Sore and dry mouth

Options
sueholm
sueholm Member Posts: 205
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. during this first AC chemo, i developed very sore mouth, thrush, then burnt tongue feeling and really dry. I was reading up on it, and it looks as if I am going to have it for the duration. So if anyone can give me some suggestions on how to prevent,and how to soothe i would be most grateful. worst is, it keeps waking me in the night, and the research indicated that this is the major problem. thanks for anticipated input. susan

Comments

• catherine
    catherine Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Dear Susan:
    Regarding the sore month and thrush, I suggest that you can eat KIWI fruit 2~3pcs everyday or use 4~5 pcs of orange to make the orange juice. Besides, take 1 tablet of Centrum(complex vitamin) and 1 tablet of Vitamin C(500mg) everyday. All the methods above can improve your discomforts you mentioned.
    There is a kind of medicine named "Activan" can provide you a very sweet sleep. I remember when I took the Chemo Therapy, I can't sleep till midnight or it's very easy to wake up in the midnight. My oncologist perscribed me the "Activan", it really works! Activan provides me a very good sleeping quality.
    I used the above methods to conquer my uncomfortable symdromes, I hope they are also effective to you.
    Everyting will be fine and the discomforts will go away. I'll pray for you. God is always with you. Love & hug Catherine Chen
  • jackies
    jackies Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi Sue, it's Jackie, replying to your sore dry mouth problem--been there, done that, got it right now as a matter of fact. I have discovered that in the middle of each cycle, at the point when my white count is lowest, is when I get painful sores in my mouth. They usually last 3-5 days, then, as my counts begin to rise, the sores begin healing. My oncologist gave me some prescription mouthwash, which gives temporary relief. It's a mixture of Mylanta, Lidocaine, and liquid Benadryl. I just swish it around and spit it out. I use it every 2-3 hrs. when my mouth is really sore. They also recommend using a salt water rinse after every meal. Sometimes, when the pain is really bad, I just take a percocet (or even 1/2 of one) and rest for a while. Hope this is helpful. And remember, this too shall pass! (I'm telling myself that as much as you!) Take care and keep in touch! Jackie
  • mjdp2
    mjdp2 Member Posts: 133
    Options
    My nurse told me to suck on ice chips during the infusion. I didn't get any mouth sores. Did anyone else try this? Margaret
  • maggie
    maggie Member Posts: 71
    Options
    Hey Sue, When I took my chemo, my onologist told me to eat ice chips or suck on lemon drops while getting the treatment and they might would prevent the sores. I don't know if that would work for you, but I never got any mouth sores. Take care and may God bless you, Maggie
  • jane38
    jane38 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    I was finally given a Nystatin swish and swallow. Another time when it was really bad I was given a GI cocktail. I don't remember everything in it but it did have lidocaine in it, a local anesthetic, and it worked wonders. Good luck with it. Jane
  • sueholm
    sueholm Member Posts: 205
    Options
    maggie said:

Hey Sue, When I took my chemo, my onologist told me to eat ice chips or suck on lemon drops while getting the treatment and they might would prevent the sores. I don't know if that would work for you, but I never got any mouth sores. Take care and may God bless you, Maggie

thanks everyone for your suggestions! i too given the nystatin, helped with the thrush, will ask abt lidocaine, and will try ice cubes. i am feeling great today. finally feel normal. next chemo monday. take care. susan
  • gjjoybug
    gjjoybug Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I had my second AC treatment today and sucked on ice chips, so we will see. My mouth and tongue were pretty sore for 3 or 4 days the week after my first treatment. I read that popsicles or fudgsicles do the same thing -- and taste better and are more fun! Apparently you only have to suck on it during the actual infusion of Adriamycin. Good luck.
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    More Remedies...
    I had the same thing with my mouth and tongue. My doctors prescribed a mixture of salt, baking soda and water. I was to rinse 4 - 5 times a day. The mixture was 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt to 8 oz. of water. They also recommended a soft toothbrush, Biotene toothpaste and mouth wash (no alcohol). The Biotene products were good, but the baking soda/salt/water rinse was the best for me. They also suggested that I keep a supply of lemon drop on hand for the dryness. Hope this helps a bit. Marilynn
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options
    mgm42 said:

More Remedies...
    I had the same thing with my mouth and tongue. My doctors prescribed a mixture of salt, baking soda and water. I was to rinse 4 - 5 times a day. The mixture was 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt to 8 oz. of water. They also recommended a soft toothbrush, Biotene toothpaste and mouth wash (no alcohol). The Biotene products were good, but the baking soda/salt/water rinse was the best for me. They also suggested that I keep a supply of lemon drop on hand for the dryness. Hope this helps a bit. Marilynn

FYI
    Just thought you might like to know that this thread was initially written in Dec. 2000 and the person who wrote it is no longer a regular on this site. Thank you for the info. HUGS!! Cathy