surgery difficulty/ease

ahlers3
ahlers3 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I found interesting a remark my urologist made while he was removing my 24 surgical staples (October, 2002). I had asked him if the staples were put in using something like an ordinary staple gun. That prompted him to remark that yes, it was like a staple gun, and that there had been considerable progress in doing a radical prostatectomy in the past 10 years. The sense of his remark was that what had been a difficult operation 10 years ago was now much easier. In all the reading I did about this surgery, I had not read anything that was equivalent to what my urologist had remarked--rather casually. Has anyone else heard or read something similar?

Comments

• rogermoore
    rogermoore Member Posts: 264 Member
    Ahlers,

I have not heard such a comment myself. However, in my case there was very little pain involved, and the results from the surgery have been very gratifying. I do think the "nerve-sparing" aspect of the surgery is relatively recent, perhaps within the last ten years. This aspect of the surgery technique, to me is an EXTREMELY important improvement. It sounds like you are recovering well. I hope you continue to improve and are able to return to all your pre surgery activities soon. If you ever need to talk or ask questions please don't hesitate to e-mail me.

Roger
  • warren612
    warren612 Member Posts: 22
    I did not have staples. Just surgical tape. My incision was only 3 1/2" long. No pain. Went home the next day. I am not sure how long nerve sparing surgery has been around, but maybe 10 years. Every year the procedures get better in all surgeries. The key is your surgeon. I had one of the best at Brigham and Womens in Boston.
  • billbulldog13
    billbulldog13 Member Posts: 1
    warren612 said:

I did not have staples. Just surgical tape. My incision was only 3 1/2" long. No pain. Went home the next day. I am not sure how long nerve sparing surgery has been around, but maybe 10 years. Every year the procedures get better in all surgeries. The key is your surgeon. I had one of the best at Brigham and Womens in Boston.

The nerve sparing technique was developed by Dr. Patrick Walsh at Johns Hopkins in 1982.