taxatere side effects

Lamanna
Lamanna Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm new to this site so please bear with me! I had a mastectomy in Oct., negative nodes but a deep positive margin. My cancer was dcis and invasive, nuclear grade; so I'm doing everything to get rid of it. I pretty much "breezed" through the AC (4) cycles both physically and mentally. This taxatere is really getting to me though! I get a lower weekly dose. Almost immediately I began to have sinus congestion problems (same thing happened as soon as I was pregnant with my 3 kids). The doctors ans nurses say they havn't heard of this as a side effect. I think I've had a cold this past week, but can't tell for sure because I've felt so congested for 7 weeks now. I usually get spring allergies about mid April and have successfully been on Nasalide (a steroid)for years now. Has anyone else had this experience? I've been having minor nosebleeds from dryness and just trying to blow out the congestion that I know is there.
Also my sense of taste is shot. Not a major thing, but I'm Italian-American and I live to eat!!:) I hate to sound like such a complainer especially when I've been so lucky. I have 5 treatments left but I'm sooo tired now and discouraged AND disappointed with myself for not staying upbeat. Is anyone else having these same side effects? I'm 53; my kids are 25,21 & 8 (a boy and we're still in shock,but I need to keep up with and positive for him!)

Comments

• sandytrif525
    sandytrif525 Member Posts: 106
    Dear Cricket: I also had 4 rounds of AC and 4 of Taxatere. Everything tasted salty from the taxatere. If something had a little bit of salt, forget it it was terrible. I also had a problem with finger nail discoloration. My oncologist told me to polish them a dark color. I also had to rub teatree oil on my nails and take vit B for my nails. I don't think that I ever got congested. Maybe it is like you said your alergies. I know that they are predicting them to be pretty bad this season and earlier. I have 4 kids, 2 girls 19,17 a boy 14 and a girl 12. was Dx at 41 and am almost 43 now. Hang in there, almost done. I am married to an Italian-American. May the Lord Jesus Bless you. Sandy
  • bdean
    bdean Member Posts: 259
    Dear Cricket:
    I cannot believe your nurses told you they had never heard of sinus problems and nose bleeds as side effects to Taxatere! Mine were so severe, I could hardly see for the constant watering of my eyes. I developed a cough plus constant drainage of sinuses and then some nose bleeding with every dose! My nurse even checked with other patients and found that Tylenol Sinus/Allergy tablets helped, and they did to some extent. You see you are having an allergic reaction to the chemo. It even made the skin around my eyes (like a Zorro mask area) look blistered. Thankfully that cleared up, but I kept having all kinds of similar problems until the doctor had to change me to Taxol which I tolerated much better - but still had some sinus problems and a cough.
    Good luck to you. Hope you find something that helps - Benedryl also helps me, but check with your doctor.
    God bless,
    Brenda
  • Tori
    Tori Member Posts: 6
    Hello Cricket! i have been reading your side effects with the chemo and they sound something like mine. I have been on this chemo for 18 months and have had the watering eyes and sinus problems. I think I invested in the Motrin Sinus company by now. The doctors told me they had not heard of this side effect and that not having eyelashes caused my eyes to water. Recently, the side effects now include fluid in my lungs, which meant low blood pressure,elevated pulse and not able to inhale deeply. The remedy, a needle into my lung thru my back. Yes, that sucked but I could breathe. Now, it seems like I will be there next week again. Stay on top of how you feel on this chemo, and the doctors do not really know how each person will react. God Bless
  • ryley
    ryley Member Posts: 55
    I am also new to this site, sorry it took so long to respond to your letter. I am in my 7th round of Taxotere. The first 6 rounds were Tax and Arithromycin (red devil). My side effects were numbness in mouth, hands and feet. The mouth numbness resulted in a loss of taste for food. I, too, am married to an Italian-American and food is life. So it really sucks that I can't taste for a awhile after chemo. I am getting a Neulastin injection after chemo to bring my white count up and it seems that once the effects of the Neulastin go away, my tast comes back. So could be a result of low blood count, or could be a coincidence. I know I have a full "bad" week after chemo before I feel relatively normal again. I am getting the rounds 3 weeks apart so I feel pretty good by the time I go for chemo again. Thank God for small favors.

You might want to try eating very spicy food or high in fat in order to taste something. Hamburger cravings are standard for me now and I didn't care about hamburgers at all before BC!

Good luck and just remember that this too will pass.

Ryley
  • Lamanna
    Lamanna Member Posts: 4
    bdean said:

Dear Cricket:
    I cannot believe your nurses told you they had never heard of sinus problems and nose bleeds as side effects to Taxatere! Mine were so severe, I could hardly see for the constant watering of my eyes. I developed a cough plus constant drainage of sinuses and then some nose bleeding with every dose! My nurse even checked with other patients and found that Tylenol Sinus/Allergy tablets helped, and they did to some extent. You see you are having an allergic reaction to the chemo. It even made the skin around my eyes (like a Zorro mask area) look blistered. Thankfully that cleared up, but I kept having all kinds of similar problems until the doctor had to change me to Taxol which I tolerated much better - but still had some sinus problems and a cough.
    Good luck to you. Hope you find something that helps - Benedryl also helps me, but check with your doctor.
    God bless,
    Brenda

Dear Brenda,
    Thanks for your answer. At least now I know I'm not going crazy and these sinus problems really do exist! The benedryl is helping enough to make a difference. My eyelashes started growing back but my eyes are watering more than ever! I just need to make it through 3 more weekly treatments (the next 3 Fridays) - hope I can do it! Thanks again!
    Peace,
    Cricket