusing when insurance says it's not medically necessary still waiting on approval for CT scan....

• Rexmax
    Scan update

Insurance approved 2 CT scans for tomorrow chest and neck see onc on Thursday 12th will keep ya all updated.Besides my eyes continually watering, a couple of canker sores and feeling 100 yrs old I feel GREAT!!!!

• Sandy Ray
    Sandy Ray Member Posts: 143 Member
    Rexmax said:

Scan update

Insurance approved 2 CT scans for tomorrow chest and neck see onc on Thursday 12th will keep ya all updated.Besides my eyes continually watering, a couple of canker sores and feeling 100 yrs old I feel GREAT!!!!

Updates

Thanks for the updates. 

Praying all goes well.

Sandy Ray

• Rexmax
    edited October 2017 #110
    Update

CT Scans all clear! No more Chemo. Will start 2yr Rituxan maintenance. Hoping for good news for all. My onc did say my insurance Drs.are all complete idiots and have no experience with oncology and that they gave him high blood pressure over the Pet denial lol...

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,812 Member
    Rexmax said:

Update

CT Scans all clear! No more Chemo. Will start 2yr Rituxan maintenance. Hoping for good news for all. My onc did say my insurance Drs.are all complete idiots and have no experience with oncology and that they gave him high blood pressure over the Pet denial lol...

Correct

When you are dealing with insurance companies you are dealing with idiots: any company, any time.

I once had to wait months for my carrier to pay for a huge hospital bill (not cancer related).  They said that their accountants had audited my bill, but because of the size, they had to have a second firm audit it also. Finally, they said the second audit was cleared and they were paying.   

My bill was single-spaced, 60 pages long.  Over the phone, when the agent told me the the audits were good and they were paying, I asked her to look at the first item on the bill, at the top of the first page (page 1).  She asked what the issue was.  I told her,"Look at my date of admission, and then look at the date of Line 1."   The bill was charging for ICU care for two days prior to me ever being admitted !!  And they had the admission date there at the top of the same sheet.   Line 2 was the same thing: ICU charges for before I was admitted or injured.

She said, "Just forget about it -- it's over with."

max

• stuartdean
    stuartdean Member Posts: 2 *

Good Day Starshine

i,m a survivor. Although Ihad every chemotherapy in the book. It,s the car-t treatment that helped me finally beat it.

Good foodstuffs ( organic). Great attitude or enjoy every moment you can. S.

• stuartdean
    stuartdean Member Posts: 2 *

So UCSF has the car-t program. They filter healthy dna cells from your blood. Send them to kite laboratory’s who modify those cells to

reconize bcell lymphomas and eat it. Then they reinfused those cells which ate all my cancer away. So there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

• HarryHook
    HarryHook Member Posts: 7 Member

Hello Rocky5,

I am 70 years old and recently diagnosed with Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma. It is fast growing and it is curable. I haven't heard a word from anyone regarding whether my age makes me less likely to get better. In fact, my oncologist simply told me that we were going to kill my lymphoma. He made the decision to do a different treatment though: instead of R-CHOP, I am going to get EPOCH chemo. There's only a small difference in the drugs used, but the way the chemo is administered is different and I am thinking he may have opted for this treatment, which I am starting in a couple of days, because of my age. I am admitted to the hospital for 5 days during which I receive the drugs over that 5 day period. Then I leave the hospital for 16 days when I return to do it again for 5 days. And so on for 6 treatments. The whole thing will take 126 days if all goes according to plan. I don't think the chemo drugs are any easier in my treatment, but infusing them over 5 days while in the hospital allows the doctors to monitor my reaction closer.

I think you should stop thinking that your father's age will make him less likely to respond well to treatment because I don't think it's true. I suppose it may be possible for an older person to have more trouble with side effects, but that may not be true either. Most of us old guys have been through a lot in our lives and we've developed the ability to deal with all kinds of things. All that having been said, I don't start my chemo for a few days, so we will soon find out.