26 year old chemo,mastectomy,rad

newjersey25
newjersey25 Member Posts: 27
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello, everyone! It's been a while since I have posted a messege on this site. For any new comers who have questions, feel free to ask. I am a wealth of knowledge now. I had 6 months of chemo. AC and taxotere. I have had double mastectomy, and now I am receiving radiation treatments. Only 10 more to go. I am still in the reconstruction stages for my breasts, but everything looks good. I HAD stage IIIa breast cancer and I say that because, I just got news that I am in remission! It was and still is a long road traveled, but you do get through it. I went through every emotion imaginable, and I have come to the conclusion that, worrying doesn't help anything! I would go nights on end without sleeping and I would cry all of the time and say how unfair this all was. This isn't a death sentence, and cancer hasn't made me a weaker person, it has made me stronger than I ever thought possible. I got mad and fought back and I won. I hope everyone the best, you can get through this! I would love to hear from anyone who wants to talk or needs answers. Fawn

Comments

• inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    GO Fawn! So happy to hear that you're doing so well! Thanks for your message of encouragement, filled with such spirit! I so enjoy reading wonderful, positive posts which acknowledge our sometimes nightmarish experiences, yet prove that we not only CAN but DO recover, emotionally, as well as physically.

KUDOS to you and keep that light shining!

Love, light and alughter,
    Ink
  • rizzo15
    rizzo15 Member Posts: 153 Member
    Congratulations, Fawn (newjersey25)!! I am so happy for you. Such a long road; and a great attitude! Since I am also a IIIa, could you tell me at what point they consider you in remission? I did AC chemo & mastectomy. Done 1 of 3 months of taxotere. Then on to radiation. Just like you, except I'm not doing reconstruction. If I were 26 instead of 51, I probably would have made a different choice on that one. My oncologist has mentioned several times that everything they are doing from now on is "prophyllatic" treatment. He tells me this means nobody can prove that all the cancer isn't already gone. But they are doing the rest because the statistics show that doing the rest will improve my chances of a longer life by not having the cancer come back. They are supposedly trying to beat the odds by attacking any microscopic cancer stuff that may still be in by body. Is this kinda what they told you?
  • newjersey25
    rizzo15 said:

Congratulations, Fawn (newjersey25)!! I am so happy for you. Such a long road; and a great attitude! Since I am also a IIIa, could you tell me at what point they consider you in remission? I did AC chemo & mastectomy. Done 1 of 3 months of taxotere. Then on to radiation. Just like you, except I'm not doing reconstruction. If I were 26 instead of 51, I probably would have made a different choice on that one. My oncologist has mentioned several times that everything they are doing from now on is "prophyllatic" treatment. He tells me this means nobody can prove that all the cancer isn't already gone. But they are doing the rest because the statistics show that doing the rest will improve my chances of a longer life by not having the cancer come back. They are supposedly trying to beat the odds by attacking any microscopic cancer stuff that may still be in by body. Is this kinda what they told you?

Hello. I had 6 months of chemo AC and taxotere 4 rounds of each. After the chemo was done the doctors told me that I was in remission. After the mastectomys they found a little more cancer, but I finally had clear margins..Good news at last!The doctors said that they couldn't find any traces of cancer in the blood work and they considered me in remission. I am almost done with the radiation 9 more left and I am really red from it. No pain though, since I don't have feeling there anymore. I was told however that I am a high risk of the cancer coming back. That's how it is when you have IIIa. But, I hope for the best!! That's all I can do. Ask your doctor when they will know if you are in remission. You may already be there. I had to ask. I am also on tamoxifen. I have to be on it for 5 years!! I have only been taking it for 3 months. How long do you have to take it? They told me that the radiation was to help sterilize the area and clean up anything the surgery missed. Hope to hear from you soon. Fawn
  • rizzo15
    rizzo15 Member Posts: 153 Member

Hello. I had 6 months of chemo AC and taxotere 4 rounds of each. After the chemo was done the doctors told me that I was in remission. After the mastectomys they found a little more cancer, but I finally had clear margins..Good news at last!The doctors said that they couldn't find any traces of cancer in the blood work and they considered me in remission. I am almost done with the radiation 9 more left and I am really red from it. No pain though, since I don't have feeling there anymore. I was told however that I am a high risk of the cancer coming back. That's how it is when you have IIIa. But, I hope for the best!! That's all I can do. Ask your doctor when they will know if you are in remission. You may already be there. I had to ask. I am also on tamoxifen. I have to be on it for 5 years!! I have only been taking it for 3 months. How long do you have to take it? They told me that the radiation was to help sterilize the area and clean up anything the surgery missed. Hope to hear from you soon. Fawn

Thanks, Fawn. I still can't figure out how they decide the order of things. But I did 4 rounds of AC (4 months), then mastectomy. In the middle of 3 rounds of taxotere now. Then 7 weeks of radiation. I don't get to do tamoxifen because I have negative receptors and it won't do me any good. I hear that tamoxifen has great results for people who can actually benefit from it--so I was sad not to be eligible to take it. The doctors were saying that people with negative receptors usually have really good shrinkage of the tumor before surgery with AC. And they were right. I had what is known as a "ghost-ectomy" because there was absolutely no trace of the 5/6 mm tumor after the AC at the former biopsy area. But the bad news was that I had 4 cancerous lymph nodes. Not fixed--attached to each other or any surrounding tissue. The surgeon and pathology report definitely specified clean margins for the lymph node removal part.
    One other question. Did Taxotere make you really tired? My oncologist seems amazed that I'm still working and offered me a week off after the first round (4 infusions). He says the main side effect is fatigue. My thinking is that if my blood holds up (red/white blood cells) and I'm not falling down tired, I'll just keep going back for more Taxotere every week. Did you go straight through, or take a break now and again?
  • nasa2537
    nasa2537 Member Posts: 311
    emotional meltdown
    Hi all...I haven't posted in ages, and I see all new names. So, a big hello to you all! Just need to vent a little....I was diagnosed with Stage 1 BC in Aug. 2001. Had lumpectomy & 33 rad tx. A very dear friend was diagnosed 1 yr after I was...Stage 1-C..2cm tumor and no node involvement, but had family history. So, she had lumpectomy, chemo and rad. I talked to her last week & she has mets to lung and brain. I'm freaking out here...you put yourself in a mindset tht Stage 1 is really good, and since I'm taking tamoxifen, all should be well. She was ER & PR negative, so no tamoxifen. But still....I had never heard of Stage 1 going into mets when there was no node involvement. In the same week, my neighbor and good friend was diagnosed with terminal colon cancer, my mom sent me her life ins. info, and my hubby sent me to the book store to buy a book on preparing a will. (That was something we've been wanting to do for quite awhile....it just came up at the wrong time). I dealt with my own mortality when I heard the word cancer, and have done really well dealing with it. I guess I'm just freaking out at dealing with everyone else's right now...and now worrying that my Stage 1 wasn't so safe after all. Well, thanks for letting me vent....what a way to get back into the group, huh??? Thanks for listening! God bless, Cyndi
  • janetkp
    janetkp Member Posts: 2
    rizzo15 said:

Rizzo, are you able to have a PET scan to determine whether any cancer remains? I am 56 and had breast reconstruction. It's wonderful at 56 to be able to go bra-less. My oncologist offered me a PET scan and look forward to learning I am now cancer free. I say cancer free because I truly believe I am.
  • newjersey25
    rizzo15 said:

Thanks, Fawn. I still can't figure out how they decide the order of things. But I did 4 rounds of AC (4 months), then mastectomy. In the middle of 3 rounds of taxotere now. Then 7 weeks of radiation. I don't get to do tamoxifen because I have negative receptors and it won't do me any good. I hear that tamoxifen has great results for people who can actually benefit from it--so I was sad not to be eligible to take it. The doctors were saying that people with negative receptors usually have really good shrinkage of the tumor before surgery with AC. And they were right. I had what is known as a "ghost-ectomy" because there was absolutely no trace of the 5/6 mm tumor after the AC at the former biopsy area. But the bad news was that I had 4 cancerous lymph nodes. Not fixed--attached to each other or any surrounding tissue. The surgeon and pathology report definitely specified clean margins for the lymph node removal part.
    One other question. Did Taxotere make you really tired? My oncologist seems amazed that I'm still working and offered me a week off after the first round (4 infusions). He says the main side effect is fatigue. My thinking is that if my blood holds up (red/white blood cells) and I'm not falling down tired, I'll just keep going back for more Taxotere every week. Did you go straight through, or take a break now and again?

Hello Rizzo, The taxotere did make me tired, but that is to be expected with any type of chemo. Other than that I really didn't seem to have any problems.. Your energy level will return after you are all done with the treatments. It takes time though. I am still a little less energetic then I used to be. Someday I should feel as good as new. I am having trouble being soooo tired from the radiation. I take like 2 naps per day and they are usually at least an hour and a half each. I guess my body needs it. Well speaking of sleep I'm ready for bed. Talk to you soon, Fawn
  • Kimm
    Kimm Member Posts: 12
    fawn I wll need you. I have lumps under armpit and left breast bad stage 3. checkig to see if in my bones or anywhere else. need someone stronge to guide me. Please write me when you can if you have time. robbkimm@hotmail.com

scared in Seattle
    kimm