Question

Options
mamou
mamou Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
When I had my Mastectomy I also had a hysterectomy, now half-way through chemo I'm having "Hot Flashes" that wake me several times during the night. My onc told my yesterday that they culd give me anti-depressants for this can't take hormones(ERpos.). Have any of ya'll heard of this, I'm skeptical about this type of drug. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Julie

Comments

• hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I've heard of it, can't remember which anti-depressant it was though. I've heard people say it worked while others no difference. Worth a try I think, also would look into natural or alternative therapy. You can find that on nih.gov, but before you try anything run it by doc first. Don't want something to interfere w/ other meds or stimulate hormone tumor sensitive cells. Only other suggestion is dress in layers, sleep w/ a fan on and keep a wet washcloth in some cool water by bed. Good luck. hummb
  • isaiah4031
    isaiah4031 Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Hi,
    I don't really have the answer for you. Just wanted to share. I had a hysterectomy when I was 29 (I'm 47 now) Was on HRT for a few years to combat the hot flashes and other symptoms. Had to quit cold turkey when I was diagnosed with bc. It got better, but we are still a "two temperature" household. My husband is always fetching either a fan for me, or a sweater. It's kind of weird. I am so skeptical of any meds that I can live without...but I have heard of some people using other meds to combat the symptoms of menopause. I hope you get relief from the hot flashes. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Love, Jayne
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options
    Hi! I didn't have a hysterectomy but because of the Tamoxifen, I have hot flashes and night sweats and have been having them for 2 1/2 years. There are 2 antidepressants they offer. Paxil and Effexor are the 2 I know of. I tried Paxil but had to stop as I had bad reaction to it. I didn't try Effexor as I figured I'd have trouble with that also. I did try Neurontin which is used for seizures and neuropathic problems and I got headaches from that so I decided I'm just destined to have the Hot Flashes. I do take Vit. E 800 IU's which helps some people. I'm still waiting. Good luck! Be careful with herbal supplements. Several have phytoestrogen properties which you don't want. Get an approval from your MD before taking anything. Keep in touch. Cathy
  • geral
    geral Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Hi!

Search on 'hot flashes'at the bottom of this page, and you'll find lots of info.

I hope you soon find relief.

Take care,
    Geral
  • banker
    banker Member Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am taking Effexor XR 150 mg once a day and 800 I.U. of vitamin E for the hotflashes. They are not completly gone but very tolerable. I also wear mostly natural fiber clothing (linen, Cotton), no acryllic or polyester. Seems to help also. Hope this helps.
    Emmi
  • kashey
    kashey Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Greetings, I am in a similar situtation. I take Sarafem for hot flashes and other symptoms. It seems to be working okay. Type in Sarafem on your search engine and read the info on their website. God Bless - Kashey
  • newbeginning
    newbeginning Member Posts: 13
    Options
    @, Prozac doing pretty well thus far...Linda