DCSI

Options
Carrottop
Carrottop Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am 3 weeks out of surgery for a simple mastectomy and reconstruction from DCSI. I am taking Evista and have been for several years. Beyond that there is no recommended treatment from my oncologist except to stay as far away from estrogen as possible. Is this truly a miracle or should I investigate further. All borders were clear but there were atypical cells present. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Comments

• cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to this site! I also had DCIS. I had a lumpectomy then Mastectomy and immed. Tram Flap reconstruction. I was estrogen positive so I'm taking Tamoxifen for 5 years, 2 1/2 down 2 1/2 to go. That's the only treatment I've had other than regular checkups every 6 mos. by the surgeon, and every 6 mos by the gyn to monitor uterous for possible uterine cancer from the Tamoxifen. I also get mammos and breast ultrasounds 1 time a year. You didn't mention if you are estrogen positive or not. I gather you're not as you never mentioned Tamoxifen. Good luck! Keep in touch! HUGS!! Cathy
  • jeancmici
    jeancmici Member Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    cruf said:

Hi! Welcome to this site! I also had DCIS. I had a lumpectomy then Mastectomy and immed. Tram Flap reconstruction. I was estrogen positive so I'm taking Tamoxifen for 5 years, 2 1/2 down 2 1/2 to go. That's the only treatment I've had other than regular checkups every 6 mos. by the surgeon, and every 6 mos by the gyn to monitor uterous for possible uterine cancer from the Tamoxifen. I also get mammos and breast ultrasounds 1 time a year. You didn't mention if you are estrogen positive or not. I gather you're not as you never mentioned Tamoxifen. Good luck! Keep in touch! HUGS!! Cathy

Evista is taking the place of tamoxifen and it does not have the problem of possible uterine cancer. I know a doctor's wife who is taking this under the same circumstances you are. However, I am a bit confused with your message. You mentioned taking Evista for several years - this was before knowing about the DCIS?

Keep in touch here and keep reading.
    Jean
  • Were your lymph nodes clear? I had similar surgery, but small tumor, clear nodes. Chose to do chemo as my insurance policy. Studies similar to my case show the recurrence woiuld go down from a 20% to 5% chance over my lifespan. I'd ask your oncologist to give you the studies that are closest to your case. I'd question him if chemo would give you any benefit, then decide if it is worth it for you. Good luck!!
  • isaiah4031
    isaiah4031 Member Posts: 240
    Options
    My mom had that initial diagnosis. Had mastectomy and tramflap reconstruction. No chemo. No rad. Recurrence this year after 2 1/2 years. Now having chemo and rad. I had stage 1 with rad and chemo for insurance (if there is such a thing!) Anyway, both of us were on Tamoxifen. She was dc'd with recurrence however. Read up on all the alternatives. Don't accept one doctor's word as the only options for treatment. You need to be proactive in your care. Continue researching...here on this site, on the Internet, etc. YOU find your options. Don't rely totally on the medical profession (I am an RN) They don't know everything and sometimes are reluctant to admit this. I'll be praying for you.
    Love, Jayne
  • lauraelena
    lauraelena Member Posts: 4
    Options
    unknown said:

Were your lymph nodes clear? I had similar surgery, but small tumor, clear nodes. Chose to do chemo as my insurance policy. Studies similar to my case show the recurrence woiuld go down from a 20% to 5% chance over my lifespan. I'd ask your oncologist to give you the studies that are closest to your case. I'd question him if chemo would give you any benefit, then decide if it is worth it for you. Good luck!!

Hi, Sorry for the interruption but I saw your comment and I have to decide about chemo or not chemo in a few days. I'm 32 years old mother of a 7 year old girl and a 4 year old boy I had mestectomy, .6 cm. tumor and DCSI, no lymph nodes. Doctor haven't share that information with me they said that the benefits would be minimal. Can you help me? How did you found out? What was the size of your tumor? Plese This is driving me crazy. Laura