Lost my Mom 6-23-03, now my Dad is sick

Options
michiel
michiel Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Caregivers #1
About nine months ago I lost my Mom to brain cancer. She had been battling cancer of one type or another for almost ten years. In the months before her death I ran myself ragged trying to travel every weekend, to my parents home three hours away, to try and give my Dad a break. During this time I had health problems of my own, a stressful job, and family that never talks about my moms illnes too much. I kept it together for my parents, but in the rest of my life I became very depressed and had a lot of anxiety. I'm still grieving for the loss of my Mom, but thought I had the depression and anxiety under control.

Yesterday my Dad told my he had prostrate cancer. He is coming to stay at my home while he under goes treatment. I am happy to care for him, but I feel overwhelmed with nervousness and worry. I don't know if I can do this again.

Comments

• bygrace
    bygrace Member Posts: 25
    Options
    God bless you... I know you have to be emotionally and physically worn out. I've been through a lot of cancer battles with my parents. My dad died recently of lung cancer. I have found a grief site.. www.griefnet.org that helps. Hopefully your dad has a good prognosis with the prostate cancer and they caught it early. Your parents are so blessed to have you.. and one day you'll be able to look back on these tough times with peace that you did your best. I hope you can build up a support network with others who do want to talk. Bottling it up inside makes us sick too. love and prayers, Terri