Her-2+++

nocarb1
nocarb1 Member Posts: 99
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone, I was dx sept 2001 with my BC and had a 2.2 cm tumor, node neg, er/pr+ and also her-2+++. I would like to talk to anyone with her-2 pos, and hear what their protocol was. I have taken 6 rounds of AC, doing rads right now and then I will do 6 rounds of taxol. My doc is very aggressive, and we are discussing herceptin as a preventive, but the evidence in not conclusive in node neg patients yet and he is not sure I will benefit. I just feel like I might need it because all I hear is about reoccurences when you are her-2 pos. I would love any feedback on this!! Thanks alot!!

Comments

  • jeancmici
    jeancmici Member Posts: 665 Member
    Research says that Her2+ is usually very responsive to Adriamycin - the best initial weapon - which you've had. Then adding taxol is really extra aggressive already because your nodes were negative.

    Herceptin can be hard on the heart - adriamycin also - MY GUT FEELING FOR MYSELF - and my oncologist's approach too is wait on the herceptin.
    I am Her2 3+ and one node + and ER+

    That's my feedback! :-)
    Jean
  • nocarb1
    nocarb1 Member Posts: 99
    jeancmici said:

    Research says that Her2+ is usually very responsive to Adriamycin - the best initial weapon - which you've had. Then adding taxol is really extra aggressive already because your nodes were negative.

    Herceptin can be hard on the heart - adriamycin also - MY GUT FEELING FOR MYSELF - and my oncologist's approach too is wait on the herceptin.
    I am Her2 3+ and one node + and ER+

    That's my feedback! :-)
    Jean

    thankyou what did you take and how long ago?
  • jeancmici
    jeancmici Member Posts: 665 Member
    nocarb1 said:

    thankyou what did you take and how long ago?

    I had a lumpectomy and axillary node dissection along with the sentinal node procedure Jan 2 -01; then had AC followed by taxol - four each - then radiation for 6 weeks - everything ended September 24,01.

    Well, then I began taking tamoxifen which I am supposed to take for 5 years.

    Since all the chemo strengths are figured by your weight - perhaps the 6 treatments you had were equal to my 4 - just spread out longer.

    It sounds as if you are getting good care - and with younger women, usually doctors ARE more aggressive. I am 64.
  • nocarb1
    nocarb1 Member Posts: 99
    jeancmici said:

    I had a lumpectomy and axillary node dissection along with the sentinal node procedure Jan 2 -01; then had AC followed by taxol - four each - then radiation for 6 weeks - everything ended September 24,01.

    Well, then I began taking tamoxifen which I am supposed to take for 5 years.

    Since all the chemo strengths are figured by your weight - perhaps the 6 treatments you had were equal to my 4 - just spread out longer.

    It sounds as if you are getting good care - and with younger women, usually doctors ARE more aggressive. I am 64.

    Are you her-2 pos? I know my doctor feels like you need the added 2.
  • jmears
    jmears Member Posts: 266
    I was dx in October of 2000 with a 2.4 cm tumor, node neg, er/pr+ and her2/neu strongly positive. My treatment was lumpectomy, 4 AC, 4 Taxotere (similar to taxol), 7 weeks radiation and 5 years Tamoxifen. I was 42 at diagnosis and my Dr. said he was being aggressive because of my age and the Her2/neu status. Herceptin is in reserve in case I have reccurence. I considered myself cancer free after the lumpectomy ... all the rest was future prevention and for now ... I think that is enough. Our dx is the same .. if you want to go a little more try the Taxol or Taxotere ... it has some harsh side effects. Let me know what you decide. Jamie
  • nocarb1
    nocarb1 Member Posts: 99
    jmears said:

    I was dx in October of 2000 with a 2.4 cm tumor, node neg, er/pr+ and her2/neu strongly positive. My treatment was lumpectomy, 4 AC, 4 Taxotere (similar to taxol), 7 weeks radiation and 5 years Tamoxifen. I was 42 at diagnosis and my Dr. said he was being aggressive because of my age and the Her2/neu status. Herceptin is in reserve in case I have reccurence. I considered myself cancer free after the lumpectomy ... all the rest was future prevention and for now ... I think that is enough. Our dx is the same .. if you want to go a little more try the Taxol or Taxotere ... it has some harsh side effects. Let me know what you decide. Jamie

    Hi Jamie,
    I would love to talk to you about this!! I am done with my radiation tomorrow. Then in 2 weeks I do start 6 rounds of taxol. My onc feels I do need this because of my her-2 status. Could you please tell me the side effects you had with taxol? I have heard some goods and bads but I just want to be prepared!! Thankyou so much and email me anytime at [email protected]
    Carlye
  • nocarb1
    nocarb1 Member Posts: 99
    jeancmici said:

    Research says that Her2+ is usually very responsive to Adriamycin - the best initial weapon - which you've had. Then adding taxol is really extra aggressive already because your nodes were negative.

    Herceptin can be hard on the heart - adriamycin also - MY GUT FEELING FOR MYSELF - and my oncologist's approach too is wait on the herceptin.
    I am Her2 3+ and one node + and ER+

    That's my feedback! :-)
    Jean

    Jean,
    Could you please tell me what your onc feels about the her-2. Does he feel like you are cured now without further treatment. Mine really feels like with the aggressive treatment I have had that will take care of it! thanks
    Carlye
  • jeancmici
    jeancmici Member Posts: 665 Member
    nocarb1 said:

    Are you her-2 pos? I know my doctor feels like you need the added 2.

    >>I am Her2 3+ and one node + and ER+

    3+ is as high as the test goes - 0 = no problem - 1 debatable - 2 & 3 definite HER2 positive
  • jeancmici
    jeancmici Member Posts: 665 Member
    nocarb1 said:

    Jean,
    Could you please tell me what your onc feels about the her-2. Does he feel like you are cured now without further treatment. Mine really feels like with the aggressive treatment I have had that will take care of it! thanks
    Carlye

    We've got Instant Messenger going here!

    Regardless of what some people say on this site, doctors who are honest do not talk of a cure - there isn't a cure for cancer. After treatment a person is in REMISSION and hopefully won't have a return during your lifetime - or it returns at a later date and no one can predict who gets what.

    It sounds like your oncologist is doing everything to hit it right now to prevent a recurrence. If he/she suggests herceptin - some young women get 52 weekly infusions, then I would probably do it.

    The best thing is to get as many cancer cells as possible in the beginning. No chemo hits all of them - just - hopefully - most of them - and then the body usually fights the few remaining cells if all goes well. that's why the taxol is being added and maybe the herceptin. It is easier to be aggressive early on than to fight metastatic cancer later.

    But all you can do is follow the best protocol which it seems you are getting and then the rest is up to God or fate.

    I hope I have not sounded too blunt. You have every reason to be optimistic.

    Good Luck and hugs, Jean
  • nocarb1
    nocarb1 Member Posts: 99
    jeancmici said:

    We've got Instant Messenger going here!

    Regardless of what some people say on this site, doctors who are honest do not talk of a cure - there isn't a cure for cancer. After treatment a person is in REMISSION and hopefully won't have a return during your lifetime - or it returns at a later date and no one can predict who gets what.

    It sounds like your oncologist is doing everything to hit it right now to prevent a recurrence. If he/she suggests herceptin - some young women get 52 weekly infusions, then I would probably do it.

    The best thing is to get as many cancer cells as possible in the beginning. No chemo hits all of them - just - hopefully - most of them - and then the body usually fights the few remaining cells if all goes well. that's why the taxol is being added and maybe the herceptin. It is easier to be aggressive early on than to fight metastatic cancer later.

    But all you can do is follow the best protocol which it seems you are getting and then the rest is up to God or fate.

    I hope I have not sounded too blunt. You have every reason to be optimistic.

    Good Luck and hugs, Jean

    DO You want to go into chat? I am in there if you want to?
  • pkay
    pkay Member Posts: 18
    jmears said:

    I was dx in October of 2000 with a 2.4 cm tumor, node neg, er/pr+ and her2/neu strongly positive. My treatment was lumpectomy, 4 AC, 4 Taxotere (similar to taxol), 7 weeks radiation and 5 years Tamoxifen. I was 42 at diagnosis and my Dr. said he was being aggressive because of my age and the Her2/neu status. Herceptin is in reserve in case I have reccurence. I considered myself cancer free after the lumpectomy ... all the rest was future prevention and for now ... I think that is enough. Our dx is the same .. if you want to go a little more try the Taxol or Taxotere ... it has some harsh side effects. Let me know what you decide. Jamie

    I am 39 dx July 2001. I too am Her-2++ 1/24 pos. and er/pr-. I had 4 rounds of a/c and taxol. I asked my doctor about taking herceptin and she stated that she felt I did not need it now due to my dx. She stated like Jamie's doctor that in case of recurrence, it is there for me to use in my care plan if needed. I still fight with the decision of taking it or not, but all I can do now is trust my doctor's decision. Good luck with your decision.
    God bless you. Pkay
  • nocarb1
    nocarb1 Member Posts: 99
    pkay said:

    I am 39 dx July 2001. I too am Her-2++ 1/24 pos. and er/pr-. I had 4 rounds of a/c and taxol. I asked my doctor about taking herceptin and she stated that she felt I did not need it now due to my dx. She stated like Jamie's doctor that in case of recurrence, it is there for me to use in my care plan if needed. I still fight with the decision of taking it or not, but all I can do now is trust my doctor's decision. Good luck with your decision.
    God bless you. Pkay

    Hi Pkay,
    Thanks for your message, I just dont know what to do, my onc says he feels like the ac and taxol is enough, but I also feel like I might need herceptin, and he will give it to me if I want. I just dont know!!!