new to the group

lilbluesmurfie
lilbluesmurfie Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
My dad is 57 years old. He was diagnosed with NSCLC IV in October 2001. In November he had to have a pin put in his left leg. He took chemo and radiation. In May 2001 he had to have his rotor cup down to the elbow replaced with a steel shoulder and rod. He is now doing radiation on his shoulder and arm. He had scans ran last week and they found a tumor in between his lung and spine. It's not attached to anything at this time. They also discovered a spot on his liver. He is scheduled for chemo on the 28th of August. He is very weak and light headed alot. He keeps asking if this is the way it will be until the end. I don't know what to say to him. He is a believer and so is our family. He says he's not afraid to die he just wonders what it will be like at the end. Anyone with suggestions on how to help with his questions would be appreciated.

Comments

• loulou
    loulou Member Posts: 65 Member
    What kind of chemo treatment will your dad be getting? Is your dad now on some kind of med. that could be causing the light headiness? When I was first diagnosed with nsclc, (I also had 2 lesions in my brain and large lymph nodes) a friend gave me a book by Bernie Siegle called "Love, Miracles,and Medicine", it was wonderful, I highly reccommend it for you, and your dad to read. He also has others that are very good to read. It's been almost 2 years since I was diagnosed, and it's been a year since my last chemo, radiation treatment I am feeling really good. So, it is possible to survive this horrible stuff. Attitude is a big part. I think it helps to decide that you are not going to die yet, and keep on living your life the way you want to. Believe, and listen to what your body is telling you... I hope things go well for both you and your dad. loulou
  • lilbluesmurfie
    lilbluesmurfie Member Posts: 2
    loulou said:

What kind of chemo treatment will your dad be getting? Is your dad now on some kind of med. that could be causing the light headiness? When I was first diagnosed with nsclc, (I also had 2 lesions in my brain and large lymph nodes) a friend gave me a book by Bernie Siegle called "Love, Miracles,and Medicine", it was wonderful, I highly reccommend it for you, and your dad to read. He also has others that are very good to read. It's been almost 2 years since I was diagnosed, and it's been a year since my last chemo, radiation treatment I am feeling really good. So, it is possible to survive this horrible stuff. Attitude is a big part. I think it helps to decide that you are not going to die yet, and keep on living your life the way you want to. Believe, and listen to what your body is telling you... I hope things go well for both you and your dad. loulou

His first round was taxcol and carboplatin. He was taking gemzar. We won't know until the 28th what this round will be. The reason he is light headed is due to the tumor pressing on his lung. I'm really glad to hear you have done good this last year. Thank you for the book info. My dad's attitude is what I'm worried about. He won't go to support groups. He just has my mom and their friends. He says he doesn't feel like doing anything. He seems very sad. Thanks for replying.