Diagnosed one month ago

Options
Cinn
Cinn Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,

I've never been in any kind of discussion group, etc but I thought maybe it was time to start. I'm hoping this message works.

I had a cyst removed and a biopsy done at the same time. The results came back positve - I do have breast cancer. I was shocked as I suppose most people are. You never expect it to happen to you. I am 45 years old - have a husband who is being very supportive and 2 boys (10 & 12).

Anyway, the first surgery (biopsy) was more complicated and painful than I expected. I then had sentinal node testing and the second surgery to remove the tumor. I still have the drainage bag from that. Hopefully it will come out tomorrow. They removed a couple of nodes. One is positve for cancer and the cancer is up to the margins. My oncologist called Friday and said I still have a fairly large tumor. Bottom line - I'm having my breast removed on Wednesday. Not only that I am having both removed because I really feel the cancer will be in the second breast at some point. I don't want to go thru this again! I am considering reconstructive surgery but have not heard (read)of anyone that is happy with it. Just wondering what anyone thinks...

Sorry this is so long.
Thanks,
Cinn

Comments

• geral
    geral Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Hi Cinn!

Welcome to the group! I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I had a lumpectomy not mastectomy, so I can't give you firsthand info on mastectomy. I can definitely understand your consideration of a double mastectomy because I am constantly concerned about recurrence.

I had my surgery 2.5 years ago and still suffer with chronic pain. I'm not saying this to scare you because the majority of women who've had breast surgery do not experience the pain I've had. The reason I'm mentioning pain(as if you don't already have enough to worry about now)is I encourage you to read a couple of articles I posted in the Expressions Gallery re:Post Mastectomy Pain Syndrome (PMPS). There are things that your surgeon can do during surgery to hopefully prevent unneccessary pain. Please take the time to read these articles and discuss some of your findings with your surgeon. (Don't expect to understand everything in these articles because I still don't! But I think you'll get enough out of them to help you.)

To get there... click on 'Resource Library' on lefthand side of this page. Click on 'Article' and 'find one'. You'll see the 2 articles with 'geral' beside them.

I wish I had had access to the internet and to the ACS website when I was diagnosed! You've come to the right place. We are here to support you through your cancer jouney.

Take care...
    Geral
  • geral
    Options
    geral said:

Hi Cinn!

I had a lumpectomy not mastectomy, so I can't give you firsthand info on mastectomy. I can definitely understand your consideration of a double mastectomy because I am constantly concerned about recurrence.

I had my surgery 2.5 years ago and still suffer with chronic pain. I'm not saying this to scare you because the majority of women who've had breast surgery do not experience the pain I've had. The reason I'm mentioning pain(as if you don't already have enough to worry about now)is I encourage you to read a couple of articles I posted in the Expressions Gallery re:Post Mastectomy Pain Syndrome (PMPS). There are things that your surgeon can do during surgery to hopefully prevent unneccessary pain. Please take the time to read these articles and discuss some of your findings with your surgeon. (Don't expect to understand everything in these articles because I still don't! But I think you'll get enough out of them to help you.)

To get there... click on 'Resource Library' on lefthand side of this page. Click on 'Article' and 'find one'. You'll see the 2 articles with 'geral' beside them.

I wish I had had access to the internet and to the ACS website when I was diagnosed! You've come to the right place. We are here to support you through your cancer jouney.

Take care...
    Geral

I meant 'Resource Library' NOT 'Expressions Gallery'.

-Geral
  • geral
    Options
    geral said:

I meant 'Resource Library' NOT 'Expressions Gallery'.

-Geral

Hi again!

I think you'll find alot of useful info by going to the bottom of this page under 'Search Discussion Groups', enter 'reconstructive surgery' as the keyword.

-Geral
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Hi Cinn, sorry about the diagnosis, but welcome to the site. You'll find lots of loving, caring women here, and someone who's been thru exactly what you are experiencing.
    We have web pages if you want to get some history on us, and when you feel like it build your own.
    Best advice, rely on God to get you through this, and pray. Stay positive and know that not everything turns out wrong.
    Investigate, ask ?'s at Breast Support Group, friends, even some cities have agency's that find MDs who would be the best surgeon for what you need. The info is out there, you just gotta know to ask and who to ask.
    Docs have reputations and people are willing to talk. My surgeon removed a 4 cm lump from my right breast and 27 lymph nodes 13+ back in 6/00. I told him before surgery I was worried about cosmetics and heard Redfield did a better job! (didn't even expect cancer then, just thought it was a cyst). Anyway, I guess that challenged him cause YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE THE SCAR!
    Later he took a 2 mm spot out of left breast, cosmetically speaking he did better on right side. Go figure that one. LOL
    God bless you girl, prayers are w/ you. hummingbyrd.
  • koenig
    koenig Member Posts: 6
    Options
    geral said:

Hi Cinn!

Take care...
    Geral

cin. My heart goes out to you. You have already been given good information and much better than I know. That Hummingbird is fabulous with what she knows. I also decided for double masectomy, let's not ever have to deal with breast cancer again. Be strong and keep in touch. Pam
  • Cinn
    Options
    geral said:

Hi again!

I think you'll find alot of useful info by going to the bottom of this page under 'Search Discussion Groups', enter 'reconstructive surgery' as the keyword.

-Geral

Hi Geral:

Thanks for the info - I'll take a look!

Cinn
  • Cinn
    Options
    koenig said:

cin. My heart goes out to you. You have already been given good information and much better than I know. That Hummingbird is fabulous with what she knows. I also decided for double masectomy, let's not ever have to deal with breast cancer again. Be strong and keep in touch. Pam

Hi Pam:

My oncologist said lots of women are opting for the double mastectomy now. My aunt had this done about 10 years ago and she's doing great.

Cinn
  • Cinn
    Options

Hi Cinn, sorry about the diagnosis, but welcome to the site. You'll find lots of loving, caring women here, and someone who's been thru exactly what you are experiencing.
    We have web pages if you want to get some history on us, and when you feel like it build your own.
    Best advice, rely on God to get you through this, and pray. Stay positive and know that not everything turns out wrong.
    Investigate, ask ?'s at Breast Support Group, friends, even some cities have agency's that find MDs who would be the best surgeon for what you need. The info is out there, you just gotta know to ask and who to ask.
    Docs have reputations and people are willing to talk. My surgeon removed a 4 cm lump from my right breast and 27 lymph nodes 13+ back in 6/00. I told him before surgery I was worried about cosmetics and heard Redfield did a better job! (didn't even expect cancer then, just thought it was a cyst). Anyway, I guess that challenged him cause YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE THE SCAR!
    Later he took a 2 mm spot out of left breast, cosmetically speaking he did better on right side. Go figure that one. LOL
    God bless you girl, prayers are w/ you. hummingbyrd.

Thanks Hummingbyrd:

I'll do lots of research. My surgeon's sister had a double mastectomy. I'll ask him this afternoon if she had reconstructive surgery and if she did find out who did it. You would think a brother would find the best surgeon...

Cinn
  • newjersey25
    newjersey25 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    hello, sorry to hear about your news. I am 25 and I found out I have breast cancer 5 months ago. I am also going to have both breasts removed because I am worried about the same thing you are. I have had chemo 6 times so far only two more to go. They started me with 4 AC treatments and now they are treating me with taxotere. The AC treatments are bad. I could hardly get out of bed, but you do get through it. The taxotere is much easier. The only problems I have are.. back pain, weight gain, and I get tired faster than I used to. I am getting reconstruction I am going to go to Fox Chase Cancer Center. The doctors are very good there and they have a good reputation. I don't suggest going to small hospital. Do alot of research before choosing a surgeon. Make sure you get as many oppinions as you want. Don't settle. Also get a few oppinions about your chemo treatment. Make sure the doctors all suggest the same way to treat you. You may find that some doctors will treat you with a different type chemo. So make sure you get a few oppinions!! Hang in there I know this is a very hard time for you. You can email me if you ever want to chat with someone who has been there. fawnkomink@aol.com
  • bullfrog13
    bullfrog13 Member Posts: 213
    Options
    I guess by the time you get this, you will have already gotton home form your surgery, I am sorry for the road that you have been forced onto but do know that in time you can get off-battle scared and tired..but you do get off..Hugs and God Bless.. jerilynfrog13@yahoo.com
  • martyzl
    martyzl Member Posts: 196
    Options
    Hello Cinn! Sorry that you've joined our ranks but so glad that you've found us!

I have a TRAMflap on my right side. So far, so good... surgery was at the same time as the mastectomy so I could get it all out of the way at the same time. Recovery was tough from that, being incapacitated but now I am pleased with the new "boob", my daughters named her "Babette". I am getting back to normal, one week out of Epirubicin, Cytoxan and 5FU for Her2neu + cancer. Ick. Please be sure to cruise thru' this site's member pages under all variations of words (ie: TramFlap/TRAMFlap/Tram Flap, etc.), implants and all. We all have different experiences and YES... research the heck out of your options and your surgeons!! I am due to be back under the knife this spring to fine tune Babette and eventually construct a nipple (the lack of which doesn't bother me in the slightest except when it's cold!! A tad uneven...) If I can answer any questions about my experiences, etc., please feel free to contact me at zenhound@cac.net

Take care, be patient and believe in yourself. You'll thrive and do beautifully! *hugs*

Marty in Michigan