Tamoxifen - Side effects

Options
johanna_2001
johanna_2001 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My Mom (60 yrs old) is taking tamoxifen. She can not bare the side effects. She tells me that she feels it is killing her. I can not see her this way. Does anyone know of any alternative preventive medication? Or does anyone know if there is anything out there to help her reduce the side effects? Her doctor has prescribed Tamocifen for ten years and she is barely on her 8th month.
Please help.

Comments

• jmears
    jmears Member Posts: 266
    Options
    The other estrogen receptor I have read about is Raloxifene but it seems Tamoxifen is the more commonly perscibed ... it's been around longer. I also read that taking Tamoxifen for more that 5 years has not shown any added benifit so I would question the doctor about taking it for 10 years. I started Tamoxifen 2 months ago. I'm 43. I actually feel no side effects at all ... unless I don't notice them after all the chemotherapy or age makes a difference. What are the side effects your mom is experiencing?
  • gayj
    gayj Member Posts: 38
    Options
    In addition to Raloxofeine I've also heard about a drug called Femara as a new addition to the estrogen blockers. I too have heard there's a 5 year limit recommended with Tamoxifen, but I don't know about the other 2. I wonder if your Mom is struggling with the effects of Tamoxifen or with the delayed effects some of the other treatments she might have had such as surgery, chemo or radiation. I also wonder if it takes some time for the body to adjust to Tamoxifen. Hope you and your mom get some answers. Best wishes. - Gay
  • bdean
    bdean Member Posts: 259
    Options
    I think she needs another doctor. Every article I have read that is up-to-date says findings now show there is no clinical benefit with Tamoxifen after 5 years.
    I don't remember how to spell these correctly but 2 others that work the same are: Aremidex; and Rolixfene ? maybe someone has the correct names and will give them to you. I will try and find them and correct myself. God bless you and your mother. Brenda
  • bdean
    bdean Member Posts: 259
    Options
    bdean said:

I think she needs another doctor. Every article I have read that is up-to-date says findings now show there is no clinical benefit with Tamoxifen after 5 years.
    I don't remember how to spell these correctly but 2 others that work the same are: Aremidex; and Rolixfene ? maybe someone has the correct names and will give them to you. I will try and find them and correct myself. God bless you and your mother. Brenda

I should have read the other answers to your question before I did mine. Here are the three I was thinking of; Raloxifene (which has been suggested); Fareston; and Arimidex---as I understand it the Femara is for metastasized breast cancer.
    Brenda
  • nancys
    nancys Member Posts: 323
    Options
    Johanna, Tell us about what side effects your mom is having. The only thing I have heard women complain about is the hot flashes. I have been on Tamoxifen almost a year now and I do have some hot flashes, but nothing that I can not tolerate. I am 62 and I was surprised that I am getting hot flashes at all. Give us more detail and maybe we can offer suggestions. She should talk with her Doctor about her feelings and also question the "10 year Tamoxifen therapy" Just as everyone else has told you, 5 years is the usual for Tamoxifen. Nancy
  • alice123
    alice123 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi Johanna,
    I experienced the same feeling your Mom is having.Tamoxifen can cause depression and anxiety is one of they symtoms of depression.
    My Oncoligist perscribed Effexor. Its an antidepressant. It helped my anxiety symtoms so much I feel normal again. Have her ask her Incoligist about it before she gives up on it.
    Good Luck,
    Alice
  • genevieve m
    genevieve m Member Posts: 4
    Options
    alice123 said:

Hi Johanna,
    I experienced the same feeling your Mom is having.Tamoxifen can cause depression and anxiety is one of they symtoms of depression.
    My Oncoligist perscribed Effexor. Its an antidepressant. It helped my anxiety symtoms so much I feel normal again. Have her ask her Incoligist about it before she gives up on it.
    Good Luck,
    Alice

just wanted to share my story
    my recent experience
    Hi,

I just wanted to share my experience with tamoxifen and depression....
    '
    Was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma stage 1a E+/P+/Her2- in August. Node negative. I have been on lexapro for 8 years and it has worked great. After completion of radiation in November, has to switch from lexapro to effexor, so that I could take the tamoxifen.

Started on a low dose of effexor. Around the holidays, I was a little blue, then in February, started having bizarre thoughts about losing my job, my home, all my money and living out of my car. Even thoughts of suicide. It was very frightening to me, since my depression was managed so well for so many years.

Left 2 calls with my onc about this, and finally, stopped taking the tamoxifen. I went to see the onc, and he asked me about the symptoms. When I mentioned passing thoughts of suicide, it was all over. They had a guard take me to the ER, confiscated my clothes, and committed me via a section(title) 12 or pink slip to the psych ward. I was stunned. I thought I could talk my way out of the situation.

Was in-patient psych for 6 days. They upped my effexor. That was almost a month ago. I am still trying to recover from the depression. I need to go back to the onc, but the question I have is - was it the low dose of effexor, or was it the tamoxifen? As you can imagine, I am petrified of the tamoxifen after that experience. Any ideas on what you would do in a similar situation? Thanks