Ovary removal in lieu of Tamoxifen

Options
2»

Comments

• lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Options
    Just another thought on the subject
    I had a complete hysterectomy 20 years ago (not cancer related). This included my ovaries. Much to my surprise following my mastectomy, the pathology report indicated that my tumor was very high for estrogen (80%). The first question to my onco doc was "How come? since I hadn't had ovaries for 20 years making the stuff. He told me that there are other glands in the body that do produce it. Since, in my case, they were capable little buggers and produced plenty, whammo ER+ BC.
    I'm not posted this as a downer, but as another question you might want to pose to your onco, not the gyno doc. You are young and I would hate to have you have a false expectation of such a drastic surgery.
    Each of us is different. I am sending {{{{{hugs}}}}} and prayers your way as you face this decision. Lola
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options

Just another thought on the subject
    I had a complete hysterectomy 20 years ago (not cancer related). This included my ovaries. Much to my surprise following my mastectomy, the pathology report indicated that my tumor was very high for estrogen (80%). The first question to my onco doc was "How come? since I hadn't had ovaries for 20 years making the stuff. He told me that there are other glands in the body that do produce it. Since, in my case, they were capable little buggers and produced plenty, whammo ER+ BC.
    I'm not posted this as a downer, but as another question you might want to pose to your onco, not the gyno doc. You are young and I would hate to have you have a false expectation of such a drastic surgery.
    Each of us is different. I am sending {{{{{hugs}}}}} and prayers your way as you face this decision. Lola

Yes, that's right
    Your fat cells produce estrogen as well. Good thing to ask the doc. about before making your decison.
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Wolfi said:

I know this is an old post
    Hi everyone.

I know this is an old post but I have exactly the same question.

After radiation I am suppose to start Tamoxifen. I spoke to my gyno and she found out from my genetic counselor that Tamoxifen for five years or having my ovaries removed would decrease my reoccurance for bc by the same percentage. I have to meet with my regualar oncologist next Wednesday and would like some feedback from people who have chosen to have their ovaries removed instead of taking Tamoxifen.

I am 41 but unable to have any more children so ovary removal won't affect my reproductive system like it would for younger women who could still possibly have children after Tamoxifen.

Thanks.

Thanks everyone
    Thanks for all of your comments and experiences. I will talk to my oncologist and find out what he thinks about all of it. I just want to go into the appointment armed with the most information and questions I can write down so that I am satisfied that I've done all I can for myself. I've learned so much in the past few months about breast cancer and treatments and I just want to make sure I've covering all the bases with the rest of my treatments.

I appreciate all the info and concern for my health you have posted here.

Wolfi
  • Taina
    Taina Member Posts: 166
    Options
    I never heard of that
    Really...I'm 44 y.o. had a lumpectomy, 4 tx of chemo, now on rads, my last one be November 20th. I have an appt with my Oncology to talk about Tamoxifen. I never heard if you take your ovaries then there is no need of the pill....any other information about this????
    Thanks!!!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Taina said:

I never heard of that
    Really...I'm 44 y.o. had a lumpectomy, 4 tx of chemo, now on rads, my last one be November 20th. I have an appt with my Oncology to talk about Tamoxifen. I never heard if you take your ovaries then there is no need of the pill....any other information about this????
    Thanks!!!

Good thoughts
    good discussions two months ago.
    Kathy partially answering your question.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Good thoughts
    good discussions two months ago.
    Kathy partially answering your question.

My doc has talked about
    My doc has talked about lupron and frankly I dont want it. my second opinion did not mention it. What was the pain about? Also is fosamax bad???