implant longevity

Options
Becky20
Becky20 Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I've had silicone implants for 10 years, and am wondering what the normal "life span" is for implants. Anyone have experience with them deflating, or know about how long they should last? Thanks!

Comments

• ktinkey
    ktinkey Member Posts: 170
    Options
    Hi Becky,

I've had my silicone implants for 10 years also. My plastic surgeon said there is no expected lifetime. She has patients that have had for them twenty years and no problems. Depends on your body and the implant I guess. If you have no problems, then everything is fine. You should be getting regular check-ups from your plastic surgeon though. They are best at determining if any problems arise, etc.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,
    Kathy
  • Becky20
    Becky20 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    ktinkey said:

Hi Becky,

I've had my silicone implants for 10 years also. My plastic surgeon said there is no expected lifetime. She has patients that have had for them twenty years and no problems. Depends on your body and the implant I guess. If you have no problems, then everything is fine. You should be getting regular check-ups from your plastic surgeon though. They are best at determining if any problems arise, etc.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,
    Kathy

Hi Kathy,
    Thanks for your message. My insurance has changed and the plastic surgeon (who was wonderful) who did my implants is not a Kaiser doc---so, I've had mammograms and checkups, but no "inspection" by a plastic surgeon. Good to know you haven't had any problems,and that you don't know of a life span for implants.That's encouraging!
    Becky