7 Year survivor

Options
hrctravel
hrctravel Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi, I'm Missy, I'm only 26 years old and was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer when I was 19 years old, as you can imagine I was horrified, and I'm sure my mom was too (thinking since I'm her only child that she would never have grandchildren and possible lose her only daughter).

Well my symptoms were I guess what most go through for monthly cramps, only I could not sit/lay down/stand up, etc...with out pain. Also after about a month my stomach was starting to grow, like it would if you were pregnant.

Finally after I couldn't stand the pain anymore I went to the doctor(in which 3 more doctors came in to help diagnose), to which I was sent to another doctor, and then within 2 days I was in the hospital for a removal of one of my ovaries.

Went through a week straight of chemo, every 3 weeks for 3 months and was cured. I went for the usual 3 months/6 months to a year and now no checkups.

also in between 1995 and 2002 I have been able to have 2 beautiful girls, all on my own(ok not all on my own). First time I was pregnant my doctor and my cancer doctor were both amazed, and I asked if they really took an ovary out(they assured me they took a football size tumor out of my abdoman). Second time they knew I was just determained to have children.

My first daughter does have Down syndrome, but no one can say why she has Down syndrome, if it was from my cancer, treatments or just genetics.

I've gotten to my 7th year of being free from cancer. It can be done, always have hope and no matter what your age don't give up.

Comments

• bethy
    bethy Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi Missy!!
    Congratulations on your survival story! I am so happy to hear of your victory and the birth of your beautiful daughters. My name is Beth, I too had ovarian cancer. Please go to my personal page to read about my story. It sounds like we had the same type of cancer. I would love to communicate and share if you would. God Bless you and your family.
    Love, Beth
  • lynnk
    lynnk Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Missy
    My name is Lynn and I am 48 years old. I was
    diagnosed in December 2001 and have had a total hysterectomy. I am currently undergoing chemo and have 2 treatments left.
    Congratulations on your family and thanks for
    the encouragement.