Tamoxifen vs. Arimidex

Options
nasa2537
nasa2537 Member Posts: 311
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Ladies! There have been some posts about the hair loss associated with tamoxifen use. I feel as though I am going bald. Of course, I have hair, but seriously, I', sure I have lost about 40% of my hair. I will be seeing my oncologist in October, and thought of talking to her about changing to something. Someone in another support group recommended I ask about Arimidex, since she has had many less side effects from that. Does anyone else have experience with this? Is the Arimidex for estrogen/progesterone positive tumors as well as being pre-menopausal? I'd appreciate any insight anyone might have. I want to take what's best, and I realize only the Dr. can decide that, but I would like some feedback. I seem to be doing fine on the tamoxifen, but am not happy about the hair loss....it not only falls out, but breaks very easily. Any ideas on helping that situation for now would be appreciated, too...anything I can take, or any special hair treatments? Thanks in advance for your help. God bless, Cyndi

Comments

• jeancmici
    jeancmici Member Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Cyndi,

I think I have exactly what you describe. I began the tamoxifen a year ago Sept 27-01 when i was still essentially bald and my hair came in fairly thick but continues to get thinner all the time and yes, it seems very fragile. But Arimidex works a different way; the American Society of Clinical Oncologists-ASCO-decided that it does not have a long enuf track record to change patients to it.

I just use a body-building shampoo and hope I never lose enuf hair to be bald anywhere. However it is one of the least of my worries - bothersome on a 'down' day but how much worse it could be - right?

It is supposedly a rare side-effect of tamoxifen - they think because of the anti-estrogen effect because I already went thru menopause - unlike you - and that too brings a thinning of hair to most women. Arimidex it seems might affect us the same.

Now my cousin after 5 years on tamoxifen had no problem and thought I dreamed up this far-out idea of hair loss from it. Shows how much she knows!! :-)

Keep us posted.
    Jean
  • lindamc
    lindamc Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Cyndi, I thought I read somewhere that you have to be POST menopausal to take Arimidex?
  • nasa2537
    Options
    jeancmici said:

Cyndi,

I think I have exactly what you describe. I began the tamoxifen a year ago Sept 27-01 when i was still essentially bald and my hair came in fairly thick but continues to get thinner all the time and yes, it seems very fragile. But Arimidex works a different way; the American Society of Clinical Oncologists-ASCO-decided that it does not have a long enuf track record to change patients to it.

I just use a body-building shampoo and hope I never lose enuf hair to be bald anywhere. However it is one of the least of my worries - bothersome on a 'down' day but how much worse it could be - right?

It is supposedly a rare side-effect of tamoxifen - they think because of the anti-estrogen effect because I already went thru menopause - unlike you - and that too brings a thinning of hair to most women. Arimidex it seems might affect us the same.

Now my cousin after 5 years on tamoxifen had no problem and thought I dreamed up this far-out idea of hair loss from it. Shows how much she knows!! :-)

Keep us posted.
    Jean

Thanks, Jean. I really have thought about the fact that things could be worse. I guess since I've had my hair the same way for so many years, it just freaks me out to see it like it is. But, maybe it's just time for a makeover, huh? I bought a VO-5 treatment to make hair less brittle, and bought some shampoo called Thicker Fuller Hair. So, we'll see. I'm glad to have the info on Arimidex....I want to be taking whatever will do the best job, and if it's tamoxifen, so be it! Take care...Cyndi
  • nasa2537
    Options
    lindamc said:

Cyndi, I thought I read somewhere that you have to be POST menopausal to take Arimidex?

So....that leaves that drug out, huh? Between you and Jean, it sounds like Arimidex wouldn't be right for me. I'll still talk to the onc about it, and will let everyone know what she says. I won't be seeing her til some time in October, but like I said, I'll keep everyone posted in case whatever she tells me might help someone else with a decision. Thanks for the reply! Take care...Cyndi