I now have both a AMS CX & AUS 800 implants

tshug
tshug Member Posts: 7

This is not to scare anyone, but hopefully to help with your recovery from Prostate cancer.  I'm 69 now and had a radical prostatectomy in 2017. My PSA's have been .02-.03 since the surgery. As a result of the surgery though I became permanently incontinent even though I was told very few men experience this. After a year and a half of physical therapy, thousands of kegels, and going through 5-6 pads a day I had the AUS surgery done in 2018. For those that don't know the AUS is a 3 piece device with a small small pump in the scrotum that I have to press when I have to piss. Sounds complicated, but that device gave me back my life back. Another consequence from the prostate surgery was the ED as a result of it that never fully went away even with Cialis and Viagra. On top of that I developed Peyronie's disease on my penis. The Peyronies caused a sharp bend in the penis. My urologist gave me two choices going forward for the ED and Peyronies. The prostate surgery and Peyronies also left my penis 2" shorter. My choices were either to have a penile plication and excision of the plaque causing the bend or have a penile implant. I opted for the implant which I had done last week on 12/16. The recovery time for it is 4-6 weeks. The last 3 years have been a journey and I'm hoping that this is my last surgery. I just wanted to post this in case anyone else is going through this and has questions about any of the implants available.

tshug

Comments

  • Flyer83948
    Flyer83948 Member Posts: 34
    Thanks for the information,

    Thanks for the information, tshug. A long journey, indeed. Really happy for you that the AUS worked out and hope that all else goes your way, too.

  • MK1965
    MK1965 Member Posts: 231 Member
    edited December 2020 #3
    tshug,

    tshug,

    I had prostate cancer and went with robotic RP in 11/2016.

    I was 51 y/o at time of diagnosis and RP. I also lost 2+ inches of lenght and some girth.

    Never recovered sexual function despite aggressive penile rehab.

    Just recently (12/2/20),  had penile implant revision and I received AMS CX.

    Recovery was way easier comparing to my first implant. I am 2 weeks ahead of you.

    My surgeon is activating his patients at 6 weeks from surgery.

    MK

  • VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,513 Member
    edited December 2020 #4
    Mechanical parts

    Tshug,

    Though seeming strange to have on/off switches implanted in one's body,  I think both implants are good as they provide quality of life which should be our aim when deciding on surgery. 

    Fortunately to me, I have been continent since my RP of 2000 and managed to over power ED to some extent (best attempts at 4 o'clock direction), but the shortening of the penis has been annoying. When I seat on the toilet-sink it points forward projecting the urine under the lid. I have to force it down with my hand to avoid wetting everything. 

    Best wishes in your endeavor. 

    VG

     

  • tshug
    tshug Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2020 #5

    Thanks for the information,

    Thanks for the information, tshug. A long journey, indeed. Really happy for you that the AUS worked out and hope that all else goes your way, too.

    Thanks Flyer.

    Thanks Flyer.

  • tshug
    tshug Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2020 #6
    MK1965 said:

    tshug,

    tshug,

    I had prostate cancer and went with robotic RP in 11/2016.

    I was 51 y/o at time of diagnosis and RP. I also lost 2+ inches of lenght and some girth.

    Never recovered sexual function despite aggressive penile rehab.

    Just recently (12/2/20),  had penile implant revision and I received AMS CX.

    Recovery was way easier comparing to my first implant. I am 2 weeks ahead of you.

    My surgeon is activating his patients at 6 weeks from surgery.

    MK

    MK1965 good luck with your

    MK1965 good luck with your recovery as well. What type of implant was your first one and how long did it last? My surgeon decided on the CX for me because of the AUS. My surgeon said activation would be 4-6 weeks. If swelling and bruising were gone then they my activate at 4 weeks. I'm thinking it will be 6 weeks based on the recovery so far.

    tshug

  • Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 317 Member
    AMS 800

    I had similar permanent side effect outcomes, following my robotic prostate removal surgery in 2011.  I had my first AMS 800 implant in 2013, and it lasted for 6 years, prior to failure.  I received my replacement AMS 800 implant in 2019, and it it currently working as designed.  Clearly, these devices do not last forever, however, they did, and do, give me back a very much required factor for maintaining a full quality of life -> social continence

  • tshug
    tshug Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2020 #8

    Mechanical parts

    Tshug,

    Though seeming strange to have on/off switches implanted in one's body,  I think both implants are good as they provide quality of life which should be our aim when deciding on surgery. 

    Fortunately to me, I have been continent since my RP of 2000 and managed to over power ED to some extent (best attempts at 4 o'clock direction), but the shortening of the penis has been annoying. When I seat on the toilet-sink it points forward projecting the urine under the lid. I have to force it down with my hand to avoid wetting everything. 

    Best wishes in your endeavor. 

    VG

     

    Thanks VG. The key words in

    Thanks VG. The key words in your comment "quality of life" are what it's all about. ED & incontinence doesn't happen to everyone, but it's nice to know that there are options available to get your social life back in order.

    tshug

  • tshug
    tshug Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2020 #9
    Josephg said:

    AMS 800

    I had similar permanent side effect outcomes, following my robotic prostate removal surgery in 2011.  I had my first AMS 800 implant in 2013, and it lasted for 6 years, prior to failure.  I received my replacement AMS 800 implant in 2019, and it it currently working as designed.  Clearly, these devices do not last forever, however, they did, and do, give me back a very much required factor for maintaining a full quality of life -> social continence

    AUS 800

    Joseph, my doctors have told me there is a life expectancy on these implants generally 8-10 years. Some last longer and some less. For my AUS my doctor advised to deactivate it at night to take the pressure of the cuff and urethra to give it a break. I've been doing this and hopefully it will preserve it longer.

    tshug

  • Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 317 Member
    edited December 2020 #10
    tshug said:

    AUS 800

    Joseph, my doctors have told me there is a life expectancy on these implants generally 8-10 years. Some last longer and some less. For my AUS my doctor advised to deactivate it at night to take the pressure of the cuff and urethra to give it a break. I've been doing this and hopefully it will preserve it longer.

    tshug

    Deactivation

    My surgeon recommended that I not deactivate it often, as the deactivation components themselves also have a defined failure rate.  So, who knows.  Just roll the dice, and hope for the longest life, before replacement becomes necessary.  Still, the AMS 800 is a true game changer in regaining quality of life for those of us who have complete incontinence, after RP surgery.

  • jimco236
    jimco236 Member Posts: 13 Member
    edited January 2021 #11
    I have both AUS 800 and 700.

    I have both AUS 800 and 700. My doctor told me to use them as intended. My 700 is 6 years old and never been deactivated since activation. I lost a couple of inches too and I didn't have any excess to start with.

  • Damp
    Damp Member Posts: 25 Member
    edited January 2021 #12
    tshug said:

    Thanks VG. The key words in

    Thanks VG. The key words in your comment "quality of life" are what it's all about. ED & incontinence doesn't happen to everyone, but it's nice to know that there are options available to get your social life back in order.

    tshug

    My choice

    While reading the posts regarding how these devices have improved quality of life for those with incontinence after a prostatectomy, I feel a little differently.  I had a prostatectomy in April of 2017 after having greenlight surgery several years prior.  Along with the prostatectomy, I had a bladder diverticulotomy.  I had some control issues before my prostatectomy, and wore diapers on occasion.  Since then, I wear diapers nearly 24/7.  I chose not to have a device implanted that I would have to activate in order to void.  I had become relatively comfortable with the need to wear protection, and was managing fairly well.  I don't feel that my quallity of life has suffered anymore than using a mechanical device to release urine.  Plus, I don't have to worry about equipment failure, and having it redone sometime down the road.  I'm closing in on 74 yrs on this planet, and now with chronic heart failure I feel fortunate that I can manage my health issues the best I know how.  Everyone is different, and needs to make those choices that is best for them.

  • tshug
    tshug Member Posts: 7
    Damp said:

    My choice

    While reading the posts regarding how these devices have improved quality of life for those with incontinence after a prostatectomy, I feel a little differently.  I had a prostatectomy in April of 2017 after having greenlight surgery several years prior.  Along with the prostatectomy, I had a bladder diverticulotomy.  I had some control issues before my prostatectomy, and wore diapers on occasion.  Since then, I wear diapers nearly 24/7.  I chose not to have a device implanted that I would have to activate in order to void.  I had become relatively comfortable with the need to wear protection, and was managing fairly well.  I don't feel that my quallity of life has suffered anymore than using a mechanical device to release urine.  Plus, I don't have to worry about equipment failure, and having it redone sometime down the road.  I'm closing in on 74 yrs on this planet, and now with chronic heart failure I feel fortunate that I can manage my health issues the best I know how.  Everyone is different, and needs to make those choices that is best for them.

    My Choice

    I agree with you that it's everyone own choice as how to how they treat and handle their care after after a prostatectomy. I posted this for those who may be looking for other options besides pads/diapers, viagra/cialis, and other remedies. It's hard to make the decision to go with an implant, but it's nice to have a sitev where you can from others on their experiences with an implant.