Support for Caregivers

amintz0969
amintz0969 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Caregivers #1
My mom was diagnosed with colon cancer which has spread to her liver on February 1. She stayed with us until Father's Day so I could care for her while I was pregnant (baby girl born May 2) and caring for my 2 year old son! Talk about stress! I'm glad to say that she is doing ok on chemo and can take care of herself now and has moved back home. It's still stressful though. I'd be glad to talk!

Comments

• sbaker80
    sbaker80 Member Posts: 3
    I am takeing care of my father-in law , who has been diagnosed with spinal cancer 6 weeks ago. My mother-in law is an invilid,I also have 5 boys of my own and a full time job. I don't have any help with this. My husband is working 12 to 15 hours a day. I don't think I can keep going. Its too much.I don't know where to turn. The agencies aren't helping at all.
  • MadelynSO
    MadelynSO Member Posts: 1
    I am now a caregiver again

I lost my mother 6 months ago to CMML (leukemia) and now my father has been diagnosed with lung cancer. He refuses to do anything about it. No chemo, no oncologist, nothing he says he wants to be with my mom. She did do chemo and treatments for over 6 years until it just didn't help anymore. I'm at a loss because I lost my older brother 2 1/2 years ago. He had lung cancer as well. He lost one lung but had beat it. He died in his sleep due to a toxic combination of prescription medication. 
    I am overwhelmed at this point. I watched my mom die now I will be forced to watch my father die while trying to raise my 16 year old daughter who has ADHD and ASD. 

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,358 Member
    MadelynSO said:

I am now a caregiver again

I lost my mother 6 months ago to CMML (leukemia) and now my father has been diagnosed with lung cancer. He refuses to do anything about it. No chemo, no oncologist, nothing he says he wants to be with my mom. She did do chemo and treatments for over 6 years until it just didn't help anymore. I'm at a loss because I lost my older brother 2 1/2 years ago. He had lung cancer as well. He lost one lung but had beat it. He died in his sleep due to a toxic combination of prescription medication. 
    I am overwhelmed at this point. I watched my mom die now I will be forced to watch my father die while trying to raise my 16 year old daughter who has ADHD and ASD. 

Madelyn, I am so sorry to

Madelyn, I am so sorry to hear what you are going through - it certainly is a LOT and overwhelming.  I can't imagine what you are going through, but it sounds like you need some help.  Who can you talk to?  Do you work and have EAP?  Do you have a local church or synagogue you go to that would have someone to talk to?  

• KathyK251
    KathyK251 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2020 #5
    Overwhelmed

Hi new to boards. Mom was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer In October after 4 rounds of chemo her mind is confused. she is 80 and has mild dementia. This time she started seeing thing. my sister is her primary health care proxy because she lives close. But this time I took care of her. Mom is scared to upset my sister and she will not let me speak to the doctor who diagnosed her dementia.  Should I speak with her chemo doctors about her mental issue. do you think they could help answer my questions

• a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    KathyK251 said:

Overwhelmed

Hi new to boards. Mom was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer In October after 4 rounds of chemo her mind is confused. she is 80 and has mild dementia. This time she started seeing thing. my sister is her primary health care proxy because she lives close. But this time I took care of her. Mom is scared to upset my sister and she will not let me speak to the doctor who diagnosed her dementia.  Should I speak with her chemo doctors about her mental issue. do you think they could help answer my questions

Can you go to the appts?

Is there a way that you can be included in going to some appointments?   Perhaps your sister would welcome your involvement, so that all the responsibility is shared.