Radiation

digipix
digipix Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was told that radiation has no long term serious side effects.However,I feel my immune system has weakened and my over all health has never been the same.A dear friend of mine died of non hodgkins and she said dont believe it.There is a valid reason why no one else but yourself is exposed.Is it just old age or does the radiation cause long term damage?

Comments

• sevey
    sevey Member Posts: 184
    Dear Digipix,
    I can only share my personal experience and I normally never give out medical advice. However I will share what I found out when I was on radiation. In 1989-90 I had radiation to kill off what what was left of my own immune system and a bone marrow transplant.
    I had some very irritating side affects and I too felt very sick and other things such as rashes, and a burning sensation that stayed with me for a while after the intense course.....
    I got better, and went into remission for several years after that, but I was told I could never have radiation as a option again. I've not experienced no long term side affects. However I do remember how awfull I felt during those very difficult times. The reason why I can never have radiation as a option is because you can only tolorate so much in one life.
    Sometimes the cure seems and is just as dibilitating as the desease. However it worked. Just hang in there and understand you will come through in the long run. I am not qualified to advise you of anything else as I am not a onco....
    There are other meds that are even more invasive than radition, believe that!
    Anyway I will pray for you and I hope you will get through this quickly and feel batter. If you want to email me I'm at nativeind@hotmail.com You be blessed
    Sincerely Cathy
  • sevey
    sevey Member Posts: 184
    Dear Digipix,
    I can only share my personal experience and I normally never give out medical advice. However I will share what I found out when I was on radiation. In 1989-90 I had radiation to kill off what what was left of my own immune system and a bone marrow transplant.
    I had some very irritating side affects and I too felt very sick and other things such as rashes, and a burning sensation that stayed with me for a while after the intense course.....
    I got better, and went into remission for several years after that, but I was told I could never have radiation as a option again. I've not experienced no long term side affects. However I do remember how awfull I felt during those very difficult times. The reason why I can never have radiation as a option is because you can only tolorate so much in one life.
    Sometimes the cure seems and is just as dibilitating as the desease. However it worked. Just hang in there and understand you will come through in the long run. I am not qualified to advise you of anything else as I am not a onco....
    There are other meds that are even more invasive than radition, believe that!
    Anyway I will pray for you and I hope you will get through this quickly and feel batter. If you want to email me I'm at nativeind@hotmail.com You be blessed
    Sincerely Cathy
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    Overexposure to anything will cause problems. We are actually fortunate to be living in the computer age as the actual amount of radiation we receive is decreased than in previous years because the computers are so much more accurate.
    They use computers to determine the direction to shoot so it misses as much normal tissue as possible, and they configure the amount of radiation exposure needed to penetrate the tumor adaquately. Now, I have read articles recently about studies showing BC patients need fewer treatments than previously thought, but that still may be under study.
    I used to give my rad tech a hard time about setting me up in the dark with that little red beam of light, then turning on the light and running out the door to turn on the machine. I asked, "IF this radiation is not so harmful why do ya'll run like cockroaches when you turn the lights on?" LOL!!!
    The answer is they treat 20-30 patients a day, 5 days a week.
    We only take a total of about 30 treatments, so overall they would end up getting a lot more exposure.
    If you have questions write them down and ask your MD. I wanted to know how they were going to shoot my breast and not burn up my lung, and how it was possible to treat a 300# woman and a 100# woman the same? They explained everything to me. It took a little time, and sometimes I think they were a little frustrated, but hey its my bod, ya know. Besides that, glowing in the dark comes in handy at night! (JUST TEASING) I've had 33 treatments to EACH breast, 11 to my arm and 14 to my back. Fortunatly, I've not had any side effects. I told them they can just "spot weld" me as I need it.
    Talk to your onc, your overall feeling of weakness may be related to any # of new meds you're on, or even your mental attitude. Chemo is hard on us too! I don't know when you were diagnosed or what you've been through so far, but this is a battle and that will zap your strength!
    I go to the Lord for a recharge! Hope this helps, God bless, hummb
  • nasa2537
    nasa2537 Member Posts: 311
    Hi...I have been done with radiation for a little over a year, but have had no problems. The leathery feel of the breast is back to normal. The shooting pains are gone. The onc told me there are definite fibrocystic changes in the breast...the radiation changes the fibrocystic tissue, so that breast (on me, anyway) is much less fibrocystic. But, I haven't noticed anything bad yet. Best wishes to you. God bless, Cyndi