Weight

Options
isaiah4031
isaiah4031 Member Posts: 240
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,
I finished my 2nd chemo yesterday...so far so good, just some nausea and I'm very tire. However, I have found that I keep gaining weight. I could be a linebacker for a major league football team! I have been walking and watching my intake...(maybe not as diligently as I could be, but certainly not as much as I used to eat). I am so demoralized about that. This has been a lifelong battle for me, but now it's worse. I've kind of held steady before, but now I'm gaining two to three pounds every doctor visit. Any suggestions? I know that this is a really trivial problem, but conbimed with the hair loss, I feel like I'm given a whole new meaning to the word "ugly". (This really isn't a pity party, I'm just hunting for help before I get so frustrated I give up....) Sorry for the downer note, but if you have any suggestions, I am eager to hear.
God bless you all, Jayne

Comments

• jeancmici
    jeancmici Member Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hi Jayne,

The weight gain just goes with the territory. You should not be dieting - good nourishment is essential. I must confess that my idea of good nourishment - daily - was ice cream. I even found a web site which said ice cream daily was okay!!!

You can diet later. Good Luck!
    Jean
  • cat1switzerland
    cat1switzerland Member Posts: 112
    Options
    Hi Jayne,

My favorite diet help book is : "A week in the zone " from Barry Sears. It is available from Amazon, and many people have used it to lose a lot of weight and to feel more energy. Here is what one of the reviewers said about it, to give you an idea : "This diet is based on information taken from hardcore Nobel-prize winning research... Simply put the biochemistry is based on the fact that the intake and over-consumption of simple carbohydrates lead to surges of insulin in the blood and this in turn makes us sluggish. Over a lifetime it leaves us at risk for conditions such as heart disease and cancer. Low fat protein releases glucagon, which helps to mobilize fat as opposed to insulin, which works to store our excess calories. The result is an increase in weight if the balance is off...
    After a week in the Zone I am amazed at how sharp my thinking is and how much energy I have. The most incredible effect is the lack of cravings I have for carbohydrates, that in it self is truly a miracle. "

This pretty much sums up what I thought about the book myself. I hope it will help you. I know it is hard to lose weight, hard also to feel bad about it. Remember, the top priority is not for you to lose weight right now, but to get better. You can always focus on losing weight afterwards.

Big hugs, take good care,
    Cathy
  • jbeardslee
    jbeardslee Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Hi Jayne,

I'm so glad to read your message, I thought about you several times yesterday. I don't know about actual weight loss but I remember seeing a booklet put out by the American Cancer society called 'Nutrition for the Person with Cancer.' It's a guide of some different foods that might be beneficial during treatments, especially for the person suffering from side effects. Again I don't know if it addresses weight or not but hopefully you can get one of the booklets if you don't already have one and check it out. I agree with the others, the important thing right now is to feel good and take care of yourself.
    Take care.
    love, judy
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options
    Hi Jayne. I never had chemo but I know that alot of the weight you put on during chemo is from the meds. they give you to help with nausea and inflammation. They're steroids. They cause increase in fluid build up. As soon as the chemo ends, you'll be able to lose the weight again. Right now, concentrate on getting well. The rest will happen later,. Good luck. Cathy
  • oliveoyl
    oliveoyl Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi Jayne.....so the nausea doesn't keep you from eating? I have just the opposite problem. Pain killers & radiation made me nauseous for three weeks and I lost 9 pounds. I am 5'11" and used to weigh 129. Now I REALLY look like Olive Oyl....hehehe. I know what you mean about feeling ugly all the time. I lost about 75% of my scalp hair on my last round of chemo and after 5-1/2 months it still hasn't grown back. Guess I'll be ugly for the rest of my life...what's left of it. I would suggest that you keep moving. Do you like to take walks? Ride a bike? You need to burn more calories than you're taking in. Just get up and take a walk around the house if you can. I'm sure your energy level would also improve with a little exercise. I know what you're going through. You'll be back to normal before you know it! Take care.
    Olive Oyl
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • momof2
    momof2 Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Hi Jayne! I know how you are feeling. I posted a message similar to yours a few weeks ago. I gained 12 pounds from my chemo and it was very discouraging. I just finished my chemo at the end of July and I have now lost almost 8 pounds of the 12 that I gained. I go to the gym 4 times a week and work out a lot. I love to exercise! If you can get out for walks it does wonders for you. Don't let it get you down. It will come off again. I totally understand how you feel. It will get better! Please e-mail me anytime you want! It's been a rough road for all of us, but we can make it. I hope you are doing well and take care of yourself. Carrie
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Hey Jayne,
    Yes it is true some of us gain weight like never before while in the midst of our treatments. I gained 40-45 lbs through chemo and radiation. I was just thankful food was going down my throat. Not easy to eat when feeling ill all the time. It has been 4 years since treatments and it is now slowly coming off. I just resigned myself to the weight gain and all other side affects. I would do what I had to to get through it all and I did.
    Be good to yourself first,
    Don't get stuck on this one girl, time will heal and help to shape yourself into something new.
    Hang in there.
    24242Tara
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Hi Jayne:
    It isn't uncommon at all for women on breast cancer treatments to gain weight. I understand that the usual gain is about 10 lbs. Some gain more, some less and some don't change at all, while a few lose weight.
    We're all different in how our body responds.
    I stayed about the same, losing about 4 lbs.
    total.
    The important thing is to take good care of yourself, love and pamper yourself and eat whatever foods you tolerate best, not worrying about weight too much. You can always work on getting back to normal once you finish treatments. Most women get back to their pre-treatment weight within 6 months or so.
    Please don't allow yourself to feel "ugly"
    during this difficult time. YOU'RE NOT!!!
    I found that it helped me to experiment with
    wigs and other headgear in addition to playing around with different make-up strategies. I tried diligently to have fun
    with what I had to work with! Of course, some days, especially just after treatment, I
    didn't feel presentable no matter what I did,
    which often, wasn't much of an effort anyway.
    It's tough all round. Losing the hair (and
    not just on the head), the dry skin and discolored nails, not to mention all the physical things going on with the hard and fast menopause! Yet, love is all
    round, whether you feel pretty or feminine,
    or like a neuter (which is how I felt).
    Hang in and don't let it get you down.

Love, light and laughter,
    Inkblot
  • pamtriggs
    pamtriggs Member Posts: 386
    Options
    The anti-nausea meds they give you are steriods & guess what linebackers take to bulkk up illegally Yeah you guessed it - Steroids. So you won't have much success in losing weight until you are of the meds. Weightnhas been a lifelong battle for me too. Luckily (or unluckily) the steriods do not work too well fro me & I lose 2-3 kg each chemo. I am down 11 kg now and beginning to look quite good apart from no hair. So hang on in there & get back on the diet after the chemo. Kicking the cancer is more important than getting a bit cuddly. Feel good about yourself & give yourself a break. Lots of luck. Love Pam
  • cdhmb
    cdhmb Member Posts: 1
    Options
    momof2 said:

Hi Jayne! I know how you are feeling. I posted a message similar to yours a few weeks ago. I gained 12 pounds from my chemo and it was very discouraging. I just finished my chemo at the end of July and I have now lost almost 8 pounds of the 12 that I gained. I go to the gym 4 times a week and work out a lot. I love to exercise! If you can get out for walks it does wonders for you. Don't let it get you down. It will come off again. I totally understand how you feel. It will get better! Please e-mail me anytime you want! It's been a rough road for all of us, but we can make it. I hope you are doing well and take care of yourself. Carrie

weight gain
    I also gained, 30 pounds, now have lost 10, the ability to exercise is coming back. I am looking at this like I need to take small constant steps toward my full recovery, I find doing weight resistance training at the gym is helping me. One thing I consider often is I took good care of my self during the treatments, to get over the cancer, which has to be it seems the first and formost goal. But now can I do any less than take good care of my self and get back to my old healthier weight after working so hard to gain my health back!!
  • tjohnson2310
    tjohnson2310 Member Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I hear you
    I feel like a linebacker as well. I was already overweight so adding on more weight is just heartbreaking. I am on steroids pre chemo... My plan is to exercise and eat healthier.....(need motivation 101). I sometimes feel ugly(fat and bald,LOL). I know I can't change this overnight. So, I tell myself I have to put in work and know its ok to be voluptous(not fat)and bald. Don't give up, if you fall off the wagon just get back on.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options

I hear you
    I feel like a linebacker as well. I was already overweight so adding on more weight is just heartbreaking. I am on steroids pre chemo... My plan is to exercise and eat healthier.....(need motivation 101). I sometimes feel ugly(fat and bald,LOL). I know I can't change this overnight. So, I tell myself I have to put in work and know its ok to be voluptous(not fat)and bald. Don't give up, if you fall off the wagon just get back on.

I recognized the poster and
    I recognized the poster and hadn't seen her posting for AGES~ I was pleased and surprised. And then, I looked to see when she started this thread~ It was in 2001~~~~ I'll bet Jayne has taken off the weight by now! :-)

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • PinkWillow
    PinkWillow Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi Jayne
    I was so

Hi Jayne
    I was so disappointed when I gained weight during treatment as well. Now I am finished and going to weight watchers - the support of the people at the meetings make me feel so much better about myself. So far, I have lost only a couple pounds but am feeling like I am getting back on track. I think tracking food intake while I was in chemo helped keep the weight gain "reasonable" and reminded me to get my veggies and fruit in every day. Hang in there, it'll come back off and the word "ugly" will be erased!!!
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

I recognized the poster and
    I recognized the poster and hadn't seen her posting for AGES~ I was pleased and surprised. And then, I looked to see when she started this thread~ It was in 2001~~~~ I'll bet Jayne has taken off the weight by now! :-)

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Chen, Don't you just hate
    Chen, Don't you just hate when that happens. LOL
  • new2me
    new2me Member Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel.
    Before I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer I had lost 25 lbs through working out, aerobic classes, and even doctor prescribed diet pills and I was very happy with myself. I had lost a size in clothes (down to a 10) and I had a closet full of new clothes. I had tucked away my old size 12 and Larges. but didn't get rid of them. I just felt like I shouldn't. Well, since my lumpectomy I have gained 15 lbs. I am literally sick over it. I feel fat,ugly and not at all sexy. Infact, I am more upset about my weight gain then losing my hair. Nothing but a few item fit and I have to wear them over and over to work everyday. My family and friends tell me it's ok and not to worry and I know they are right but it still upsets me. I try to walk as often as I can / I have even gone back to some aerobic classes (when I can) - that helps a little but still can't wear my size 10's. I have 2 more treatments then I can start working out again full force - I'm even hoping the Dr. will allow me to take diet pills. I don't think there is anything out there to stop us from gaining the weight. I was told it's the steriods and the Chemo. so this is something I have to deal with myself and reconcile to the fact that - this is a given. but the greatest thing of all is that IT'S ONLY TEMPORARY !!!! Amen to that. don't give up - just know, it's not forever - you will lose it when chemo is over. We may have to work out but we will lose it.
    Sorry I don't have any magical answers for you. Though sometimes there is comfort in knowing you are not alone.

Good luck to you :)'

Kelly
  • new2me
    new2me Member Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    new2me said:

I know exactly how you feel.
    Before I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer I had lost 25 lbs through working out, aerobic classes, and even doctor prescribed diet pills and I was very happy with myself. I had lost a size in clothes (down to a 10) and I had a closet full of new clothes. I had tucked away my old size 12 and Larges. but didn't get rid of them. I just felt like I shouldn't. Well, since my lumpectomy I have gained 15 lbs. I am literally sick over it. I feel fat,ugly and not at all sexy. Infact, I am more upset about my weight gain then losing my hair. Nothing but a few item fit and I have to wear them over and over to work everyday. My family and friends tell me it's ok and not to worry and I know they are right but it still upsets me. I try to walk as often as I can / I have even gone back to some aerobic classes (when I can) - that helps a little but still can't wear my size 10's. I have 2 more treatments then I can start working out again full force - I'm even hoping the Dr. will allow me to take diet pills. I don't think there is anything out there to stop us from gaining the weight. I was told it's the steriods and the Chemo. so this is something I have to deal with myself and reconcile to the fact that - this is a given. but the greatest thing of all is that IT'S ONLY TEMPORARY !!!! Amen to that. don't give up - just know, it's not forever - you will lose it when chemo is over. We may have to work out but we will lose it.
    Sorry I don't have any magical answers for you. Though sometimes there is comfort in knowing you are not alone.

Good luck to you :)'

Kelly

Old post
    Now I just noticed it was an old post from 2001----LOL
    Wonder if she lost her weight. :)
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Jayne I hear you
    loud and clear! Last fall I lost 25#s. Since being dx in May I've regained the 25#s. My daughter-in-law is 7 months pregnant and I look like I'm have sextuplets! My stomach is huge! I certainly hope that I can get back to normal with Weight Watchers when treatment is over!
    Char
  • libbymiller
    libbymiller Member Posts: 1
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Jayne I hear you
    loud and clear! Last fall I lost 25#s. Since being dx in May I've regained the 25#s. My daughter-in-law is 7 months pregnant and I look like I'm have sextuplets! My stomach is huge! I certainly hope that I can get back to normal with Weight Watchers when treatment is over!
    Char

weight gain
    I have T4 breast cancer & weighed 98# when I found out. that was June08.Now I weigh 217. I READ everyones response to wt. gain. Im full of fluid& see my Dr. every 3 months now for the normals scans, its went into a small part of my lung and I have a leaky left valve in my heart.So far nothing has changed buy my wt.& I sleep 4hrs. at a time. Being alone is very hard & having noone to talk to about this, my mother had breast cancer & lived 20 yrs. but she had T2, I do have 3 lymph nodes left on my left side.
    I was so happy to read all the letter and good news. Made me feel lucky Im still around. I just got a computer and you just dont know how happy I am to read these stories. Does anyone have pain under their armpit & back the side your breast was taken off? I forgot I had 9 months of chemo & thats when the chemo was stopped because I just blew up, my legs had fluid running out of my pores. but Im still on water pills and pottassium. If anyone can tell me what to ask my Dr.or what to do I would appreciate it. So happy I found this network. Thank you, libby