DCIS Experience

jismine
jismine Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Looking for someone to discuss their experience. I was diagnosed in Sept. Had mastectomy in Oct.

Comments

• judyl
    judyl Member Posts: 1
    I also have that precancerous (ha) diagnosis and went thru mastectomy 9/14. I had an expander placed but got an infection, so it was removed and now we wait and start again in a few months. Feel free to e-mail me, remember the holidays are coming and we all are here to go shopng once agian. May your holidays be pleasant and your new year be healthy.
  • jismine
    jismine Member Posts: 2
    judyl said:

I also have that precancerous (ha) diagnosis and went thru mastectomy 9/14. I had an expander placed but got an infection, so it was removed and now we wait and start again in a few months. Feel free to e-mail me, remember the holidays are coming and we all are here to go shopng once agian. May your holidays be pleasant and your new year be healthy.

Hi Judyl,
    Thanks for responding to my message. This web site has let me know that I am no where near alone. I had the tram flap reconstruction. No problems thus far. Just received the green light to return to work. I work with special ed students. If I'm not being too nosey, tell me about your experience. Mine happened so fast. Had a routine mammogram in Sept. and biopsy in early Oct. By Oct. 13 I was in the hospital having my left breast removed. DCIS was non-invasive so no form of chemo or radiation was necessary. Still deciding on nipple reconstruction. Well, that's my story. Look forward to hearing from you. Have a great day!
  • jismine said:

Hi Judyl,
    Thanks for responding to my message. This web site has let me know that I am no where near alone. I had the tram flap reconstruction. No problems thus far. Just received the green light to return to work. I work with special ed students. If I'm not being too nosey, tell me about your experience. Mine happened so fast. Had a routine mammogram in Sept. and biopsy in early Oct. By Oct. 13 I was in the hospital having my left breast removed. DCIS was non-invasive so no form of chemo or radiation was necessary. Still deciding on nipple reconstruction. Well, that's my story. Look forward to hearing from you. Have a great day!

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • pamtriggs
    pamtriggs Member Posts: 386
    jismine said:

Hi Judyl,

Glad you have recovered so quickly from your operation. One word of warning though. You say no further treatment as it was non invasive. So was mine - or so they said and I had no further treatment. How come I am now in recurrence with bone & lung mets. If I were you I would ask for 5 years of Tamixifen or Femara to be sure. Love & hugs. Pam
  • pamtriggs said:

Glad you have recovered so quickly from your operation. One word of warning though. You say no further treatment as it was non invasive. So was mine - or so they said and I had no further treatment. How come I am now in recurrence with bone & lung mets. If I were you I would ask for 5 years of Tamixifen or Femara to be sure. Love & hugs. Pam

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Watercolor
    Watercolor Member Posts: 45
    9 years after DCIS diagnosis
    I was diagnosed with DCIS in November '02. Lumpectomy (clean margins first go), usual radiation treatments (no problems with it), five years of Tamoxifen (no problems with it). One biopsy in, IIRC, November '05 with negative results. I am just fine today.
  • j3rey
    j3rey Member Posts: 57
    DCIS in SITU

I was just diagnosed last week. Head is spinning with options. Doctor is suggesting a lumpectomy with radiation and then tamoxifen.  Truly don't want to take Tamoxifen, female patten baldness runs in my family and I have struggled with it. My hair is stable right now. I am post menopausal and have taken hormone replacement therapy which I stopped cold turkey two weeks ago. ANy and all advice about experiencs with DCIS and Tamoxifen would be so appreciated

• Evee
    Evee Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2020 #9
    Mucinous Cancer

Hi J3rey,

I was diagnosed in March. I had a partial

Mastectomy, receiving radiation at the moment. I'm post menopausal and on Aromatase (Anastrozole generic for

Arimitex) I too w on estrogen hormone and had to stop on diagnosis. My Dr said, postmenopausal women always get an Aromatase inhibitor and premenapausal women are given Tamoxifen. Aromatase inhibits the production of estrogen/progesterone if your cancer is hormone positive. Ask your Dr. If you're a candidate for an

Aromatase. Not sure if this would work for you but it can't hurt to ask. 

Good Luck! 

• catlady2
    catlady2 Member Posts: 50 Member
    edited July 2020 #10
    DCIS experience and moving forward...

I had a lumpectomy and radiation for grade 3 DCIS, I just had my yearly scans and all is clear, so far. DCIS is still such a mystery.  Unfortunately, mine is ER and PR negative so for now there is no identified drug treatment to further reduce my chance of reccurence.

I follow the new American Cancer Society diet and exercise guidelines for cancer prevention that also may help lower the risk of recurrence and hope for the best. 

Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center has a recurrence prediction tool designed for DCIS patients who have had breast conserving surgery (lumpectomy).  Hope their predictions are correct because according to them my chances for reccurrence are 4% . 

Stay strong and safe everyone!  If you have any prevention tips-please share.  Every little bit helps!