Update & My Latest Hot Flash/ Night Sweat Solution

kat02
kat02 Member Posts: 76
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,

I hope that you are all having a GREAT weekend. Things are progressing very slowly here. On Thursday it became impossible to drink anything. The smallest amount caused excrutiating fist like spasms in my chest. I called the nurse and she returned my call on Friday telling me that I could start taking reglan/metoclopramide again and to let them know if it didn't help. It has helped a little. I was able to consume 22 ounces yesterday. However, today it is a little more difficult, but I have consumed 12 ounces so far. Please keep me in your prayers that I am able to consume more liquids. This would be a great weight loss plan, but I really can't afford to lose more weight.

Now my latest hot flash / night sweat solution. . . a year ago my husband came up with the idea that I sleep on towels at night. I scowled at the idea, but once I tried it I found that it helped significantly with at least helping me to dry off and not freeze as much after the sweat. However it didn't really help during the day. While I was in the hospital last night I was extremely nauseated after the surgeries. One of the nurses gave me a damp cold washcloth. It didn't do much for my nausea, but it really helped to cool me down during hot flashes and night sweats. I found myself constantly asking Tom to get me a cool washcloth. Since I have come home I am keeping cool washcloths with me. Yes, Tom keeps asking me what the damp spots are on the comforter, but it does help me to cool down more quickly and to get back to sleep. I thought that it might help someone else out there.

Continued Love, Hugs and Prayers,

Kat

Comments

24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Hi Kate,
    I have just started taking medacoplrimde myself for nausea after a very brutal year. I have found it works immediately which is a switch. I have had good results hope you too have some relief.
    I have to say Kat loosing ones hair and being bald was the best way to battle the hot flashes. Everytime it gets too hot in summer it takes all I have not to grab for the razor and shave it all off once again. I found not having hair the coolest time in my hot flash life. Just one positive for hair loss is all.
    Be good to yourself,
    Hope to catch up to you in chat one of these days.
    Be good to yourself, sounds like the hubby all ready is very good to you. LOL
    Your friend,
    thinking of you,
    Tara
  • iris48
    iris48 Member Posts: 92
    Dear Kat,
    Bellerspar or Bellergal works for hot flashes/night sweats. I take one tablet daily and went from 15- 18 flashes to maybe 3 a day for 14-20 second duration. It is a prescription drug. Hope this helps you.
    Hugs,
    Iris
  • nasa2537
    nasa2537 Member Posts: 311
    Hi Kat...so glad you found something to help. For me, it's 800 IU of Vitamin E daily...within about 2 weeks, I wasn't having the flashes much at all. I have about 1 or 2 a week now, sometimes daytime, sometimes, night sweats, but it's so much better. Maybe you could try that once you can swallow better. I'm glad the metoclopramide is helping some. Anything to get more liquids down! I'll say a special prayer for you to get past this....you WILL get past it! Hugs and prayers, Cyndi
  • nocarb1
    nocarb1 Member Posts: 99
    nasa2537 said:

Hi Kat...so glad you found something to help. For me, it's 800 IU of Vitamin E daily...within about 2 weeks, I wasn't having the flashes much at all. I have about 1 or 2 a week now, sometimes daytime, sometimes, night sweats, but it's so much better. Maybe you could try that once you can swallow better. I'm glad the metoclopramide is helping some. Anything to get more liquids down! I'll say a special prayer for you to get past this....you WILL get past it! Hugs and prayers, Cyndi

Hi there,
    I had them horrible until I as well started taking vitamin E. I take 800 mgs as well and they are almost non existant now! Best of luck and you will be in my prayers!!
    Carlye