New to this and would like some help

martinh
martinh Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Hi there my wife has just come out of surgery,her lower left lung was to be removed but the didnt because the cancer had spread all over the diagnosis at present is Squamous Cell Carcinoma Of The Left Lung,I want to talk to people who know what this is and to hear of ALL possible treatments available.Dolores is only 34 years old and showed no symptoms other than a dry cough which started 3 months ago.I am terrified,PLEASE REPLY AND LET ME KNOW WHAT I SHOULD KNOW.

Comments

• loulou
    loulou Member Posts: 65 Member
    Hi martinh, January, 5 2000, I was 40 yrs. old when I was diagnosed with non small cell lung w/mets. to lymph nodes, and two brain lesions. It is a very scary thing to have happen. I had four doctors telling me that i'm to young for this stuff, but before I knew it I had a needle in my arm being pumped full of chemo. I couldn't believe it, me. The kind of chemo I had was taxol, and carboplatin. I was also having radiation to my lung at the same time. For my brain I had a procedure called stereo tac tic. I didn't want to have a full brain radiation. That choice felt right for me. Almost two years later, things are still looking very good for me. I ended up not needing surgery at all on my lung. Lymph nodes are back to normal size, and the brain lesions are getting smaller all the time. There are no signs of any live cell activity any where. But, I also know things could be completly different tomorrow.. I choose to think of this disease as a chronic disease that I may have to treat again some day. Attitude is so important. I payed no attention to statistics, they weren't for me. I never believed I was going to die. I never asked "why me". I new this was happening for a good reason, I just had to look. I tried making this into as good of an experience as I could. There are a couple of books written by Bernie Siegle, I really liked the one called "Love, Miracles, and Medicine" they are excellent, I recommend you check those out. If you have any questions, just ask, I would be happy to help if I can. You can email me if you want.
    You will be in my thoughts, so let me know how things are going. Lots, and lots of love, loulou
  • gronya
    gronya Member Posts: 3
    HI MARTIN
    AS FAR AS I KNOW THE ONLY THING THEY CAN DO IS RADIATION. MY HUSBAND JUST HAD 2/3 OF HIS LLUNG ON THE RIGHT SIDE REMOVED AND THEY FOUND IT HAS SPREAD TO THE LYMPH NODES THEY TELL ME THAT THE SQUAMOUS CELL THAT HE HAS RESPONDS WELL TO RADIATION. BASICALY ALL YOU CAN DO IS HOPE AND PRAY THAT THE RADIATION LOOKS AFTER IT. THAT IS WHAT WE ARE DOING AND GOD WILLING WITH ALL THE NEW THINGS THEY ARE COMMING OUT WITH IT WILL BE IN TIME FOR YOUR WIFE AND MY HUSBAND. I SPOKE TO THE PEOPLE AT NOVISTAT PHARMISUTICALS AND THEY TOLD ME THEY HAVE STARTED SECOND STAGE TRIALS WITH GLIVEC ON LUNG CANCER. APPARENTLY THEY HAVE HAD PHENOMINAL RESULTS WITH THAT DRUG WHEN THEY USED IT ON LEUKIMIA AND SOME STOMACH CANCERS AND IT HAS ALREADY BEEN APPROVED BY THE FDA FOR THOSE CANCERS SO PERHAPS IN SIX MONTHS IT WILL ALSO BE APPROVED FOR LUNG CANCER. GOD BLESS
    GRONYA
  • martinh
    martinh Member Posts: 10
    loulou said:

Hi martinh, January, 5 2000, I was 40 yrs. old when I was diagnosed with non small cell lung w/mets. to lymph nodes, and two brain lesions. It is a very scary thing to have happen. I had four doctors telling me that i'm to young for this stuff, but before I knew it I had a needle in my arm being pumped full of chemo. I couldn't believe it, me. The kind of chemo I had was taxol, and carboplatin. I was also having radiation to my lung at the same time. For my brain I had a procedure called stereo tac tic. I didn't want to have a full brain radiation. That choice felt right for me. Almost two years later, things are still looking very good for me. I ended up not needing surgery at all on my lung. Lymph nodes are back to normal size, and the brain lesions are getting smaller all the time. There are no signs of any live cell activity any where. But, I also know things could be completly different tomorrow.. I choose to think of this disease as a chronic disease that I may have to treat again some day. Attitude is so important. I payed no attention to statistics, they weren't for me. I never believed I was going to die. I never asked "why me". I new this was happening for a good reason, I just had to look. I tried making this into as good of an experience as I could. There are a couple of books written by Bernie Siegle, I really liked the one called "Love, Miracles, and Medicine" they are excellent, I recommend you check those out. If you have any questions, just ask, I would be happy to help if I can. You can email me if you want.
    You will be in my thoughts, so let me know how things are going. Lots, and lots of love, loulou

LOULOU U sound like an incredibly wonderfull person I thank u from evey corner of my heart for replying.Dolores is now at home,I want to ask you to please e-email her direct at dhopps@freemail.absa.co.za ,and talk to her via the net.I am the one who tends to find people like you but I need you to talk to her ,loulou this woman is so very special to me please help me,mucho thank you.