Chemo 1 Down, 3 to Go!! How about Acupincture??

Options
mjtarantino
mjtarantino Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi -
I had my first treatment of AC yesterday. It went fine. The anticipation of the whole thing made me nervous. I felt a little queasy last night and threw up a little, but that was because I was drinking a lot water which, believe it or not, gave me heartburn. I also ate saltines. I was fine after I got that out of my system. I had taken my meds earlier and didn't lose those, but the doc told me to call her if I started vomiting. She told me to melt an Ativan under my tongue. That did the trick. I felt fine - queasiness went away and I got a good night sleep out of it!
Someone who had been through chemo before suggested accupuncture prior to my next treatment. She said it really helped. Anyone else out there tried it? I feel ok today - not 100%, but not bad at all.
Please anyone out there who has tried the acupuncture give me some feedback! I am interested in hearing about it.
Thanks,
Maureen

Comments

• llange
    llange Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Hi Maureen,
    I had 4 treatments of AC starting last January, and the night of my first treatment I threw up for 12 hours straight, and felt pretty sick for 3 or 4 days after that. I heard about acupuncture to relieve nausea, so the morning of my next treatment I had acupuncture done (my treatments were in the afternoon), and I did much better. I continued having acupuncture throughout my AC treatments, and by the 4th one I didn't throw up at all and I was eating the next day (a huge improvement). After my AC was finished I still would get treatments every so often to boost my energy level, and it also helped a lot if I was feeling anxious. I finished all my treatments in Aug and I continued with acupuncture for a month or so to help the energy level. I would highly recommend it if you can find a good practitioner. I became totally convinced when I went in for a treatment one day after I had had no appetite for a few days and was feeling very anxious, and after I was laying on the table for about 20 minutes with the needles in, I became famished, and I went home and ate like a pig! It really settled my nerves and stomach!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Lisa
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Hi Maureen:

I never had the acupuncture so can't help there. If it works, definitely use it!

Just wanted to wish you well and tell you how happy I am that your first treatment went well. You may do even better next treatment as you won't have that same level of anxiety/anticipation to deal with. ROUND ONE DOWN!!! Good going!

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Maureen I tried accupuncture after chemo to quit smoking since I had tried many times before and not a heavy smoker. I had just been smoking off and on since I was a very young little girl. So that was it I lived through the chemo so now had to do something for myself to help myself so new smoking had to go. I was at a point that I felt it killing me with ever drag. So someone said I should do accupunk three little pokes in the ear. Well I had to go find the guy who had been doing it the longest and had to be an MD too, my choice. I found a man who had been practicing for 40 years at the time and had even worked for NASA in the 70's. HE had to be good. Well it was the worst experience in my life. I had been honest about my ordeals with cancer and found it to be a little like chineese torture. I am very sensative anyways but... I was infected at each needle wound. I quit smoking but swear it is due to pain association with the accupunture. It was nothing I had felt ever and I had already had a mastectomy that was very painful for me. I have allot of nerve involvement so not a good thing. Not everyone has this affect but I was looking for a nice calm little prick thing not needles and being hooked up to electrodes. I still say it was worth it since I gave up that terrible habit. I still see some good in the cancer ordeal too, as much as good there is bad is all.
    Be good to yourself,
    Tara
  • nh49erfan
    nh49erfan Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Chemo and acupuncture
    Maureen,

I'm scheduled to begin chemo (TC) in about two weeks. I've been looking for an acupuncturist in NH as I've heard that the acupuncture works really really well to mitigate side effects of nausea and pain. My mother has a friend who received treatments the day before chemo and had virtually no side effects. Even my oncologist said that acupuncture is the complimentary therapy that seems to work the best in dealing with side effects. Good luck with treatment.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    nh49erfan said:

Chemo and acupuncture
    Maureen,

I'm scheduled to begin chemo (TC) in about two weeks. I've been looking for an acupuncturist in NH as I've heard that the acupuncture works really really well to mitigate side effects of nausea and pain. My mother has a friend who received treatments the day before chemo and had virtually no side effects. Even my oncologist said that acupuncture is the complimentary therapy that seems to work the best in dealing with side effects. Good luck with treatment.

Hello, NH49erfan,
    I'm not sure Maureen will respond. If you'll notice, she posted about acupuncture in 2002! I hope she's doing well as a 7-year survivor today!

I would say to go for the acupuncture. I've heard it can have very good results for nausea, pain and other chemo side effects. I wish I had done it while going through treatment. You might want to ask your onc. if she recommends anyone. Acupuncture is practically mainstream medicine these days and doctors even have referrals. Good luck with treatment, and keep posting!

Mimi
  • BunnyJane
    BunnyJane Member Posts: 213
    Options
    mimivac said:

Hello, NH49erfan,
    I'm not sure Maureen will respond. If you'll notice, she posted about acupuncture in 2002! I hope she's doing well as a 7-year survivor today!

I would say to go for the acupuncture. I've heard it can have very good results for nausea, pain and other chemo side effects. I wish I had done it while going through treatment. You might want to ask your onc. if she recommends anyone. Acupuncture is practically mainstream medicine these days and doctors even have referrals. Good luck with treatment, and keep posting!

Mimi

Accupuncture
    I am half way through TC treatments (every three weeks) and a friend (who just completed chemo for ovarian ca) recommended accupucture. She indicated that the accupunture treatments helped her manage pain, focus on healing, and rid herself of negative thoughts. I talked to my onc. about it and she said that I could have accupunture on my 'good' week (week before treatments), but not during the two weeks following treatments, due to infection risk. I also practice yoga, another complementary therapy. I have an accupuncture appt. in a few weeks and will let you all know how it goes. Namaste- Jane
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    BunnyJane said:

Accupuncture
    I am half way through TC treatments (every three weeks) and a friend (who just completed chemo for ovarian ca) recommended accupucture. She indicated that the accupunture treatments helped her manage pain, focus on healing, and rid herself of negative thoughts. I talked to my onc. about it and she said that I could have accupunture on my 'good' week (week before treatments), but not during the two weeks following treatments, due to infection risk. I also practice yoga, another complementary therapy. I have an accupuncture appt. in a few weeks and will let you all know how it goes. Namaste- Jane

The main thing about
    The main thing about acupuncture is just be sure and check with your oncologist before you would do it. It is best to get their ok.

Leeza