Prices of Arimidex and Chlodronat in US?

Habemaul
Habemaul Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi there,
my name is Ulli, and I am living in Germany. I was diagnosed with BC in Summer 2001, several lymph nodes involved. After Chemo and radiation I am now on Tamoxifen. But from what I read regarding new studies, Arimidex seems superior for my situation, possibly combined with a biphosphonate such as Chlodronate. However, my insurance would not pay for such treatment since it is currently not the standard here, and with german prices it would be more than 700 Dollar a month for me if I pay myself which is hardly affordable. Would anyone now about prices of these drugs (Arimidex and chlodronate or equivalent) in the States? It seems more common there, so it may be cheaper.

Best regards and good luck to all,
Ulli

Comments

  • iris48
    iris48 Member Posts: 92
    Hi, Tamoxifen runs approx. $125.00 US Dollars for a months supply whereas Arimidex is $250 to 275.00 US Dollars for a months supply. I don't have the current cost for Chlodronate but my suggestion is to check Canada as there prices are better that U.S.
    Good Luck. Hugs, Iris
  • marytres
    marytres Member Posts: 144
    Hi Ulli, I live in Italy and our social medicine passes Arimidex to me without charge. Don't you have social medicine in Germany? Strange since I thought all of Europe did. Arimidex has less side effects and should be better in the long run. Let me know how it goes.
  • Habemaul
    Habemaul Member Posts: 5
    marytres said:

    Hi Ulli, I live in Italy and our social medicine passes Arimidex to me without charge. Don't you have social medicine in Germany? Strange since I thought all of Europe did. Arimidex has less side effects and should be better in the long run. Let me know how it goes.

    Hi Marytres, the insurance does not pay for Arimides but only for Tamoxifen which is still the current standard in Germany for the adjuvant Situation. They will only pay when there are mets. I think this may change due to the ongoing studies. Since when do you get Arimidex? Did you ever get Tamoxifen?
    All the best, Ulli
  • Habemaul
    Habemaul Member Posts: 5
    iris48 said:

    Hi, Tamoxifen runs approx. $125.00 US Dollars for a months supply whereas Arimidex is $250 to 275.00 US Dollars for a months supply. I don't have the current cost for Chlodronate but my suggestion is to check Canada as there prices are better that U.S.
    Good Luck. Hugs, Iris

    Hi Iris, thanks for letting me know. For Arimidex, it seems to be about the same as in our part of the world, unfortunately. Tam is much cheeper here, about 30 Dollars a month (thats why the insurance does not wont us to switch). I will try to check on Canada. Ciao and hugs, Ulli
  • marytres
    marytres Member Posts: 144
    Habemaul said:

    Hi Marytres, the insurance does not pay for Arimides but only for Tamoxifen which is still the current standard in Germany for the adjuvant Situation. They will only pay when there are mets. I think this may change due to the ongoing studies. Since when do you get Arimidex? Did you ever get Tamoxifen?
    All the best, Ulli

    Hi Ulli, I used to take Tamoxifen for 2 years then I asked the oncologist about this new drug and after taking some blood tests, he said I could use it and I'm glad since it has less side effects. I've been taking it since last March. Hugs, Marie want to e-mail me? [email protected]