are there others like me?

Options
kacylyn
kacylyn Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
in June of 2002 i was diagnosed with with breast cancer. I was floored. i was twenty-seven years old and did not have a history of cancer in my family. i guess i would like to know if this is common and are tere more women in my age group?

Comments

• ranley
    ranley Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there...I was diagnosed last April..no cancer in my family at all either..I too was floored. I was 34. I had the lumpectomy, chemo and radiation...now I am done hopefully. How bout you?
  • isaiah4031
    isaiah4031 Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Hi,
    I was diagnosed in APril 2001. No family history and I am not a high risk for bc. Had a lumpectomy, radiation and chemo. I am older than you though...47. How are you doing?
    Jayne
  • isaiah4031
    isaiah4031 Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Hi,
    I was diagnosed in April 2001. No family history, no risk factors. Hmmm....? Anyway, I had a lumpectomy, radiation and then chemo. How are you doing?
    Jayne
  • wynona
    wynona Member Posts: 2
    Options
    In June 2002 at age 55 I was also diagnosed with breast cancer. There was no history anywhere in my family. Had the lumpectomy, mammosite radiation therapy, and thank God, no chemo was necessary. Six month check was okay.
  • dikaras
    dikaras Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Unfortunately there are others like you. I was diagnosed at 35. There is a website www.youngsurvival.org that is for women diagnosed with breast cancer under the age of 40. You can get a lot of support and information about issues related to young women dealing with breast cancer. Please go to the website and good luck to you.
    Diana
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list. June 2000, age 38, no family history, nonsmoker, breast fed both boys, under 40. Sounds like we're starting a trend here, eh?
    Good news is, YOU CAN SURVIVE! God bless. hummer
  • bobbiejo
    bobbiejo Member Posts: 23
    Options
    I was diagnosed at age 33 - no other history and a nonsmoker. I was floored as well. I go for my first check up this month. I finished radiation a couple of weeks ago. Email me if you wish to talk at bobbiejowhitaker@yahoo.com.
  • tee
    tee Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello my name is Tee I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2002, I was 32 years old, and I had my right breast removed. I was afraid and scared.
  • Deanna502
    Deanna502 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I was diagnosed with breast cancer in May of 2002. No history of it in my family either. Had a mastectomy and chemo, still going through radiation at this time. I am only 30 years old. I was 29 when I found the mass (size of a golf ball) and turned 30 the same month. Hope all is well.
  • kamehameha6470
    kamehameha6470 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi kacylyn:

Unfortunately, I am meeting a lot of young women with breast cancer. I was diagnosed at 31, just as I was weaning my third child. What a shocker, because they do tell you nursing reduces your risk, and here I'd nursed 3 children for more than a year per kid. And you never hear of young moms getting breast cancer in the news and such. I always thought the magic bullet that would get me was colon cancer since I had lost both a mom and a grandmother to it--no one told me there was a link until I was diagnosed.

Hang in there, and God bless.

Aloha,
    Sonja
  • magaul
    magaul Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Diagnosed in Jan.1990 at age 45 with no history in family. I was shocked. No lump but a microscopic spot found in mammo. Had mastectomy & during biopsy of breast another mico. spot of cancer was detected that was to small to show on mammo. Thankful I had my entire breast removed. No spread to nodes but had 6 months chemo as preventative measure. Have been cancer free for 13 yrs. It was a rough time but feel very fortunate. Hang in there & I wish you well.