Bone Scan

jbeardslee
jbeardslee Member Posts: 75
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hope this finds everyone doing well and having a good fall. To recap, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer a little over one year ago. The doctor has scheduled a bone scan for Friday. I always get nervous and anxious whenever I have a test date set. I know that I will have an injection and wait 3 hours before the actual scan starts. Other than that, I didn't get much info. what do I expect exactly? I don't need to have a driver along, do I? Do I wear a hospial gown for this or is it like a MRI and I need to wear something without snaps and zippers?
Thanks everyone.
Take care, Judy

Comments

• ktinkey
    ktinkey Member Posts: 170
    HI Judy,

The bone scan is a piece of cake. You don't have to change clothes. Usually I have to remove my belt because of the buckle and matbe my necklace, but that is it. You lie down on the table and the machine moves slowly (and I mean slowly) over you. I close my eyes and just relax. You can drive yourself no problem. After the injection they usually tell you to drinks lots of fluids, so I take a bottle of water with me. At my hospital they always make me wait until the radiologist looks at the pictures before they let me go. That can be nerve racking, because sometimes it takes up to 15 min to a half hour, but it is just routine. Don't let your mind run away with you. Good luck and wishing you well.

God Bless,
    Kathy
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    ktinkey said:

HI Judy,

The bone scan is a piece of cake. You don't have to change clothes. Usually I have to remove my belt because of the buckle and matbe my necklace, but that is it. You lie down on the table and the machine moves slowly (and I mean slowly) over you. I close my eyes and just relax. You can drive yourself no problem. After the injection they usually tell you to drinks lots of fluids, so I take a bottle of water with me. At my hospital they always make me wait until the radiologist looks at the pictures before they let me go. That can be nerve racking, because sometimes it takes up to 15 min to a half hour, but it is just routine. Don't let your mind run away with you. Good luck and wishing you well.

God Bless,
    Kathy

Hey Judy, Kathy's right about the bone scan. I always go to sleep during mine. They do make you take off all jewelry or metal and then you lay down on a table, prop your knees up on a pillow and at my hospital they velcro you on (strap across the waist and the legs so you don't move) they also put a non stick tape across your forehead that messes up your hair (if you're lucky enough to have any), but hey who worries about that at this point! Tell them if you have any bone pain, even like a chronic muscle strain, cause that's how my bone mets showed up. I'm sure you'll be fine. After my inj I always go eat then come back for the scan, so take a friend if you can. Make it a 'girl thing' (or a guy, that can be fun too). Best advice I can give is as always keep your focus on God and take one day at a time. No need to have to go to the psych ward after oncology! Your in my prayers, TByrd Conquering Cancer Through Christ.
  • shirlann
    shirlann Member Posts: 229
    It is nothing at all. I wore my regular clothes and just sat in the dining room, ate a donut, and read the 3 hours and then the scan was, lay down, get up. Nothing. Do not worry at all. Piece of cake. Hugs, Shirlann
  • nasa2537
    nasa2537 Member Posts: 311
    Hi Judy....when I had mine, I went in for a very small injection, and since I was only 6 miles from the hospital, I went home. They had me drink lots of water. When I went back, they had me put on a robe, and then you get to lay on this table that is literally JUST wide enough for your buns. They velcroed this strap around me to keep my arms at my sides (or they would have fallen off the table!!). Then, the machine very slowly scans your body. After it's done, you sit and wait a couple minutes so they can have a radiologist look at it to make sure it's clear enough, and then you go home. Nothing to it!! Best wishes! Cyndi
  • doris36
    doris36 Member Posts: 16
    Hi Judy!
    Hope you're feeling well. I, too, was very nervous for my bone scan, but it was a very simple porceedure. You can go have lunch or shop after your injection ( I brought my Mom with me & went to a nearby mall) Then you lie on a table fully clothed while a machine very slowly takes a "picture" of your whole body. When I had mine, it started at my head and moved toward my feet. While it's over your head it's a little weird so I just kept my eyes closed. It does take a wjile, I'd say about a half hour. Try to relax (although I know this is hard) they'll turn the lights off & play music. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine! Doris
  • geral
    geral Member Posts: 130
    Hi Judy! I just have one thing to add to all of the good replies you've rec'd... I'm very claustrophobic when my head/face is in a machine, so I asked the tech to talk to me while doing the scan. I had a full-body scan from toe to head, so when the machine which is shaped like a donut was approaching my head, the tech would tell me to close my eyes, let me know how many minutes it would be before I should open them, and then tell me after the machine was away from my head. With his help, I came through it fine. I hope you get great results! Take care, Geral