Early Detection age Colon Cancer

livin
livin Member Posts: 318 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I do not know why Doctors are still recommending Colonoscopy at age 50. Times have changed people are getting it in thier 30's and 40's. This is the twenty first century. Kids are eating more fat and exercising less. I think they need to change the age for looking for Colon Cancer. Just my opinon.

Comments

• cp1264
    cp1264 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Livin,
    You may be right, but my oncologist has stated, and I have read for myself, that there is no scientific data that proves diet has anything to do with colon cancer. Colonoscopies are appropriate if you have family history of colorectal cancer or symptoms of something wrong that may indicate colon cancer. I was 52 when I had my first colonoscopy - and was asymptomatic. But they found a rare cancer in my cecum stemming from my appendicial stub (ruptured when I was 8 and removed). Would they have found that cancer 5 years earlier? Very doubtful. Then I would have had a false sense of security. As for "looking for colon cancer" earlier, I agree, but not necessarily in having a colonoscopy. THey are very uncomfortable and have a risk associated (perforated colon). It's like having a body scan - very unnecessary and risky unless warranted. And - that's my opinon - from a stage IV terminal patient who has colon cancer that was found from a colonscopy. My daughter will have a colonoscopy in her mid-30's because of me. Before that - I don't think it would be necessary - and certainly not without our family history. Well - with virtual colonoscopies now, maybe that is something younger folks could do?
  • livin
    cp1264 said:

Hi Livin,
    You may be right, but my oncologist has stated, and I have read for myself, that there is no scientific data that proves diet has anything to do with colon cancer. Colonoscopies are appropriate if you have family history of colorectal cancer or symptoms of something wrong that may indicate colon cancer. I was 52 when I had my first colonoscopy - and was asymptomatic. But they found a rare cancer in my cecum stemming from my appendicial stub (ruptured when I was 8 and removed). Would they have found that cancer 5 years earlier? Very doubtful. Then I would have had a false sense of security. As for "looking for colon cancer" earlier, I agree, but not necessarily in having a colonoscopy. THey are very uncomfortable and have a risk associated (perforated colon). It's like having a body scan - very unnecessary and risky unless warranted. And - that's my opinon - from a stage IV terminal patient who has colon cancer that was found from a colonscopy. My daughter will have a colonoscopy in her mid-30's because of me. Before that - I don't think it would be necessary - and certainly not without our family history. Well - with virtual colonoscopies now, maybe that is something younger folks could do?

Hi cp1264, I understand what you meanbut I had no family history of Colon Cancer. I was told I could of had my Colon Cancer 10 years or more. Had a few stomach aches over the years that sent me to the hospital. Had ultra sounds was even given a shot of Demerol for these pains. Was dx as having a hiatal hernia,even thought I had a ulcer. I was told it was a large Cancer not servere like yours. Stage 3 I did have my appendix removed at time of Colectomy. But I had Breast Cancer that was in situ before the Colon Cancer was dx. That was 1999. The Colon Cancer was in 2001. I remember when I use to get the blood work CEA I thought then it would show if I had Cancer any more. Boy did I find out different after having it done every month after the Breast Cancer. CEA means not to much because I had Colon Cancer all the long, while I was getting checked for Breast Cancer. I still think they should start earlier then age 50. If they can start there and some one decided that age start, then they can start younger. No disrepect You seem to have accepted your dx well. Still trying to help others. GOD BLESS YOU. You are still here.
  • livin
    I read some information on Virtual Colonoscopy and they have there faults too. If the scan detects a polyp then the doctor has to resort to a scope exam to remove the polyp for microsopic examination for cancer changes. Virtual colonscopy is not as reliable at picking up small polps as a real Colonoscope. In other words they both have faults and you still have to have colon cleansing that the real colonoscopy requires.