RECTAL CANCER

halfonz
halfonz Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
DIAGNOSED 4/2000 WITH PROBABLE STAGE THREE VIA COLONOSCOPY. UNDERWENT CHEMO/RADIATION BEGINNING THAT JUNE FOR 28 DAYS. HAD RESECTION SURGERY 8/2000. TUMOR HAD 100% RESPONSE BUT 3 OF 8 LYMPH NODES POSITIVE AFTER SURGERY.HAVE TEMPORARY ILEOSTOMY. BACK ON CHEMO THREE WEEKS AFTER SURGERY(CPT-11) FOR SIX MONTHS, JUST COMPLETED. BLOOD TESTS, CAT AND PET SCANS ALL FAVORABLE. SCHEDULED FOR SURGERY BEGINNING OF APRIL TO RECONNECT (REVERSE ILEOSTOMY). ANYBODY WITH SIMILAR EXPERIENCE, COMMENTS. WAS 55 WHEN TREATMENT BEGAN. THANKS.

Comments

• wiley_eb
    wiley_eb Member Posts: 4
    Hi -
    Had similiar experience. I was diagnosed in April '99 with what they thought was Stage III/IV. Immediately had a colostomy, installation of portacath, upper and lower lapriscopic exam. Six weeks of radiation with continuous infusion chemo. first and last week (5-FU w/leucovorin). Resection at end of June. No sign of lymph node involvement - a surprise to everyone. Had reverse ileostomy at end of August '99, and started 24 weeks of chem. (once a week) in October. Had my last chemo. January 31, 2000. Now doing 3 month follow-up exams, blood work, etc. Everything looks good at this point.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Hang in there - stay positive.

I've got a web page on this site if you want to check it out.

Bud Wjiley
  • lhnsngr1
    lhnsngr1 Member Posts: 2
    wiley_eb said:

Hi -
    Had similiar experience. I was diagnosed in April '99 with what they thought was Stage III/IV. Immediately had a colostomy, installation of portacath, upper and lower lapriscopic exam. Six weeks of radiation with continuous infusion chemo. first and last week (5-FU w/leucovorin). Resection at end of June. No sign of lymph node involvement - a surprise to everyone. Had reverse ileostomy at end of August '99, and started 24 weeks of chem. (once a week) in October. Had my last chemo. January 31, 2000. Now doing 3 month follow-up exams, blood work, etc. Everything looks good at this point.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Hang in there - stay positive.

I've got a web page on this site if you want to check it out.

Bud Wjiley

I am glad to hear that you are doing well. I was diagnosed in Jan 00 with rectal cancer stage III with lymph-node involvement, but no mestastasis. Did not spread to liver or other vital organs. I went through 3 full weeks of chemo ( with breaks in between) and 38 days of radiation. I did not have the surgery, but having other problems. Would like to know if anyone has side effects such as bleeding and bloating of stomach area after treatments and for how long?
  • robisonn
    robisonn Member Posts: 4
    have rare type cancer called clear cell and origin was in left over cells from hystorectomy but grew into colon and rectum. i also had chemo/radiation a resection and an iliostomy. Then had reversal of iliostomy after 6 mos. I was misdiagnosed by two hospitals but by the grace of God that is what saved my life. I was 46 in 1997 when diagnose and a nurse, I knew the sighn,had the signs and ignored the signs and my tumors were t 3's.I hate colight drink!
  • s.w.johnson
    s.w.johnson Member Posts: 10
    I had stage III rectal cancer with full removal of my rectum after preoperative chemo and radiation. I had spincter sparing surgery with a temporary ileostomy. I am 10 months in remission and doing well with the bowel retraining. I am here to help with any questions. Steve
  • virgieo
    virgieo Member Posts: 1
    Same experience a year and a half ago, except I was between a stage 1 and stage 2, didn't need radiation or chemo, but had the ileostomy, followed six weeks later by a reverse ileostomy. It took about a year to get things back to normal, but each month was better than the previous. I was 53 when the cancer was discovered during a colonoscopy which I asked for (no symptoms - just a family history).