Question for male patients

when i found out i had kidney cancer my urologist said i had enlarged prostrate which he said was common for men my age(65). He said that with the enlarged prostate and the fact i would only have one kidney left after my surgery, i would need to take flomax and finasteride for rest of my life to be sure i didn't have issues with existing kidney. Have any of you had to take these meds or is my urologist being overly cautious?

Comments

  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,359 Member
    I took Flomax

    sed,

     

     

    I believe both are related to an enlarged prostate. Not aware of any connection to only having 1 kidney.

     

     

     

    icemantoo

  • sedonaman
    sedonaman Member Posts: 21
    icemantoo said:

    I took Flomax

    sed,

     

     

    I believe both are related to an enlarged prostate. Not aware of any connection to only having 1 kidney.

     

     

     

    icemantoo

    Thanks un

    Thanks for your feedback, so you still  take It? I was told it was because too much stress on existing kidney if I did not have good urine flow and woukd back up kidney ?? Seems more of a precaution to me and  don't like taking meds if not needed. Of course it serves a purpose  to extend my life that is different. 

  • a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    Just wanted to say my husband

    Just wanted to say my husband was prescribed this drug after his hospitalization.  Basically it improves flow and actually being able to feel like you emptied your bladder when you urinate.  So the good news is that you dont have to go to the bathroom as often, nor need to go in the middle of the night.  He would say its beneficial with no side effects for him.

  • CRashster
    CRashster Member Posts: 241
    Go with the flow.

    After my surgery, it was found out that I was only emptying 25% of my bladder and I was put on flomax. Now, I am very freeflowing. The only side effect I have suffered is dry ejaculations, which to me is very weird, but hilarious to my friends.

  • sedonaman
    sedonaman Member Posts: 21
    a_oaklee said:

    Just wanted to say my husband

    Just wanted to say my husband was prescribed this drug after his hospitalization.  Basically it improves flow and actually being able to feel like you emptied your bladder when you urinate.  So the good news is that you dont have to go to the bathroom as often, nor need to go in the middle of the night.  He would say its beneficial with no side effects for him.

    Thanks for sharing about husband

    I appreciate you telling me about your husband's experiences. There seems to be so much to learn 

  • sedonaman
    sedonaman Member Posts: 21
    CRashster said:

    Go with the flow.

    After my surgery, it was found out that I was only emptying 25% of my bladder and I was put on flomax. Now, I am very freeflowing. The only side effect I have suffered is dry ejaculations, which to me is very weird, but hilarious to my friends.

    I agree with you

    Glad your friends think it is funny! were you told you would  be on it forever? 5

  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,359 Member
    sedonaman said:

    I agree with you

    Glad your friends think it is funny! were you told you would  be on it forever? 5

    Flomax

    Check with your URO about Alfuzosin instead of Flomax

     

     

    icemantoo

  • CRashster
    CRashster Member Posts: 241
    icemantoo said:

    Flomax

    Check with your URO about Alfuzosin instead of Flomax

     

     

    icemantoo

    Flomax

    He's already switched me to Doxazosin, which also helps with my BP, with less side effects.

  • CRashster
    CRashster Member Posts: 241
    sedonaman said:

    I agree with you

    Glad your friends think it is funny! were you told you would  be on it forever? 5

    Yup.

    I'm on alot of things forever.

  • sedonaman
    sedonaman Member Posts: 21
    icemantoo said:

    Flomax

    Check with your URO about Alfuzosin instead of Flomax

     

     

    icemantoo

    Thanks

    I will check I to that, thanks for info.