Radiation after Chemo?

Options
AnnaB
AnnaB Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am currently undergoing chemo - will finish in 3 more treatments. I had a mastectomy in December on my left side, with an AND. Tumor came back as ER positive, HER2 NEU extremely positive and was a total of 5 cm. However, the bulk of the tumor was DCIS and only .9cm was invasive. And, it had spread to 2 lymph nodes. I have been told by my medical team that I do not meet the criteria for radiation. However, I wish to be aggressive and go ahead and do the radiation. My radiation oncologist says he supports whatever decision I make, and also added he would lean toward doing the radiation, based on the "weirdness" of my tumor. Plus the fact that I'm 39 and want to do whatever it takes to keep me around to see my son grow up! Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I'm thinking I'm going to go for it, but would appreciate any thoughts you may be able to offer!

Comments

• sassysally
    sassysally Member Posts: 150
    Options
    Radiation is uncomfortable, like a really..really ..bad sunburn by the end, but I say HAVE THE RADIATION. I did, I'm 41 now, and that was 13 yrs ago. If you don't and the cancer comes back you will ask yourself "What if..." so, do all you can, You'll be really glad you did. Thanks for sharing you life with me. I am a survivor. So are you! HOORAY!
  • lizzy
    lizzy Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hello Anna, I too had a mastectomy on my left side, this was 2years ago! I had 7months of chemo and 1month of radiation, my lymph nodes were also involved. I had a very aggressive and wonderful oncologist and I am doing fantastic! I agree with you, go for the radiation, do what ever it takes to lessen the reoccurance! Hang in there, it will be over before you know it...
  • believer5409
    believer5409 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    How may chemo treatment do you have to get? You have to be in control of your body. I would try everything possible to prevent it from coming back. You don't want to say what it I had done the radiation. By the way what is AND?
  • sandytrif525
    sandytrif525 Member Posts: 106
    Options
    dear annaB. I had radiation after my chemo as well. it was always part of my plan. it is uncomfortable only at the end. but it is draining because you must go everyday and it only takes about 10 min. also not very discreet. they just whip that gown open and draw on you and whip it closed again.the tatoos are a bummer too. mine are very small, but i have friends whose are large. they look like big blackheads. i would also do what ever i could to prevent this. God bless you. sandy
  • TylersMom1
    TylersMom1 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Hi Anna,

I finished my radiation two months ago, after a lumpectomy and chemo. I say "follow your gut". If you want radiation and the radiation oncologist says he supports it, I would go ahead and get it. You want to be able to say to yourself that you have done EVERYTHING you could to prevent it from coming back. I know I'm glad I had both. God bless...Cheryl
  • AnnaB
    AnnaB Member Posts: 9
    Options

How may chemo treatment do you have to get? You have to be in control of your body. I would try everything possible to prevent it from coming back. You don't want to say what it I had done the radiation. By the way what is AND?

I'm having a total of 8 chemo treatments - 4 of A/C and 4 of Taxol. I'm doing the "dense dose", meaning I'm going every 2 weeks, instead of the standard 3 weeks. So, I do feel like I'm taking control and being aggressive. And, I definitely agree with you about doing everything possible to prevent it from coming back. AND is Axillary Node Dissection - out of 20 nodes, 2 came back positive (and for that, I'm grateful, based on the size of the tumor!). Thanks for responding. You all have confirmed my decision to "go for it"!
  • marytres
    marytres Member Posts: 144
    Options
    Wow, reading all the posts I wonder if I'm the odd ball one. I had 8 rounds of chemo 4 EPI and 4 CMF. I asked the oncologist about radiation but he said it wasn't necessary. Ask my doctor and he said the same think so I don't know if I did the right thing or not. I had 14 out of 18 lymph nodes positive. Hugs, Marie
  • ksfc
    ksfc Member Posts: 251
    Options
    I had radiation after chemo, but I only had a lumpectomy, not a mastecomy. I think it's more common to do rads when you only have a lumpectomy.
    Just remember that the rads don't come without complications. I would do it all again because it's what I needed to do, but I'm left with lymphadema, not only in my arm, but in my breast and surrounding area. Diane