I Can't Get Past The Diagnosis

brianb
brianb Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Emotional Support #1
I have had cancr since I was 18 (I am now 37) and about every five years I have a recurrance in the lymph nodes. (The cancer started in my thyroid and spread to the right cervical lymph nodes.)

Over half my life I have been a cancer patient and it defines my life. I have put my entire life on hold for fear of the cancer coming back, or because the cancer is back, or because I am too depressed about the future to get past the diagnosis.

How do you do it? What is your secret? And can anyone recommend a therapist or therapy style to help me with this problem? I need to get on with my life.

Comments

• rebecca01
    rebecca01 Member Posts: 5
    Brian, I was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 years ago, I was 35,it has cunsumed my life also and my marriage is at stake. I have 2 kids, one 10 yrs old and 1 4 yrs old. I have finally started in a cancer support group and it has made such a difference to me. You find that there are people JUST like you and feel the same and that you are NOT alone. This group has helped me much more than the 2 yrs of counseling (1 on 1). Cancer is the most horrid thing that has happened to me, and I have nothing positive to think about it. But being in this support group is helping me get a grip on what has happend to me. I am not sure what are you are from, but check out some cancer support groups..SOON. I wish that I had done it sooner!! Kepp me informed of what you have found. My email address is ramseyb@mindspring.com.
    Good luck and God bless,
    Becky
  • terato
    terato Member Posts: 375
    I was diagnosed with testicular cancer when I was 28. It had metastisized to the lymph nodes on the inside of my spine three months following my initial surgery. I felt "psychologically paralyzed" by cancer. It helped end my ten-year marriage and kept me stuck in a career I despised.

After my "lay-off" in May, 2000, I finally decided on a career change. I substitute teach now. At the ripe old age of 50, I am planning to return to college in the Fall to get my teaching certificate, something I should have done years ago.
  • nutt
    nutt Member Posts: 140
    I am very glad to hear you are still fighting. Have no magic answer or therapist but when the tough get tougher is when I recall seeing others at the hospital in so much greater distress I feel thankful. If it helps, I keep a copy of the following just as a little reminder.
    "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift! That's why it is called the PRESENT! wE THIN THIS IS SPECIAL, .... LIVE and SAVOR every moment.
    LIFE IS NOT A DRESS REHEARSAL." Author Unknown
    Good luck and just go for it.
    Joe Nutter