questions on arimidex

cinder
cinder Member Posts: 50
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My breast cancer has returned. I had a lumpectomy in 1993, went thru chemo and radiation and 5 years of tamoxifen. I was admitted to the hospital last month and they said that the pleura had filled with fluid, they went in with a needle and drained off 3 liters of fluid. A week later they insert a chest tube and drained a lot more fluid off and put something in there to seal it so it can not fill again. That is when they discovered that the cancer has returned and they have put me on arimidex once a day. I'd like to hear from people that have taken this drug and what I can expect and how well it works. Thanks to all

Cinder

Comments

• fregede
    fregede Member Posts: 3
    Hi Cinder, I had a lumpectomy in 1992, just radiation and tamoxifen for 5 years. In 2000 a mammogram discovered another spot of cancer in same breast. Had mastectomy and reconstruction and went back on tamoxifen. Have had hot flashes for years, asked surgeon what I could do about them. He suggested effexor which is an antidepressant. Tried that but did not work. He sent me to the oncologist and he put me on arimidex in December, 2002. Don't know how it will work on the recurrence of cancer, will have to see but it doesn't work on alleviating hot flashes. In fact, I seem to be getting them more often than before. Sorry I am not much help. Just wanted to tell my story. Good luck with you. Kay
  • chef
    chef Member Posts: 17
    I to have had a recurrence of BC. I was pre-menopausal prior to the chemo and post-menopausal afterwards. So I didn't know what to expect from hot-flashes and the other effects. I have only been on Arimidex 6 months after stopping the chemo. I'm not having an problems with it. I am having weight gain...but I didn't know if it were from the menopause, being out of work, the Arimidex, the depression, not eating right or not exercising. Huh, probably all of the above.
  • joycey
    joycey Member Posts: 4
    If you go to this web site it should answer alot of your questions on arimidex http://www.drugdigest.org . On right side of page they have a search box enter arimidex. will give you description, side ffects, & other important info. I was on it also , now on aromasin ( almost identical). Menopause on top of bc is a lot to handle. The medicine is suppose to be very effective in controlling cancer. hang in there!
  • LJW
    LJW Member Posts: 6
    I had surgery last May, and was on chemo (AC) for 12 weeks, followed by 37 radiation treatments. Because I still have my uterus, my oncologist put me on Arimidex. I felt OK, but had bad shaking at night; I just felt like I wanted to crawl out of my skin! So, the doctor put me on Aromasin (almost the same as Arimidex), and I have had no reaction. I did ask my doctor why I was on these drugs instead of Tamoxofin (occurance of uteruen cancer rare), he said in the latest medical findings, and in his experience, Arimidex and Aromasin resulted in better results. That made me feel even better. My hot flashes were pretty severe at first, but have since reduced dramtically........
  • sarajane
    sarajane Member Posts: 22
    Iam brand new to this site but saw your question on arimidex....It does seem to be very effective..I also take it once a day..Biggest side effect is the joint pain but I ind the more I make myself walk the better my joints feel. the hot flashes do better in time I am told and i find using a lavender scented baby powder seems to help me feel less sticky. Hang in there and remember this is a new drug and there are even newer ones in tjhe pipeline.
  • dmll
    dmll Member Posts: 1
    Brain fog/memory problems on Arimidex

Hi.  I'm new to this.  I've been taking Arimidex for almost two years now.  Yesterday I realized that I really have brain fog and poor memory.  Is this normal while taking this drug?  I become very sleepy and fatigued during the day.  I don't like this at all.  Can anyone at least tell me this is the Arimidex or am I just getting old before my time (66 Years)?  Thank you in advance. 

• Survival 9 years
    Survival 9 years Member Posts: 1
    Femara vs arimedex long time use

I have been on arimdex 9 years, I just switched to femara..joint pain is better but having balance problems and has anyone had fatigue and mental acuity problems w this.

• Sharnine
    Sharnine Member Posts: 3
    Arimidex stopped by dr

I have been on arimidex since 2012. My doc has not renewed my prescription for almost 2 months until my bone density test can be done. Can this cause reoccurring  cancer being off this long?

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    I cant tell right now..

I haven't been on it long enough to know and I am still getting herceptin.  Both have simular side effects so... after July maybe I will get a better evaluation of it.  I was 5 years post menopausal and enjoying that my hotflashes were gone.  When I started on the Ameridex, Wham!, they have flooded me.  Right now the doc says 5 yrs on it.  I dont know if I can take it. 

• Kats2
    Kats2 Member Posts: 126
    Treatment may be done

Hi Shamine,

As far as I know, the usual amount of time a person stays on an anti-hormone pill is 5 years. You may be all done unless your bone scan shows that something is up. Ask your Oncologist about this. My sister was on Tamoxifen for 3 years and then Arimidex for 2 years. Then she was all done. She's fine now and it's been 16 years since she last took Arimidex. Good luck!      Kats2

• booksandnumbers
    booksandnumbers Member Posts: 30
    edited March 2017 #12
    Arimidex SE

I've been taking Arimidex since November. Hot flashes were awful, especially at night. The doctor prescribed a low dose of Lexapro which makes a world of difference. Other than the hot flashes the SE were bearable. Good luck to everyone here.

• Mariangel43
    Mariangel43 Member Posts: 79
    edited March 2017 #13
    I am on Arimidex

I was talking to my BS because joint pains were getting more and more stronger.  What really hurts are the ligaments that join the muscles to the bones in my case.  I cannot use aspirin (allergic) or its derivatives and I am allergic to steroids too.  So, I have no antiinflammatory drugs to help me. But as I was looking on Femara and Aromasin, I saw that the SE are worst.  Now I am looking for something to alleviate the joint pains.  I cannot use Evista (SERM) or Tamoxifen because of the types of SE.  I have no choice. When my osteoporosis gets worse, I will stop tx and put my life on my Lord's hands and wait for his will.  I need quality of life more than quantity of life.  If my MO changes me to Tamoxifen, I will need surgery to avoid cancer of the uterus.  

I thought my elder years were going to be better than my childhood years (I was always sick).  But now I see my expectations were unreal and I cannot say if it is worse or the same. Yes, I am getting depressed after nine months.

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member

I am on Arimidex

I was talking to my BS because joint pains were getting more and more stronger.  What really hurts are the ligaments that join the muscles to the bones in my case.  I cannot use aspirin (allergic) or its derivatives and I am allergic to steroids too.  So, I have no antiinflammatory drugs to help me. But as I was looking on Femara and Aromasin, I saw that the SE are worst.  Now I am looking for something to alleviate the joint pains.  I cannot use Evista (SERM) or Tamoxifen because of the types of SE.  I have no choice. When my osteoporosis gets worse, I will stop tx and put my life on my Lord's hands and wait for his will.  I need quality of life more than quantity of life.  If my MO changes me to Tamoxifen, I will need surgery to avoid cancer of the uterus.  

I thought my elder years were going to be better than my childhood years (I was always sick).  But now I see my expectations were unreal and I cannot say if it is worse or the same. Yes, I am getting depressed after nine months.

so sorry to hear of your pain...

Mariangel43, I understand what you mean about the bone and ligiment pain.  I too am allergic to pain meds and steroids.  Sometimes I break down and take one followed by a benadryl.  but I can only handle one about every 5 days.  Other than that, I take warm sitz baths, drink plenty of water to flush my system, and ice and heatpads when I can.  I just learn where I can place them adn for how long.   It is a struggle.   I hope you find your way.

Sincerely,

Annie

• Lydia1234
    Lydia1234 Member Posts: 8
    Aromacin

I have taken exemestane (generic Aromacin) for a year. At 60 I had DCIS and a partial mastectomy with lymph node biopsy that was negative for cancer. Received 33 radiation treatments. My cancer was estrogen & progesterone fed. Aromacin is prescribed for post menopause instead of tamoxifen. My hot flashes were bad and my oncologist prescribed gabapentin for the hot flashes and it has helped a lot. Gabapentin is prescribed for seizures but an off use is for hot flashes. I started on a low dose and he increased it which helped more. I still have joint aches & pains & take ibuprofen to help. At least the hot flashes are greatly reduced now. My oncologist also told me there was one other drug that I could try for hot flashes if the gabapentin didn't work but I don't know the name of it. Hope this helps.

• crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441
    edited April 2017 #16
    Arimidex

Ive been on anastrozole (generic Arimidex) for one year and four months as I write this, except for one month this spring when I took a break. I wanted to see if I would feel better without it. I couldn't tell if my aches and pains and depression were due to old age or the drug. Short answer: it was the drug. But I'm determined to take it for five years. The first time I had DCIS I didn't finish taking the tamoxifen, I only took it for one and a half years, and I had a recurrence of DCIS 6 years later.  Tamoxifen and anastrozole give me hot flashes even though I was post menopause already before taking either one of them; in other words the drugs made it worse. I had a sleep study done last month and it showed that I didn't get any REM sleep that night because of the hot flashes.  While I was on tamoxifen, I was given Effexor. It dulled my senses.  I could no longer have an orgasm because of it. That lasted for years after I stopped taking both of those drugs.  I don't want to scare you, but every drug has its side effects; it's a matter of quality of life to choose one.