AML Leukemia

ballen3
ballen3 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Leukemia #1
Would like to talk to some one with aml, especially if in the San antonio, TX area. I was diagnosed with aml 1 Dec 00 and had 3 chemo treatments. Presently am in remission.
Bobby Sllen

Comments

• suzykg
    suzykg Member Posts: 3
    Hey Bobby,
    My name is Suzy. I don't live in San Antonio, but I was diagnosed with AML back in January of 2000. I also had 3 chemo treatments and am currently in remmission. I hope you are feeling well, and have a positive frame of mind. That's what kept me going....PMA, as I like to call it. Positive Mental Atitude! If you have any questions for me, ask and I'll try to answer. I had M3, Acute Promyelocetic Leukemia. I took ATRA along with the chemos ARA C and Idorubisin. I stayed on the ATRA for 1 year and have been cancer free since March of 2000. I have been volunteering to speak with other AML people at my hospital when they are newly diagnosed, that's what helped me out in the beginning. I hope that we can become e-friends!
    Let me know how you're feeling and doing!
    God Bless
    Suzy
  • pmtpa
    pmtpa Member Posts: 3
    suzykg said:

Hey Bobby,
    My name is Suzy. I don't live in San Antonio, but I was diagnosed with AML back in January of 2000. I also had 3 chemo treatments and am currently in remmission. I hope you are feeling well, and have a positive frame of mind. That's what kept me going....PMA, as I like to call it. Positive Mental Atitude! If you have any questions for me, ask and I'll try to answer. I had M3, Acute Promyelocetic Leukemia. I took ATRA along with the chemos ARA C and Idorubisin. I stayed on the ATRA for 1 year and have been cancer free since March of 2000. I have been volunteering to speak with other AML people at my hospital when they are newly diagnosed, that's what helped me out in the beginning. I hope that we can become e-friends!
    God Bless
    Suzy

Dear Suzy,
    I am glad to hear that you are doing well. Same goes for Bobby. I was diagnosed in Dec 1997 with AML, well actually APL like you. I also had the ATRA pills and was put in remission with those, and then had the three rounds of the same chemo as you. I went into remission in January 1998, and am still in remission! It is good to hear of other people doing well.
    Take care.
    pmtpa
  • rita54636
    rita54636 Member Posts: 1
    suzykg said:

Hey Bobby,
    God Bless
    Suzy

Hello i just read your message to Bobby. My name is Rita and i just found out on Christmas that i had AML. I have M2 i really have no one to talk to and have been looking for people to talk to and help me through the tough times that i am going through. I would really like to hear from you. Thank you
  • jerri28
    jerri28 Member Posts: 1
    I'm not in San Antonio area but, I'm in Texas (east Texas) and I have or had AML. I', in remission -- I would love to talk to you -- e-mail address is madamejeri@aol.com
  • cheryl58
    cheryl58 Member Posts: 2
    I'm a 7 year survivor of AML. I'm interesting in knowing others who survived and what the future holds for us.
  • cola403
    cola403 Member Posts: 1
    My name is Angelica and I was diagnosed with AMLm3 on March 19th, 2002. I spent a total of ten weeks in the hospital but I am doing well!!! I received 4 treatments of Idarubicin and cytaribine and am now currently on maintenance with a combination of ATRA, methotrexate, and mercaptopurine. I hope everyone is doing ok. I have a three year old daughter and I am 24. I am glad to hear such positive attitudes from those on this site!! God Bless You. Angelica
  • easttexaspines
    easttexaspines Member Posts: 1
    hang in there. My 4 year old granddaughter was Diagosed with it last year. She could only have 3 treatments due to a fungus that grew in her lungs
    while she was neutropenic. I saw her go through some bad times, as I am sure that you did. The sores in the mouth, the pain, the throwing up of blood, and the operation that they did on her lungs, to remove 2 golf ball size funguses.
    She is presently doing very well. Her mother is a nurse & is able to give her her food bag & antifungal medications at night while she plays on her laptop computer. She has a lot of energy & is doing great, as I know that you will do.The main thing that cured her was the prayers that were prayed about her from people that we have never heard of. She went to childrens medical center in Dallas, & they are wonderful.
    If there is any thing I can do to help you, please let me know. The main thing that I would recommend, is to believe strongly in Jesus Christ & pray to him daily, and ask you freinds & families to do the same thing. The other thing, that Macy has done, is keep a good attitude.
    Do any thing you can to get your mind off of it. Watch cartoons, play computer games, try & learn new things, and again, do a lot of praying.
    If you can, write me back at martind28@thenett.com & tell me what kind of aml that you have. She had AML M2 with an 8:21 crhomosome swap. (In other words, part of chromosome 8 broke off & attached itself to chromosome #21, & part of chromosome 21 broke off and attached itself to #8.)
    Please ask me any thing you want to & I will do my best to try & find the most recent research.
    Just remember to HANG IN THERE.
    I don't know you but I love you as a Christian & will pray for you.
    Hope to find out more about you.
    See you later
    Jeff Dickerson - Martind28@thenett.com
  • Books
    Books Member Posts: 1
    cheryl58 said:

I'm a 7 year survivor of AML. I'm interesting in knowing others who survived and what the future holds for us.

Hello Chery158
    My son is a AML survivor of 4 years now. He is however, suffering from Avasculian necrosis in the worse form. He is in constant pain and is so angry that his personal life is suffering badly from it. He is in college and trying to function. He feels that he is leading a double life and is going crazy doing it. Can you offer any suggestions or words of wisdom for my son. He was so happy before and now is so angry and sad.
    Thanks,
    Books
  • mr8cl
    mr8cl Member Posts: 9
    Hi Bobby! I hope you're doing well. I am an AML survivor as well. Please feel free to contact me if you need a friend. I'm in Columbus, OH.
    ksbrown1@aep.com
  • TopFlight
    TopFlight Member Posts: 1
    Hello there. I am a 25 year old newly diagnosed AML patient from San Antonio, I am presently in my induction therapy process. Any words of encouragement from you would be appreciated. I am scared but my faith and trust is in God.
  • cbertus
    cbertus Member Posts: 1
    rita54636 said:

Hello i just read your message to Bobby. My name is Rita and i just found out on Christmas that i had AML. I have M2 i really have no one to talk to and have been looking for people to talk to and help me through the tough times that i am going through. I would really like to hear from you. Thank you

Hi Rita,
    I just got started on this web cite. My husband was diagnosed with AML M2 in 7/01 and has been in remission since 11/01. His blood counts have never come back up to normal. He has not had a transfusion since 8/02. He now has myelodysplasia. How are you doing?
  • cbertus said:

Hi Rita,
    I just got started on this web cite. My husband was diagnosed with AML M2 in 7/01 and has been in remission since 11/01. His blood counts have never come back up to normal. He has not had a transfusion since 8/02. He now has myelodysplasia. How are you doing?

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • tayjokids
    tayjokids Member Posts: 3
    rita54636 said:

my husband was just dx with aml m2
    i was wondering how many rounds of chemo you had and if you are in remisson my husband was dx the begining of oct he is recieving his 2 nd round of chemo the 1 st one did not put him in remisson the doctors tell me m2 is not that bad
  • farahi
    farahi Member Posts: 22
    tayjokids said:

i was wondering how many rounds of chemo you had and if you are in remisson my husband was dx the begining of oct he is recieving his 2 nd round of chemo the 1 st one did not put him in remisson the doctors tell me m2 is not that bad

I was dx on 7/17/2009 with
    I was dx on 7/17/2009 with AML m5 and have induccion therapy 2 because the 1st one didnt work 2nd put me in remission, and my dr said i will recive 4 more rounds of chemo.

I hope your husband get better soon.
    Good Luck!
  • surrah_09
    surrah_09 Member Posts: 2
    AML
    Hey Bobby,
    I was diagnosed with AML June 3 2007 and have been in remission for 2 years. Sorry, I'm not from San Antonio. I'm from San Diego.
  • sonja844
    sonja844 Member Posts: 4
    suzykg said:

Hey Bobby,
    God Bless
    Suzy

I am new here, but I need to talk to other AML survivors
    My name is Sonja. I'm 34 with 4 kids and have been married for just about 15 years. Last year (12/21/08) I was diagoised with AML. I was pregnant and had to give up the pregnancy, (which I still cry about) to start chemo. I started chemo January the 1, 2009. I have been in remission since the first chemo, but had more. I'm very emotional still and wonder if that will ever go away? I really need people who know what I have gone through to help me heal. I have chronic pain and can't work now, but I'm seriously so greatful I'm here today. I know there is only one who made me well! The Lord Jesus Christ.
    Even though he has healed me of the cancer, I still am emotionally in pain.
    If anyone knows how I can get healing help for the pain I am left with...please e-mail me at sonjamarie844@aol.com.
    It may take me awhile to get back to you. Please be patient. I appreciate it...Thank you!
  • sonja844
    tayjokids said:

I had only 2 rounds
    I had the induction chemo, and only 1 follow up chemo before I told me Doctor no more. I felt like I couldn't live through any more chemo. It was a great decision because I'm still alive and it has been 1 year.
    My doctor told me that if I could stay cancer free for 2 years that I would be concidered cured. Because AML is so fast acting that if it didn't return within 2 years that there was only a 5% chance of a retutrn.
    I want you to know I feel for what you are going through. God is with you and He knows everything you and your husband are going through. God Bless You!
  • sonja844
    rita54636 said:

Hi Rita.. I found out I had AML 12/21/08
    I have had no one to talk to either who knows what I'm going through. I'm sure you are scared. I know how I felt when I was told and if you feel like I felt, you are shocked. Shake the shock off and get ready to fight. Girl you are IMPORTANT and LOVED and you need to hear that. So get that fighters spirit in check because you are needed here on earth. I had to fight for my life and when I was unable to fight any longer...loved ones fought for me. I AM praying for you. God is with you, and believe it or not he is will you. He has walked with you through all your life silently, but is the one who is with us when are hospital room is empty and we need someone to cry to. Don't forget to call out to him. I don't want to be preaching to you or anyone, but I'm here on earth this day because of Jesus. If I offend you I apologize but I'm not sorry for believeing in him.
    GOD IS WITH YOU DEAR!
  • mary1977
    mary1977 Member Posts: 6
    tayjokids said:

AML - remission
    Hi, my name is Mary and I was diagnosed with AML M5 last Aug. 2009. I went thru extensive chemo, the induction, got all the side affects and then some, and was in the hospital for a month and 1/2. I did go thru consolidation chemo and it was just as bad as the first; if not worse. I developed three infections, one was on my face that turned into a staff infection and spread to my lungs. I had surgery on my face, and was in the hospital for 3 weeks. they almost lost me during that time because the infection spread and my pulse rate went up to 138 and fever was 103. They got me stabalized, not having to send me to ICU.
    In my mind, all full doses of chemo give you the "bad" side affects.
    I told my doctor that I was going to refuse any more chemo because I didn't want to get so sick anymore, I couldn't go thru that again. I had a 3rd treatment, but only 1/2.
    A week ago I had another BMB and this time it came back clear. My doctor said I am now in remission; but I really don't know how long remission lasts. I have heard that a person in remission still has a 50/50% chance to relaps. If this happens to me, I will accept it. Have you heard of the percentages of this disease? Or if anyone out there knows, please inform us.
    thanks
    mary