I was recently diagnosed with a 1.7cm invasive ductal carcinoma tumor. I had an lumpectomy on 2/4. My surgeon thinks since it was a 3mm margin he recommends an additional surgery, but asked me to wait until I met with the Radiation Therapy to see if he agreed with him. My radiation doctor said he was okay with that margin. If it was 2 or less he would consider surgery. I just wonder if I should have had an mastectomy. I start chemo 2/21 and then will follow with radiation after 4 treatments of chemo. Should'nt chemo along with radiation take care of the concern of the margin? I am 46 years old. Also has anyone with the same as me been through this a long time and has had no recurrence?