Tamoxifen

Options
kim43
kim43 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I need to know if any of you out there are going through what I am. I am on tamoxifen and my back hurts me all the time. There isn't much I can do without it hurting. I believe the tamox is causing it. I have gained about 25-30 pounds on it also. I could be hungry all the time. My husband can't believe how much I eat. I try not to but I stay hungry all the time.Does anyone know what we can do to lose the weight? I can't take anything with estrogen in it. I have had a double recontruction and a tram flap at the same time. So I don't have stomach muscles to exercise with. I have had breast cancer twice,once in each side. A year apart.Tamoxifen is the only answer for me now. If you have suggestions I am for them. thanks.

Comments

• bebe1976
    bebe1976 Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Dear Kim,
    Have you thought about that the combo of gaining weight and not having abdominal muscles to support your back can be responsible for your back pain? It seems to me that's it. As far as the weight gain, what I have done to calm my cravings with Tamoxifen, I eat very small amounts of food every two hours. Nothing with too much fat or sugar, this boosts your metabolism and if you excersice 20 a day, 3 days a week it will do the trick. Also, try having a lot of water to make you feel full and prevent you from eating a lot. Meal replacement shakes are also an option as a morning meal or afternoon snack. Hope it helps.
    Love,
    Jenn
  • jmears
    jmears Member Posts: 266
    Options
    Kim I'm right there with you! I am always grazing in the kitchen and I have gained 30+ lbs. My back hurts when I'm in bed for very long. I know I don't exercise like I should but it's so hard to motivate. I've asked my Drs and everyone ... about the weight ... eat less and exercise more. My sting bean Oncologist suggested I "run" ... I just about laughed myself silly!!! But ... I do walk some but controlling my eating is very hard. Some things I have read is that low metabolism (that's what we have) responds better to a low carb diet ... but cancer diets suggest low fat so be careful of lots of red meat and cheese (like I crave ... not to mention chips ... candy ... ice cream). So ... I have no answer for you ... but I have a lot of sympathy cause I am in the same boat!!! Good Luck! Jamie
  • stefaniek
    stefaniek Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I am there with you too! I have gained 40 lbs on tamoxifen since Feb-02. I am in chronic pain in my back, my feet, my hands and hips. I am 32 - was diagnosed last year andt had a mas w. immediate reconstruction & tram flap. I had a full hysterectomy this summer. I have been on tamoxifen since my chemo has been over. This is the first time I have logged on - and I was searching to see if anyone else was expereincing the same acute pain. I wanted to share with you that I asked my oncologist for a script for Physcial Therapy. I started just yesterday - but am on a schedule 3xs a week for 8 weeks in hot water aquatic therapy, after I regain my strength we will move to "land" and the PT will work with me on a training program to get back into shape. I am so excited because yesterday after my frist heat therapy treatment I actually was pain free for about an hour!!! I hope this helps you. God bless
  • blackbandana
    blackbandana Member Posts: 64
    Options
    OMG Kim I can't beleive you posted this message. I've had terrible back pain since before my BC and treatments and since then I've found it was getting worse, a lot worse. Anyway, I decided to stop taking the tamoxifen for a week to see if there is any inprovement in my back (only stopped last week)... three days later the pain was gone. I also put on A LOT of weight, found myself eating all day long, well I'm back to my three meals a day and can already see that I'm not as bloated as I was. I've an appt with my onco next week to see if she will put me on something else, if not, I'm going to take my chances and just not take the tamoxifen, I can't deal with this constant pain and it controlling my life. Take care.
  • iris48
    iris48 Member Posts: 92
    Options
    stefaniek said:

I am there with you too! I have gained 40 lbs on tamoxifen since Feb-02. I am in chronic pain in my back, my feet, my hands and hips. I am 32 - was diagnosed last year andt had a mas w. immediate reconstruction & tram flap. I had a full hysterectomy this summer. I have been on tamoxifen since my chemo has been over. This is the first time I have logged on - and I was searching to see if anyone else was expereincing the same acute pain. I wanted to share with you that I asked my oncologist for a script for Physcial Therapy. I started just yesterday - but am on a schedule 3xs a week for 8 weeks in hot water aquatic therapy, after I regain my strength we will move to "land" and the PT will work with me on a training program to get back into shape. I am so excited because yesterday after my frist heat therapy treatment I actually was pain free for about an hour!!! I hope this helps you. God bless

Hi,
    I too gained a lot of weight between surgeries and chemo and tamoxifen. The lifestyle plan that has worked for me is Atkins. I read the book cover to cover and really learned how to do the 4 level program and have lost 32 lbs and am looking to do another 30. You must choose to do it fully or it won't work. I've also known the omega 3 oils, ie. Evening Primrose, Borage Oil, Carlsons Lemon Cod Fish oil all are naturally anti-inflammatory and the recommended oil for the body. The vitamin E natural one again helps even with the hot flashed. I take Bellaspar for the extreme hot flashes and night sweats. Back to the diet -The induction is strict, but again I learned how and make very attractive looking meals easily. The breakfasts could be western omlets with a dollop of sour cream or guacamole, cucumber slices, celery sticks, an olive or two. Lunch could be chicken salad or salmon, egg salad, stringbeans, or asparagus, and 2 pkts of knox unflavored jello made with 1/2 cup splenda and the unsweetened cool aid packets for flavor or the juice 2-3 tbl of lemon juice. Use one cup of room temp water and sprinkle jello to dissolve, then other ingredients, then add the 1 cup hot water, stir till all dissolved, refrigerate. Slice into cubes to have a pick upable treat any time. Here's the website: www.atkinscenter.com. All the recipes and journaling are available. Good luck.
    Hugs, Iris
  • harleysangel
    harleysangel Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Wow I find out something new on here all the time!! I have went from a size 5 to a size 12 and my back hurts all the time I am always sitting with a heating pad on my back and I had no idea it could be the tamoxifen.
    As far as the stomach muscles have you tried yoga? It is less stressful on your body may take longer to loose weight but it does help I was doing it before my reconst. surgery and It made me feel so much better in mind and body.
    Good luck to us all
    love Sher
  • ksfc
    ksfc Member Posts: 251
    Options
    You all are depressing me - LOL! I'm a plus size to start with, and I've only been on Tamoxifen since September, but I'm already
    gaining. I was really beating myself up about how much junk I'm eating. Are you all saying that you actually crave more food, vs. just gaining weight without eating more?
    Also, I've noticed a lot more joint aches, not necessarily back pain, but knees, shoulder, neck, and wondered if the tamoxifen was making things worse. I'm interested in what Jenn does - can you explain more about eating every 2 hours - what you eat, etc. - maybe that would help me. I have started riding my exercise bike again, but it will be awhile until I can do the 20-30 minutes a day. I so appreciate the help and support I get on this board. Diane
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Did they remove your stomach muscles. One could say they can't exercise because of the muscles being affected after mastectomies. I truly thought I would have problems but have found nothing helps weight loss except doing more and eating less. I quit smoking after my chemo and seemed to gain all the weight through my treatments. 5 years later I finally realized that physical fitness is what is going to enable me to carry around my weiry body. I can do everything I did before just not as strong now. I am in better shape than I have been in since being dx'ed six years ago. I would not be able to cope so well with all my problems if I hadn't got myself in better shape. It has really made all the difference in my world and encourage everyone to fight to get the control of their bodies back. I am able to get back to work and this thing called living after battling many side affects from all my treatments. I work out 1 hour 5 times a week and finally have some quality back in my life.
    Being Good To Ourselves is important,
    Tara
    we just can't afford not to be.
  • kick-ca-ass
    kick-ca-ass Member Posts: 10
    Options
    tamoxifen
    OMG I just started tamoxifen and you all scare me with the weight gain of 30+ pounds. I noticed I'm always eating but I've always been a fan of South Beach so I naturally eat often but I make healthy choices. But I have noticed a craving for boxed mac and cheese mmmm. I haven't ate that since high school. The hot flashes were really drive me crazy but not as much since I incorporated flax seed in my diet. I put it in yogurt, oatmeal, on salads, or just a spoon full every once in awhile. I just love the stuff but not the oil that's nasty. Love the nutritional tips, thanks for the posting.
  • Mesa2009
    Mesa2009 Member Posts: 10
    Options

tamoxifen
    OMG I just started tamoxifen and you all scare me with the weight gain of 30+ pounds. I noticed I'm always eating but I've always been a fan of South Beach so I naturally eat often but I make healthy choices. But I have noticed a craving for boxed mac and cheese mmmm. I haven't ate that since high school. The hot flashes were really drive me crazy but not as much since I incorporated flax seed in my diet. I put it in yogurt, oatmeal, on salads, or just a spoon full every once in awhile. I just love the stuff but not the oil that's nasty. Love the nutritional tips, thanks for the posting.

I just started 2
    I read the entries also and WOW - 30+lbs. I have trying to exercise and eat right since my dx and I have been doing good. I have not had major side effects other than some leg pain. I started five days ago and kind'a waiting for that side effect whatever it may be! What about you when did you start? Are you experiencing pain?

I pray every time I take this pill that this pill do what it is intented to do and kick some **** and that my body takes it.

Well good luck!
  • Myshell
    Myshell Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Mesa2009 said:

I just started 2
    I read the entries also and WOW - 30+lbs. I have trying to exercise and eat right since my dx and I have been doing good. I have not had major side effects other than some leg pain. I started five days ago and kind'a waiting for that side effect whatever it may be! What about you when did you start? Are you experiencing pain?

I pray every time I take this pill that this pill do what it is intented to do and kick some **** and that my body takes it.

Well good luck!

wow
    Had excisional biopsy of 2 areas on Friday. waiting for results. but already know I will start tamoxifen soon...before my surgery I went on sounth beach for 2.5 weeks and lost 10 lbs. We have numberous people bring high calorie meals to us in the last few days including desserts. I've let my self indulge over the weekend but this thread is motivating me to get back to it. I have not had a life where i ever felt in control of my weight or what goes in my mouth. but now I'm getting that this is the one area of my health that i really can contribute in a positive way. I'm just talking to myself now...Thank you so much. I'm not anxious to take tamoxifen..but I want to do all I can to live and hold grandbabies...for a LONG time!!!
    The common thread of back pain and other random pain is disconcerting..I'm really sorry that the pain is a part of it for you guys..that just makes everything so much harder.
    keep us posted