Expander surgery over !!!

karbear
karbear Member Posts: 163
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
hello,wanted to thank all of you for your responses . I had my expander surgery Tuesday and today I feel pretty good. I must say that the surgery was far worse than the mascetomy one. I was in major pain for a few days,but thanks to the pain medicine they kept me sleepy. Today I go and have the drain removed,which I am excited for and all the tape removed. I still have a few sore spots but nothing compared to the days after surgery. I start with the fills next week,I am hoping they go well and not so painful...Anyone with some advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks again for all your support. God Bless...Karin

Comments

• ktinkey
    ktinkey Member Posts: 170
    Karin,

Glad to hear your surgery went so well. I may not be the best person to give advice, since my expander(s) were put in place 6 years ago. I don't remember everything, but work with your doctor during the expansion phase. If it becomes too uncomfortable, please say so. Your are not in a race, so let your body dictate how much expansion should be done each week. I'm pretty sure my doctor had me take Tylenol before I got to the office each week, so it was already working when she finished. A heating pad works wonders too. If you need pain medication, ask for it. I found my expansion phase to be uncomfortable for a day or 2, but nothing I couldn't handle. Good luck and take care of yourself. Don't lift heavy objects and get plenty of rest.

God Bless,
    Kathy
  • nasa2537
    nasa2537 Member Posts: 311
    Hi Karin...I've never had that done, but CONGRATS to you for being done with that phase, and coming through it like a trooper! Never underestimate the power of a woman!!!! Keep us informed on how the fills go. Best wishes, Cyndi